FedEx Freight | a really big OOPS!!!

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
We have part timers who run the spotter. They don't check the oil and guess what........BOOM they shot a rod through the side of the engine block. I asked one of them today if he ever checked the oil. He said it's the shop's job to check it. He doesn't even know where the dipstick is on the spotter. How in the heck do they qualify people to use the equipment without teaching the basics. The mechanic said it was 4 gallons of oil low yesterday. The driver came to the shop because the engine was knocking so bad. The mechanic placed it out of service but some one took it this morning and ignored the out of service tag and Boom. I wonder if we will get a shiny new one for them to drive????

I was always leery that the same thing would happen to a shop spare tractor. They are driven by everyone under the sun, but it seems no one wants to check the oil REGULARLY in them. Usually get remarks such as it is so filthy and nasty that all I want to do is get my run over with and get out of it. Or, why should I check the oil when the 57 drivers ahead of me did not.
Always had to agree with their statements, but knew it would be a matter of time before the same thing happened to one of these tractors. Tried to get the shop tagged with the responsibility of checking these tractors at the end of each week but it fell on deaf ears.

[quote author=chitownpeddler link=topic=79843.msg827122#msg827122 date=1273028285]
We have part timers who run the spotter. They don't check the oil and guess what........BOOM they shot a rod through the side of the engine block. I asked one of them today if he ever checked the oil. He said it's the shop's job to check it. He doesn't even know where the dipstick is on the spotter. How in the heck do they qualify people to use the equipment without teaching the basics. The mechanic said it was 4 gallons of oil low yesterday. The driver came to the shop because the engine was knocking so bad. The mechanic placed it out of service but some one took it this morning and ignored the out of service tag and Boom. I wonder if we will get a shiny new one for them to drive????
[/quote]

Well look at ALL the new drivers (city and road) They don't check either. They expect you to know you are to check the oil and antifreeze. They don't tell them. NOW if you are a new hire and you have been a driver for awhile....shame on you if you don't check...your are just lazy.

Our driver/trainer runs all the new drivers through the pretrip process that includes checking fluid levels and that includes spotter/yard dog drivers. In fact the newest drivers at my location (last 2yrs) do better pretrips than the old-timers. If someone claims to not know how to check the fluids it's because of poor driver training. Also poor judgement on their part as I for one would never admit it!