ABF | ABF Teamsters Voting On Concessions

CF grew Con-way big enough they felt it could handle all the freight a the price of putting 15,000 Teamsters out of work. Could ABF grow Panther large enough to put 7,000 ABF employees out.

I don't see this T/A flying but what will they work on when it fails? Will we get line item veto in our package?

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of folks at CF didn't think they would close... Just saying companies can only sustain losses so long.

Yeah i guess look how long yrc has dun it,they are still here. And there turning around sky's the limit just ask James Welch.

A lot of folks at CF didn't think they would close... Just saying companies can only sustain losses so long.
I hear what you're saying but have you had the chance to review the T/A? A hard pill to swallow is one thing, some of that language is more than just a hard pill. How far do we let them push us? When do we stand up and say NO?

I don't see this T/A flying but what will they work on when it fails? Will we get line item veto in our package?

laughing-1.gif

fly with it bad boy!!

CF grew Con-way big enough they felt it could handle all the freight a the price of putting 15,000 Teamsters out of work. Could ABF grow Panther large enough to put 7,000 ABF employees out.

You are right, Brother. Consolidated Freightways started, and grew Conway as several regional carriers under the sunsetting of the ICC rules as defined by the Surface Transportation Act of 1980,...or de-regulation,...as it's commonly known. The Teamsters were aware of Consolidated's managements attempts to de-certify the Union in several locations,....the contracts in 1980 had language preventing cross-flow of freight by companies "Double-Breasting",....or owning both a Union, and a non-Union carrier. It was common knowledge that Consolidated management supported the regional Conways by bleeding CF of funds and equipment and customers. Their closing of Consolidated Freightways,....with no prior warning to anyone,....not shareholders, customers, or the Teamsters.........on LABOR DAY of 2004,...was nothing but a calculated slap in the face of organized Labor. Does management respect you or your family? Will our management do the same because of disdain of organized Labor....or because we won't knuckle under and do what they want? Maybe we have to wait until LABOR DAY of this year to find out.

You are right, Brother. Consolidated Freightways started, and grew Conway as several regional carriers under the sunsetting of the ICC rules as defined by the Surface Transportation Act of 1980,...or de-regulation,...as it's commonly known. The Teamsters were aware of Consolidated's managements attempts to de-certify the Union in several locations,....the contracts in 1980 had language preventing cross-flow of freight by companies "Double-Breasting",....or owning both a Union, and a non-Union carrier. It was common knowledge that Consolidated management supported the regional Conways by bleeding CF of funds and equipment and customers. Their closing of Consolidated Freightways,....with no prior warning to anyone,....not shareholders, customers, or the Teamsters.........on LABOR DAY of 2004,...was nothing but a calculated slap in the face of organized Labor. Does management respect you or your family? Will our management do the same because of disdain of organized Labor....or because we won't knuckle under and do what they want? Maybe we have to wait until LABOR DAY of this year to find out.

May not have to wait till Labor Day for this one. Possibly 4th of July.

It was labor day 2002 the CF locked the gates. Looking back it's been a real loss of good Teamster ltl jobs for close to 25 years. To take vacation time or not giving the employee's time off will just effect the moral fiber that makes a good company. Those that were true green or Mr.ABF will be retiring or looking for another job as they will feel that they just became another # in the system.

It was labor day 2002 the CF locked the gates. Looking back it's been a real loss of good Teamster ltl jobs for close to 25 years. To take vacation time or not giving the employee's time off will just effect the moral fiber that makes a good company. Those that were true green or Mr.ABF will be retiring or looking for another job as they will feel that they just became another # in the system.
My apologies for getting the year wrong.

I hear what you're saying but have you had the chance to review the T/A? A hard pill to swallow is one thing, some of that language is more than just a hard pill. How far do we let them push us? When do we stand up and say NO?

I hope the time to stand up and say no is now. What management is asking for is more than a hard pill to swallow. This T/A takes a decent job and turns it into something less than average. I hear a lot of talk about pay but the there is language regarding unsupported firings, lost vacation, loss of bids, loss of jobs(6%), etc. What management is asking for turns ABF into a mediocre job with less security than a non-union LTL company. But at least we will have a job; would you like fries with that order?