Yellow | absenteeism

mufungo

TB Regular
Credits
absenteeism is a ruse. company has contractual tools to deal with it and do it with regularity.
the other issue-don't gripe about attendance while cutting my vacations, or laying off, or playing the let's screw someone out of their bennies, while working casuals 6-12 hours.

I think what they are so pissed about is the amount of people that have FMLA. Unfortunately for them that's a federal law. So they can go pound salt if they don't like how many people have and use FMLA.....

After all these years, they just don't know how to play the game yet.
Such a sad and sorry lack-of-control!
Hint: Mr. Welch, why don't you try to increase morale instead of declaring war?

After all these years, they just don't know how to play the game yet.
Such a sad and sorry lack-of-control!
Hint: Mr. Welch, why don't you try to increase morale instead of declaring war?

If only they knew about empowerment.

I was told yesterday, that Absenteeism cost the company 80,000 million a year. For instance, Friday work, at our barn, there might be 15 of 40 city men off rather than working, freight not being picked up because of lack of man power. Guys calling off sick, or not showing up period. We have all experienced this. Friday night waiting to get dispatched home, dispatch said its going to be awhile, we are short handed, we only have 6 guys working the dock the rest went home out of hours. So the freight moves slower and we are slower getting home just because not everyone thinks about how their actions effect their coworkers and the customers. YRCW is wrong to continue to ask the union workers to "fix" their problems but I'm just saying we should all do what we have been hired to do. Just my thoughts.

I was told yesterday, that Absenteeism cost the company 80,000 million a year. For instance, Friday work, at our barn, there might be 15 of 40 city men off rather than working, freight not being picked up because of lack of man power. Guys calling off sick, or not showing up period. We have all experienced this. Friday night waiting to get dispatched home, dispatch said its going to be awhile, we are short handed, we only have 6 guys working the dock the rest went home out of hours. So the freight moves slower and we are slower getting home just because not everyone thinks about how their actions effect their coworkers and the customers. YRCW is wrong to continue to ask the union workers to "fix" their problems but I'm just saying we should all do what we have been hired to do. Just my thoughts.

I understand where they are coming from but in reality they are responsible for creating some of the problem.. Go back to YRC's "how much manpower for the day" calculations that they use... Load the hell out of the morning peddle runs while sitting guys home and then come the afternoon they don't have enough bodies to pick up the freight... This is just one of the problems created by YRC...

I understand where they are coming from but in reality they are responsible for creating some of the problem.. Go back to YRC's "how much manpower for the day" calculations that they use... Load the hell out of the morning peddle runs while sitting guys home and then come the afternoon they don't have enough bodies to pick up the freight... This is just one of the problems created by YRC...

That was always the system used at NPME, Inbound revenue determined how many guys to work. IT worked there.

That is kind of what happens when you dump on your employees any which way you can for a prolonged period of time.

You mean week after week the management team can't seem to prepare for that. If they are out of hours by Friday maybe it's time to hire or recall off layoff. Instead, we'll just blame it on Teamsters.

I'm road so I can't comment about men taking a sick day, but if they are out of hrs then doesn't that sound like mismanagement? The dispatchers know how much freight runs on a daily basis, so it sounds like poor planning not worker productivity. Again management blaming the worker for their lack of foresight.:shrug:

With computers being what they are today and up to the minute data on what freight is going to be due on any given day they should know a day or two ahead of time what their workload should be. Shouldn't it be as easy as:
500 bills due on 11/11/13 (they get these print outs daily)
100 man hours on the dock
60 P&D guys to deliver the freight
Same guys pick up 500 bills?

I'm at an end of the line terminal with no extra board so we can't take a 72 after 6 trips like other road drivers. Every one of our city drivers and dock works 12hrs every day, every week. Everyone is worn out! We don't have any spares because the starting pay is so low and they advertise for part time work only! On the last change they merged another terminal into ours and didn't allow enough guys to move, some even got laid off! The company created all the problems by their own stupidity!!!

That was always the system used at NPME, Inbound revenue determined how many guys to work. IT worked there.

According to our stupidvisors the ante went up when YRC took over.. When I worked the midnight we had guys sitting home and some of the back of the peddle trailers looked like a crossword puzzle... Supervisors in NBG don't care about nothing except their own job... Inbound super would be told by drivers how to set the truck up so they could be in the area where their pick ups were... His response was that is the dispatchers problem I could care less... Four supervisors and none of them get along with each other.. Sometimes it actually looked like they would try to set the others up... Pitiful ..

