ABF | ABF taking out radio ads for workers

I don't get it, I really don't. There are help wanted signs everywhere these days. And the roads are jammed all day long with people driving around. Who works anymore?
Hey Tri, I know this is the wrong thread but on your recent trip down memory lane, was Rut's hut closed on Sundays now? I never miss it whenever I get back to Norh Jersey. Pay your respects and hit the hut!

Hey Tri, I know this is the wrong thread but on your recent trip down memory lane, was Rut's hut closed on Sundays now? I never miss it whenever I get back to Norh Jersey. Pay your respects and hit the hut!
I haven't been there in a few weeks FC but I'll get there soon and check on that.

I think it's just hard to hire people in the area. First, marijuana is legal in NJ and not prosecuted in NY. Then you have the hiring standards. It's almost impossible to not have more than 3 moving violations in that area. In the era of quotas, police write you up for everything.

You need to start your work day before a certain driver with a bag on his head driving 46 mph does. If your out in front of him, the roads are wide open. If you get started after him, the workday can be a long Bastard!!! LOL!!!
They sell bumper stickers now at all the plazas along 294 that say, Outta my way, you Bastard. Not sure what thats all about?

I think it's just hard to hire people in the area. First, marijuana is legal in NJ and not prosecuted in NY. Then you have the hiring standards. It's almost impossible to not have more than 3 moving violations in that area. In the era of quotas, police write you up for everything.
I was up hydro (Mountain Top) last week the shipper told me that the employees were complaining that when they went into the bathroom they were getting a contact high. They informed the supervisor & he told them to take it up with HR so they did. The answer they got from HR was they have medical marijuana cards, this is where were at. When did you ever think you would hear a answer like that....

The main reason I think is, this generation of people do not want to drive a truck no matter what the pay is or how good benefits are. Everybody today wants to work behind a computer in their own home. Physical work is a no no for them. I grew up in the Woodstock era and never had a moving violation in the 48 years I drove in the NY/NJ area. Times have changed and people have changed more.

I was up hydro (Mountain Top) last week the shipper told me that the employees were complaining that when they went into the bathroom they were getting a contact high. They informed the supervisor & he told them to take it up with HR so they did. The answer they got from HR was they have medical marijuana cards, this is where were at. When did you ever think you would hear a answer like that....

I'm not surprised. The needs of the vocal minority outweigh the majority.
The main reason I think is, this generation of people do not want to drive a truck no matter what the pay is or how good benefits are. Everybody today wants to work behind a computer in their own home. Physical work is a no no for them. I grew up in the Woodstock era and never had a moving violation in the 48 years I drove in the NY/NJ area. Times have changed and people have changed more.

When I speak to people in my age group (this generation) and I ask why they don't go through the driving program the answer I get most of the time is "I can't pass a drug test".

As for the police, moving violations have gone from a deterrence to a revenue generator. With the exodus of the high earners, the government needs to make up that money. They do it by using fines. I've been stopped in New Jersey because I was driving to close to the solid line on the right side in the right lane. No swerving or anything of the sort, but I touched the line. I've also been stopped for driving in the left lane when there's nobody else on the interstate.

The problem with the 5 boroughs, aside from stopping you for any reason is the traffic violations court system. You're either guilty or not in a system that believes the police more than the defendant and the police have a relationship with the magistrate. The only chance you have of getting a traffic violation in New York City Dismissed is if the cop doesn't show up and even then it depends on the magistrate because some of them will reschedule the court date. It's a rigged system.

FC, I went there today (Sunday) for 3 rippers and "beer 1" as they say. They're open 8am to 8pm every day. Then I went to Applegate Farm for one of their homemade ice cream pistachio cones. Life is good! :smile new:

PS - Hey Roady, don't you miss Rutt's?

Rutts1.md.jpg Rutts2.md.jpg

Wave an adequate paycheck in front of them and we'll see. We'll never know if we don't try.