ABF | ABF taking out radio ads for workers

Seems like now a days neighborhood bars are disappearing. A place where you could go for a beer and maybe shoot pool or play shuffleboard.
Now it's all craft beer and fine dining.

The cost of doing business is too high for that. Commercial rent, insurance, employees maintenance etc...a place would never survive just serving beer and letting people hang out. Then you have to hope that people would be willing to pay a little more for beer than what they would pay to do the same exact thing at their house with people they like in a controlled environment.

The cost of doing business is too high for that. Commercial rent, insurance, employees maintenance etc...a place would never survive just serving beer and letting people hang out. Then you have to hope that people would be willing to pay a little more for beer than what they would pay to do the same exact thing at their house with people they like in a controlled environment.
The craft beer has a a bar at the brewery and usually in an industrial area

The whole package doesn’t matter when the take home isn’t enough to buy a modest home anymore. That’s just a cold hard fact.

The 40 to 60 year olds already have houses so they aren’t worried about it as much. The 30 to 40 year olds already have houses but we’re buying at much higher prices than it should have been. The 20 to 30 year old crowd dgaf about benefits or retirement.

Before I hear about the whole package, I know I know.

Just try getting a mortgage as a 25 year old by telling the bank “but if you look at my whole package I’m ahead of the non-union competition…” I guarantee the bank almost cares as much as the guy driving for the competition taking home more money to actually pay for the stuff.

As far as 20somethings not getting into trucking anymore, the job isn’t desirable.

They can go into the trades and make more and have a better schedule day 1. They can go work in a factory and have a set schedule day 1. Trucking sucks and the pay is way far behind no matter how you look at it.

If we were all union it would be different, but try doing a leafleting at the gate of a FedEx, XPO, Old Dominion, Estes, or even Central Transport and you will find most guys know the Teamsters companies pay less on the check. Take home pay is a HUGE ticket item in the inflation we are experiencing.
Which is why I’m jumping on the opportunity to start with a mobile crane company that hit me up this pst week. I’ve had my crane operators certification but needed someone to give me a chance to gain experience. Training pay will be $10 more and hour with ot after 8 and when I’m on my own I’ll be making $45-50/hr ot after 8 and won’t be working graveyard shift everyday. I work almost 60 hours a week and my check is a joke. It’s just not worth it here. I can get some experience in a year then join the operating engineers union and have same benefits if not better than the teamsters and with way better pay.

I was raised in a Tavern later in childhood.

I took a peek at our bills upstairs one day against parental orders never to examine any of the papers up there. (Do not touch, do not look, do not anything. No and no and no... sheesh...)

Natural Gas for the month. $3000.00 US Dollars Due. Next month is running about 4100 due. It was seafood steaming season so we go through a enormous amount of natural gas.

Water? HA. I think it was about 2000.00 due. Gallons? No. Try Tractor Trailer Tanker loads worth of water. Go through 200 gallons just to do dishes. Or another 300 gallons just to open the bar for the day. Ice machine quietly munches through more 24/7. Would you like a glass of water with that menu sir? throws in tons more. And the bathrooms.

Sewage. Another 1000.00 they sure like their round numbers. Its a function of how much water you took in and paid for and a percentage of that is considered sewage going out. When you have 400 people puking and pissing for half a friday night it adds up fast. The pukers get thrown outside. They know better.

Powah. THAT was a monster. 5000.00

So we are at a cool 11,000 dollars in utility bills due by end of that month. In cash.

Payroll? Roughly 15 people all together. All of whom got minimum wage with exception of the licensed bartender times three. The owners were paid nothing. I was part time for a set number of hours each week. People came and went. But the minimum payroll? You are looking at about $80 to 100 dollars a hour give or take for all the required business hours. Which I think ran 16 hours a day. We have at times run the place on just three people. Two unpaid.

That was the key in difficult times.

Oh lets not forget the beer truck. Twice week, sysco once week. The coin man weekly. He gets a cut. And there is the required taxes quarterly on the license to business overall, the buildings (Plural) and the land itself. We were a store, tavern and several apartments and a residence. All combined into a business compound with several income flows. ALL of which was seperated by business type.

end part one

Part two.

Food>? well, We went to the Comissary one day to fill a old barge with about 800 dollars in food items. Took 5 soldiers 10 minutes to load it all. Keep in mind this was Vietnam Era food shopping with a thousand in cash ready to go. That was just for the extended family. I lost count how many of us were reliant on that food bill. Best I can count was roughly 50 children and maybe a couple dozen family members of those children.

Whew.

If we had to run a Tavern today on that little bitty bit of a customer base? There is not enough customer spending to support it. And so it rots quietly to this day unoccupied.

