A Roadway Express truck sits wedged

Root Access

TB Lurker
Credits
A Roadway Express truck sits wedged under a railroad overpass Wednesday afternoon on Harrison Avenue SW in Canton, just north of Navarre Road SW. news link

I am glad nobody was hurt and I hope he keeps his job. This one will be very hard to explain at the panel I'm sure.

even though these things are preventable and the driver is usually at fault, i always feel sorry for them. that must be a terrible feeling:wounded1:

keith said:
terrible feeling, what part of 12' doesn't he understand.....Here's your sign........
Yeah its not like it wasn't marked or anything.And besides that he hit it pretty hard.
Root Access said:
I am glad nobody was hurt and I hope he keeps his job.
But after all,he did say he was SORRY.

In my 43,plus years of driving truck for a living I did hit a bridge once.

I ran a route east of my city.
I went on vacation one summer.

I came back running the same roads to make my deliveries.
I came to a bridge that I was used to going under hammer down.

And away I went as per what I was used to,only this time the right rear corner of the roof hit the bridge beams and tore about a one foot gach in it.

Come to find out which I did notice,but didn't pay any attention to.
A repaving of that road was done when I was on my R.& R.,now the the road surface was 4 inches highier.

After I wacked the bridge I took notice that the road surface looked brand new with nice clean white lines.

Needless to say I stopped going that way.

My company let me pass on this accident,because it was a proven route before the town did the repave.

The company contacted the town to pay for the damaged equipment.

Now the the road has a wait limit sign to ward off any high trucks from going that way.

The only other thing I had to say about this was something my TM didn't think was as funny as me.

Was if the town wanted to repave they should of cut the road bed down to allow for trucks,or raise the bridge up highier.

I guess my TM has to much on his plate to find my jokes as funny as I think they are?

I was smart enough to not open my mouth untill I was cleared ,and the accident was ruled as a non-preventable

I think it would have been reasonable for the local DOT to post the bridge hight prior to the immediate approach to the bridge.

I guess after my company went after the town highway for all the repair costs.
The town decided to keep all large trucks off the road after that.

The mistake they made was not to post the road with the new bridge measurement right after the repaving.

They were found in the wrong and liable for my companys repares because of their feet dragging in not putting a height sign before the bridge,also to remark the birdge itself with the new hight,which would of been subtracting the 4 inches the road surface was after the repaving.
I think this is something they never thought about.

I must have been the first truckdriver to test the bridge height shortly after the repaving was complete.
I'm also sure I was the last driver with a high truck to use that road as well.

Some times we truckers win,but more offten we lose on questionable incidentces we encounter on our daily routines.

Maybe he was used to hauling flat bed loads?
He was getting some extra work as a casual at Roadway,than decided he liked the flat bed better,so he'd make a van into a flat bed,to feel more comfortable.

Just a guess I'm not a mind reader,if someone knows more about this accident,maybe they could post what this driver was thinking about when he tryed to stuff a 13'6" trailer into a 12 foot opening.

for the record there are also flashing yellow lights at that bridge

however they stuff about a half dozen trucks a year under that same bridge

The one thing thats never been printed on road maps is bridge hight measurments.
Maps show the best way to go but they don't give the best truck routes as a rule to avoid objects that could cause your termination A.S.A.P.

We had a bridge in Rochester that claimed a great many trucks,and trailers for years.
Than about a year ago,the road bed was cut down,so the clearence is now 14 feet.
I guess the city got sick of shutting down the road,and clearing away all the wreaks.

Cities should be legally required to post correct heights

I came up to a bridge in up state NY last week that was posted 12' 11''. Not knowing for sure I could clear it, I started my best "Oh @#*! this isn't good attempt to back up and turn my combo around on a side
street, which was posted at 5 tons from other trucks doing the same thing and trying to get out that way. A local cop came by on patrol, so I hit the brakes and asked him to watch traffic while I wiggled out of it. He said just go ahead and go under, its really 13'11''. If cities were required to have them posted properly and fined if they lie to keep trucks out, our jobs would be alot easier. It really sucks to have to make a call on a low bridge posting vs. backing up on curvy roads til you can get turned around.

Most bridges in upstate New York are posted one foot lower than the height they actualy are.
If a bridge is posted at 12'11'',its 13'11''.
This the the rule,but there are always exceptions.
Don't take anything forgranted,if your not sure,better to crawl up,and look,rather than hammer down,and destroy you trailer.

Apostolic said:
We had a bridge in Rochester that claimed a great many trucks,and trailers for years.
Than about a year ago,the road bed was cut down,so the clearence is now 14 feet.
I guess the city got sick of shutting down the road,and clearing away all the wreaks.
Is that the Bridge on Mt Read Blvd ?

Apostolic said:
Most bridges in upstate New York are posted one foot lower than the height they actualy are.
If a bridge is posted at 12'11'',its 13'11''.
This the the rule,but there are always exceptions.
Don't take anything forgranted,if your not sure,better to crawl up,and look,rather than hammer down,and destroy you trailer.
There is a RR bridge on Rt 63 North of Mt Morris that is marked 12 something and I remember the first time I came down the hill and approched it.I locked up my breaks ,layed about 50 yards of rubber just about turned sideways before the guy behind me screamed on the CB to get out of the way stupid you can make the bridge. NY is not noted for putting up big signs with bridge heights either.

The Lexington Ave bridge just east of Mt.Read Blvd.,was the trailer killer,for as long ago as I've been driving.
I started in 1963.
This is about 1 mile from my terminal.
Just last summer they finished cutting down the road bed to make its new height 14 feet after repaving.

Now anything can fly under it.

Except its only a 30 mph area.

I remember sometimes when the trailers that hit this bridge looked like the drivers was going around 65 when they hit it.

A very long time ago when Ragu sauce was being bottled in Rochester,a trailer hit this bridge so hard he made it all the way ,blowing out all of his tires.
Both sides ,and the back doors fell off spewing this sauce for about 300 feet.
It was there most of the day.
I stopped to check it out after work.
The guys doing the clean up were givinig away all the good cases of sauce to everyone that stopped by.
This was just one of many over the years.

There used to be a rail road bridge on 19 south of Leroy,that when it was still there you could of scraped up enough skidded rubber to make a set of tires.
It was very deceving it was about 13'9" but it looked like you'd never make it under if you were new to the area.
Its gone now.

Holy Crap, I think I seen that truck at my terminal at Copley. It's one of those 834 that was turned into a city truck so it's a number like 221 or something.