ABF | Abf Or No?

ABF or Tanker

• Total voters

Lucas Laganiere

TB Lurker
Credits
Good morning and Happy Labor Day!! I have a question for all of you ABF people... I have been offered a full time P&D/Dock position at the terminal in San Antonio. I have also been offered a position with an established company that has opened up a new terminal within San Antonio and it would be pulling non hazerdous tanker. I would be the only driver to start out as and they are wanting to add 3-4 more trucks in a year which follows their business model at their other locations. The pay starting out is ahead of ABFs starting wage by about $.50 an hour and I get 2 weeks of vacation after 1 year and all major holidays paid with OT after 40 hours. I can make my own schedule and it is strictly M-F, I will have to pay my own medical for family of 4 ($420 per month) You all know what ABF offers so that will save me $420 a month right there. The pension "crisis" kind of worries me, I guess I would plan on there not being a pension for me at retirement. It seems like ABF is not the great place that it used to be, but still a very solid place to work. Either place I am wanting to make a career of it and I'm looking for input on what you guys think... thanks!

The terminal that I started at was all night work, sleep in the daytime. Put that into your considerations.
At my terminal the terminal manager gets great delight in seeing drivers be miserable and what he can do to make them more miserable. The last contract was two years to get one week of vacation and 8 years to get two weeks of vacation. Our terminal manager will not allow senior drivers to have extra time off when it is slow even though the new drivers are sitting at home with no work.

The latest news in trucking is the size of trucking companies going bankrupt without notice...

https://www.overdriveonline.com/owner-op-heavy-fleet-hvh-transportation-shutters-operations/

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/s...randed-two-days-after-companys-abrupt-closure

https://cdllife.com/2019/dispatcher...king-company-lied-about-getting-drivers-home/

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/minnesota-carrier-lme-abruptly-closes-doors-leaving-workers-dark

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/new...ankruptcy-plans-wind-down-trucking-operations

While the latest it truckload carrier HVH with around 350 drivers or lease operators you have to consider that LTL companies NEMF and LME have shut their doors. The freight industry is not stable right now and you could end up getting laid off at ABF. So far I have not seen one tanker company closing their doors but who knows at this point.

Good morning and Happy Labor Day!! I have a question for all of you ABF people... I have been offered a full time P&D/Dock position at the terminal in San Antonio. I have also been offered a position with an established company that has opened up a new terminal within San Antonio and it would be pulling non hazerdous tanker. I would be the only driver to start out as and they are wanting to add 3-4 more trucks in a year which follows their business model at their other locations. The pay starting out is ahead of ABFs starting wage by about $.50 an hour and I get 2 weeks of vacation after 1 year and all major holidays paid with OT after 40 hours. I can make my own schedule and it is strictly M-F, I will have to pay my own medical for family of 4 ($420 per month) You all know what ABF offers so that will save me $420 a month right there. The pension "crisis" kind of worries me, I guess I would plan on there not being a pension for me at retirement. It seems like ABF is not the great place that it used to be, but still a very solid place to work. Either place I am wanting to make a career of it and I'm looking for input on what you guys think... thanks!

I like ABF. Worked there 18 years. But, I think their mission is to leave the freight division as soon as they can. A non-union work force & not paying in to a very expensive pension fund is the goal of any Union outfit. Less cost to the company & more control of the work force is the dream of any company. The current union contract with ABF Freight is about the best in trucking outside of UPS. So get it while you can is my advice. If you are laid off. you should have little problems finding part time work. The union hall might help you until your call back. von.

I like ABF. Worked there 18 years. But, I think their mission is to leave the freight division as soon as they can. A non-union work force & not paying in to a very expensive pension fund is the goal of any Union outfit. Less cost to the company & more control of the work force is the dream of any company. The current union contract with ABF Freight is about the best in trucking outside of UPS. So get it while you can is my advice. If you are laid off. you should have little problems finding part time work. The union hall might help you until your call back. von.

Good point, Bro. Von......Knowing what I know about Employment-at-Will,...and Liability....I don't think I would operate a commercial vehicle on Public streets without a Third-Party Advocate (Union...) between me, my employer, and the (litigious) General Public...

Too many "lawyers" out there proclaiming: "No Fee Unless We Get Money For...YOU!"

If for no other reason,...I would look for a Union carrier......

Good point, Bro. Von......Knowing what I know about Employment-at-Will,...and Liability....I don't think I would operate a commercial vehicle on Public streets without a Third-Party Advocate (Union...) between me, my employer, and the (litigious) General Public...

Too many "lawyers" out there proclaiming: "No Fee Unless We Get Money For...YOU!"

Did not think of that, but a very good point. Attorneys go where the money is. Kind of reinforces the quote 'Show Me the Money'. And I will sue on your behalf. von

I think I would forget trucking,and go to law school....

"With your Own Authority".......so that if there's ever a....Liability issue,....ArcBest can....disavow all knowledge......You're "merely" a contractor.....

No Logbook oversight to insure compliance,.....
No insurance oversight to protect the Public......
No maintenance oversight to insure a safe vehicle.......

Yee-Haw! Whatever you can get away with!....And as cheaply as you can run a truck for.....I wonder how low the...mileage rates are?

And,...as a former O/O,.....the only insurance provided by a company,...is to protect their load and equipment.......Your Tractor Liability,.....is your own lookout.....especially if you're operating under your own Base Plate and Authority.....

Desperate for Drivers much? How about returning to the Ol' Company Policy,......of paying well, providing good pensions, and respecting employees' collective bargaining rights?

Or, ...is that too Drastic for the Modern 21st Century Business Model?

Good luck. If your new job and has a 401 k plan I strongly suggest you take advantage of it. Go online and google 401 k calculator and use several scenarios to see what you can accomplish with your years working.
You shouldn't have to contribute for your own retirement why can't companies put in the maximum every year for you bring back pensions!

420 month probably for dog chow benefits. So your paying half the cost, sounds like a great company. Here will give your 50 cents hour more. You give us back 2.60 an hour. Great

ABF is a good company to work for, just people don't want to pay there dues. Nights, swing shifts, peddles,dock etc. Like canary said I would never be a truck driver without the union as a buffer.

You shouldn't have to contribute for your own retirement why can't companies put in the maximum every year for you bring back pensions!
AND bring back all the jobs from China, free lunches, free cell phone, free college tuition..welfare...throw all those in and MORE while you are at it! Hey, the guv-mint just has to use ink and paper to print mo' money ? Right?

Don’t forget to factor in about 7 .......”market adjustments” ......over a 30 year period......

Might kind of....skew.....that 30 year projection........
Brother Canary, could you post the exact numbers you are speaking of please? You say 7 market adjustments over 30 years so what exact dates are you referring to? Example: starting date and ending date, dates of the 7 market adjustments, what markets are you referring to [US. Asia, German, etc], what specific market numbers are you using [ETFs, specific stocks, general numbers]?

But seeing as this is America, might I suggest any 30 years of the S&P500 or the DOW Industrial Average.