ABF | Abf Kansas City

The 050 terminal has 150 sleds on the dock at any given time. All freight goes on the platforms OS&D, Appt. everything.
It does speed loading and unloading. An inbound trailer is unloaded in minutes and can be reloaded to outbound in minutes.
Basically 20-30 minute turnaround.
They can be unloaded without removing them from the trailer as well. So if a EOL got one and didn't even have the converter to move them they could still be unloaded. The dock plate can go on top of the platform and drive the forklift on them.
It would be 2-3" higher.
Like Canary said it still comes down to moving an object from A-B. This is an interesting idea, not for every situation, but for some of our "nasty" freight it could be very helpful.
One of our customers ships movie screens some 26' long they load a trailer with a sled in it then the dock can just pull it off and work it from the "sides" to reduce damage.

I certainly hope the sled concept works since the company has spent funds developing it. Innovation gives an advantage to those who work to develop a more efficient method for doing business. I know the company has made blunders in the past & been used as a guinea pig for new, unproven equipment on tractors & also trailers. There was a saying in the maintenance department, 'We want to be on the leading edge of technology but not the bleeding edge'.

I certainly hope the sled concept works since the company has spent funds developing it. Innovation gives an advantage to those who work to develop a more efficient method for doing business. I know the company has made blunders in the past & been used as a guinea pig for new, unproven equipment on tractors & also trailers. There was a saying in the maintenance department, 'We want to be on the leading edge of technology but not the bleeding edge'.
The sleds should come in handy with yrc not taking any freight over 12ft long....

I have never seen one in person....
One of the guys said they weigh 4000 pounds. I don’t know if that’s for 2 sleds or one but they are heavy duty. That’s a lot of weight to lose if your terminal has a lot of heavy loads to begin with. We haul a lot of ammunition out of our area. Loads are alway 22,000 a pup or more. They have to use racks and that will kill them on shipping.

One of the guys said they weigh 4000 pounds. I don’t know if that’s for 2 sleds or one but they are heavy duty. That’s a lot of weight to lose if your terminal has a lot of heavy loads to begin with. We haul a lot of ammunition out of our area. Loads are alway 22,000 a pup or more. They have to use racks and that will kill them on shipping.
Not sure buy I heard they are 5000 lb each. Which leaves @ the most 16,000 you could load. If you could space it right.

Is there a date for the new KC terminal to open? I haven’t heard anything for a while.
They are training in the new whse now. City/road drivers taking freight there daily. All operations will likely be another month or so. Our terminal is a mess right now, delays, slow dispatching, etc

They are training in the new whse now. City/road drivers taking freight there daily. All operations will likely be another month or so. Our terminal is a mess right now, delays, slow dispatching, etc
That's every terminal, it seems to be the new normal. Hiring incompetent management that micromanage & still operate at a 105 seems to be ABF' future....