ABF | abf road driver bids

85moneypit

TB Lurker
Credits
Had an interview with abf a week ago, waiting on background check.
I will be an extra board road driver for who knows how long. But i was wondering what the advantages of getting a bid is compared to being on extra board? Other than being on call. Do bids have a set run and schedule? Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, bid runs will have set start times. Turn bids will have you home every day, and a lay down bid will have you home every other day.

Yes, bid runs will have set start times. Turn bids will have you home every day, and a lay down bid will have you home every other day.
Depends on where your at 064 bids have a 6hr window.But you won't have to worry about that for a while if you go there

Ok cool, thanks for the quick replies. Il be at the Chicago heights location. Is it possible to get a Monday thru Friday bid? Seems like the city bids are m-f. But it seems the road board is a different animal.

Ok cool, thanks for the quick replies. Il be at the Chicago heights location. Is it possible to get a Monday thru Friday bid? Seems like the city bids are m-f. But it seems the road board is a different animal.
The freight business is much like running a dairy.. Cows have to be milked every day, freight has to be moved every day.
It is what it is.

We got guys who've only been here a year, and they're trying to change our bid system that's been in place for.....oh...say....25 years that I know of........

According to them, it's not "fair" to the lower seniority guys........

Everyone wants to start at the top nowadays.....

I was out of 034 for five years. Held a bid twice, but was bumped back to the extra board both times. Would probably still be there if I'd just been able to get a turn bid...but all in all, they did me a favor. Working for a company that much better suits my life.

Im still a bit fuzy on the days off, after 6 turns you take 48 hours off and after 8 turns you take 72 hours off? Am i correct on this?

It's like that at every LTL, unless you get really lucky and get in when there's a lot of growth or at a new terminal, you do what everyone else doesn't want to do. Young'uns gotta wait for the old fellas to pack it in before getting a shot at the good stuff.

Unfortunately, with the way things grow and shrink today, sometimes just holding on through the turbulence for that shot at the top can be tough. But everyone has to take their turn in the kiddie pool, no buts.

Besides, the graybeards are a hoot, at least on TB. Guys like ABF'er are counting the days to flat cap heaven, and guys like mud are already wearing 'em. They'll be happy to tell the young lads what things were like in the 1960's and 1970's, before air ride and power steering, when coffee kept you alive and a beer at the layover motel tucked you in.

Just don't **** them off. You might run faster, but you'll die tired before they give up!

It's like that at every LTL, unless you get really lucky and get in when there's a lot of growth or at a new terminal, you do what everyone else doesn't want to do. Young'uns gotta wait for the old fellas to pack it in before getting a shot at the good stuff.

Unfortunately, with the way things grow and shrink today, sometimes just holding on through the turbulence for that shot at the top can be tough. But everyone has to take their turn in the kiddie pool, no buts.

Besides, the graybeards are a hoot, at least on TB. Guys like ABF'er are counting the days to flat cap heaven, and guys like mud are already wearing 'em. They'll be happy to tell the young lads what things were like in the 1960's and 1970's, before air ride and power steering, when coffee kept you alive and a beer at the layover motel tucked you in.

Just don't **** them off. You might run faster, but you'll die tired before they give up!
Hell the coffee keeps me alive and tub full of ice loaded with liquor and beer still exist when there's not a good bar near motel.