With computers being what they are today and up to the minute data on what freight is going to be due on any given day they should know a day or two ahead of time what their workload should be. Shouldn't it be as easy as:
500 bills due on 11/11/13 (they get these print outs daily)
100 man hours on the dock
60 P&D guys to deliver the freight
Same guys pick up 500 bills?

That is ASSUMING everything goes smoothly, as it rarely does.

EOL's are at the mercy of the BB's and that is based on O/B freight that needs to be serviced (sometimes).

O/B direct rail freight is left to sit regularly. I/B rail freight is regularly not dispatched until last minute, just to barely meet T/C times. This leaves drivers waiting for freight and late peddle starts that already have longer stem times. It seems simple, but the cogs are worn and the machine needs a major tune up.

Back to topic, absenteeism is the result of overworked employees that are exhausted, disgusted and/or out of hours.

Some guys are okay with 55-60 hrs weekly. Some guys do 50 hrs work in 40 so as to get out the gate to have a life. Some guys get nothing done, regardless of how long they are punched in, but that group is a significant minority. There can only be one or two people in the whole system that have 2 weeks or less vacation....

In a 30 person barn with 1/2 the board w/3 weeks and the rest w/4 weeks, that's 2 workers vacationing every full week. Add in sick days, p/h's, b-days and anniversaries, the 10% board is exhausted before anything else is covered.

Change the thread name to "understaffing/ we need more help!!!"

Now, reality for your numbers.

We get 350-400 bills on a Monday. We have 32 working, no casuals. (two on hard layoff plus two out on comp.) (That makes 28 total) We deliver 300 plus and pick up 100 - 120. The rest of the week tapers down to 180 - 200 I/B on Friday and 150 or more O/B.

We cover 1600 square miles.

We have an I/B crew of 5 and an O/B crew of 3. Your numbers are from a fantasy world.

That is ASSUMING everything goes smoothly, as it rarely does.

EOL's are at the mercy of the BB's and that is based on O/B freight that needs to be serviced (sometimes).

O/B direct rail freight is left to sit regularly. I/B rail freight is regularly not dispatched until last minute, just to barely meet T/C times. This leaves drivers waiting for freight and late peddle starts that already have longer stem times. It seems simple, but the cogs are worn and the machine needs a major tune up.

Back to topic, absenteeism is the result of overworked employees that are exhausted, disgusted and/or out of hours.

Some guys are okay with 55-60 hrs weekly. Some guys do 50 hrs work in 40 so as to get out the gate to have a life. Some guys get nothing done, regardless of how long they are punched in, but that group is a significant minority. There can only be one or two people in the whole system that have 2 weeks or less vacation....

In a 30 person barn with 1/2 the board w/3 weeks and the rest w/4 weeks, that's 2 workers vacationing every full week. Add in sick days, p/h's, b-days and anniversaries, the 10% board is exhausted before anything else is covered.

Change the thread name to "understaffing/ we need more help!!!"

Now, reality for your numbers.

We get 350-400 bills on a Monday. We have 32 working, no casuals. (two on hard layoff plus two out on comp.) (That makes 28 total) We deliver 300 plus and pick up 100 - 120. The rest of the week tapers down to 180 - 200 I/B on Friday and 150 or more O/B.

We cover 1600 square miles.

We have an I/B crew of 5 and an O/B crew of 3. Your numbers are from a fantasy world.
I thought they dispatched out of a fantasy world. :shrug:

more stories of stupidity, our largest local account and a distant winery are both screaming for their freight. one shipment is a plant shutdown item. we take the 240 lb skid to the winery, almost 150 miles one way, but leave the largest local account unserviced, 4-12 trailers daily. the dispatch dummy sends our only driver, and will not hold over or call another, to the winery. a local carrier comes to get the freight for the plant shutdown. we lose that freight for a few years. we get it back, it is 2 trailers on a good day.that was the third failure in 3 weeks-strike out for a multi-million dollar account lost for over two years. yes the winery does ship 1-2 skids a year.

I think what they are so pissed about is the amount of people that have FMLA. Unfortunately for them that's a federal law. So they can go pound salt if they don't like how many people have and use FMLA.....

Of course yrc will have alot of teamsters with fmla. Hell it seems the average workers age is 50. Its always so easy to pass the blame on another person.

These are management issues. Im sure some of those people that were absent had legitimate reasons for not being there and paid time off owed to them. Maybe in this next MOU on top of losing a weeks vacation we should give up all sick days. That would cure that problem. Fire those sick bastards ! We have driver shortage problems......with guys on layoff.