Thats why those people sold off the business entirely along with the license and liquidated it all. Oh sure they sold it handsomely and the new owners lasted 15 plus years before they too were bought out by someone with deep pockets who coveted the license. The license itself as issued by the local liquor board was a unique license for beer and food you could not really get by those days locally now that easily. So you had to pay a premium to get it all.

The third owners tried to build a seafood joint out of the whole place. The problem was that the locals were not seafood people. (They were some, but only for a few times a month we will serve a wedding party, sports win party or perhaps even a funeral party seafood.) the rest of the time its all about that natty boh. Or haupts or something else. The whiskey stayed on the shelf until a divorce or something came along.

Taverns. Why? You can go to the store, get your own poison, haul it home and drink there. And have it all without the bother. Cheaper too.

Part two.

Food>? well, We went to the Comissary one day to fill a old barge with about 800 dollars in food items. Took 5 soldiers 10 minutes to load it all. Keep in mind this was Vietnam Era food shopping with a thousand in cash ready to go. That was just for the extended family. I lost count how many of us were reliant on that food bill. Best I can count was roughly 50 children and maybe a couple dozen family members of those children.

Whew.

If we had to run a Tavern today on that little bitty bit of a customer base? There is not enough customer spending to support it. And so it rots quietly to this day unoccupied.

Thats why those people sold off the business entirely along with the license and liquidated it all. Oh sure they sold it handsomely and the new owners lasted 15 plus years before they too were bought out by someone with deep pockets who coveted the license. The license itself as issued by the local liquor board was a unique license for beer and food you could not really get by those days locally now that easily. So you had to pay a premium to get it all.

The third owners tried to build a seafood joint out of the whole place. The problem was that the locals were not seafood people. (They were some, but only for a few times a month we will serve a wedding party, sports win party or perhaps even a funeral party seafood.) the rest of the time its all about that natty boh. Or haupts or something else. The whiskey stayed on the shelf until a divorce or something came along.

Taverns. Why? You can go to the store, get your own poison, haul it home and drink there. And have it all without the bother. Cheaper too.
Learned a lot, peeking at the bills

I applied for ABF last year. I have 14 years of Ltl experience, no tickets, they sent me a rejection email shortly after.

A friend of mine in another state also applied, no tickets, he has 17 years Ltl time, he received a rejection letter the next day.

How good do you have to be to get a job at ABF ??

I applied for ABF last year. I have 14 years of Ltl experience, no tickets, they sent me a rejection email shortly after.

A friend of mine in another state also applied, no tickets, he has 17 years Ltl time, he received a rejection letter the next day.

How good do you have to be to get a job at ABF ??
What part of the country? A lot has to do with the TM. Every terminal needs drivers/ dockworkers….

Which is why I’m jumping on the opportunity to start with a mobile crane company that hit me up this pst week. I’ve had my crane operators certification but needed someone to give me a chance to gain experience. Training pay will be $10 more and hour with ot after 8 and when I’m on my own I’ll be making $45-50/hr ot after 8 and won’t be working graveyard shift everyday. I work almost 60 hours a week and my check is a joke. It’s just not worth it here. I can get some experience in a year then join the operating engineers union and have same benefits if not better than the teamsters and with way better pay.
Congrats man! I don’t blame anyone for leaving a ltl job. Good luck with the new venture!

The whole package doesn’t matter when the take home isn’t enough to buy a modest home anymore. That’s just a cold hard fact.

The 40 to 60 year olds already have houses so they aren’t worried about it as much. The 30 to 40 year olds already have houses but we’re buying at much higher prices than it should have been. The 20 to 30 year old crowd dgaf about benefits or retirement.

Before I hear about the whole package, I know I know.

Just try getting a mortgage as a 25 year old by telling the bank “but if you look at my whole package I’m ahead of the non-union competition…” I guarantee the bank almost cares as much as the guy driving for the competition taking home more money to actually pay for the stuff.

As far as 20somethings not getting into trucking anymore, the job isn’t desirable.

They can go into the trades and make more and have a better schedule day 1. They can go work in a factory and have a set schedule day 1. Trucking sucks and the pay is way far behind no matter how you look at it.

If we were all union it would be different, but try doing a leafleting at the gate of a FedEx, XPO, Old Dominion, Estes, or even Central Transport and you will find most guys know the Teamsters companies pay less on the check. Take home pay is a HUGE ticket item in the inflation we are experiencing.
And people see these types somewhere, and think, no way do I want to drive a truck. Public restrooms, and pets allowed.

215DE140-8DB8-43DC-93C0-0B2E47F235F4.md.jpg F9D17B8C-A3F6-4F9A-9A85-D5A3AB538447.md.jpg

Last edited: