Yellow | ABF Pay Increases Relative To Inflation

511monkey

TB Lurker
Credits
I put together this document with information found on the internet in order to give people an idea just how bad the ABF contract may be if inflation returns to levels seen in the past. Of course it would be even more compelling if I actually did the math and compared different five year groups... perhaps someone else will see that idea through.
I created it as a pdf to make printing easy.

ABF pay raises relative to past inflation rates.

Thanks for info and who's needs that -15% anyway , Inflation is just a number , Keep on Trucking 10-4

Thanks for info and who's needs that -15% anyway , Inflation is just a number , Keep on Trucking 10-4

As bad as the 15% concession was it pales in comparison to the potential impact of inflation compounding over 5 years. A repeat of say 1978 through 1982 would absolutely destroy your purchasing power. People need to wake up to the devastating consequences of inflation – just because inflation has been low for some time doesn’t mean it will stay that way forever.

As bad as the 15% concession was it pales in comparison to the potential impact of inflation compounding over 5 years. A repeat of say 1978 through 1982 would absolutely destroy your purchasing power. People need to wake up to the devastating consequences of inflation – just because inflation has been low for some time doesn’t mean it will stay that way forever.

I have no inflation worries since I bought one of these..

GecZayo.jpg

There were safe investments paying over 20% at the time. Like any other boom/bust, take advantage of the market at hand.

If you paid $100 for that compressor in 1978 a mere 5 years later that same compressor would cost you $161.19
2.35 cents an hour. Just married. We had a son and no worries.
Both wife and I were working making less that 6 bucks an hour combined.
Look at us now.
One plastic bag of groceries is 40$ at time 60$.
Times change.
Nothing ever stays the same. If it did we'd be in some big trouble.
Came into this world broke.
Goin out the same way.
(anyway. It's like comparing 1938 to 1978? 40 years difference Same as 1978 to 2018? 40 years difference. A compressor then - if available would have cost the same, as a house.)
Going for another cup of coffee.
Can't live in the past. Gotta live now. Still. I'm going out broke. Bills all paid up and broke.
:17142:

Last edited:
In 1956 my dad paid $9500 for a house, barn, back rental house and 5 acres of ground out in the sticks in the middle of corn fields.
That was $65 an month on a veterans mortgage loan. 2 years ago it was in the middle of a housing development and sold for 1.4 mil.........................how much a month is that?

Look at the cost of homes now a days, and the cost of a new pick-up truck. The middle class is slowly disappearing.

In 1956 my dad paid $9500 for a house, barn, back rental house and 5 acres of ground out in the sticks in the middle of corn fields.
That was $65 an month on a veterans mortgage loan. 2 years ago it was in the middle of a housing development and sold for 1.4 mil.........................how much a month is that?

Adjusted for inflation, not considering any improvements, property value increased about 16.66 times.

Elwood you sound like you trade or at least have sound knowledge of investing 50/200 day moving average sound like a day trader ?

Look at the cost of homes now a days, and the cost of a new pick-up truck. The middle class is slowly disappearing.

In 1962 I bought a new 4x4 Cheyy PU, it was $2462 or $2642, can't remember which.
It was the first and only vehicle I've paid cash.

Elwood you sound like you trade or at least have sound knowledge of investing 50/200 day moving average sound like a day trader ?

No, a very conservative investment strategy, buy & hold, according to the ‘Oracle of Omaha.’

Buy what one knows and understands and be patient.

I have made investments, both good and bad. Luckily more of the former than the latter.

Day trading is for those that have plenty of money to lose, imho.

I rented my first apartment in 1974, $275.00 a month. I bought my first house in 1977, cost $27,000.00. Bought the house I'm presently in back in 1987, cost $75,000.00. My 2002 basic F-150 that I still have cost 18,000.00 in 2002. Today a basic F-150 costs $30,000.00.

In the early 60's grandma used to sneak all us kids a quarter.
I say sneaked because it made grandpa mad. A dollar was probably close to an hourly wage. ( you can speak up on that)
But we all went (4 of us) to the corner store and got a ::shit:: load if candy.
You guys are older than I. And I was broke during the 70's. I never bought a new car until I was 40. Ten years into working for Roadway.
All used before that.
And I would never buy a new car now. One was enough. I still have it after 22 years and yes. It still looks new. 157 grand on it. (miles.)

In the early 60's grandma used to sneak all us kids a quarter.
I say sneaked because it made grandpa mad. A dollar was probably close to an hourly wage. ( you can speak up on that)
But we all went (4 of us) to the corner store and got a :::shit::: load if candy.
You guys are older than I. And I was broke during the 70's. I never bought a new car until I was 40. Ten years into working for Roadway.
All used before that.
And I would never buy a new car now. One was enough. I still have it after 22 years and yes. It still looks new. 157 grand on it. (miles.)

Your grandma was a sweetie. My candy money came from collecting pop bottles on the side of the road.