Yellow | absenteeism

With computers being what they are today and up to the minute data on what freight is going to be due on any given day they should know a day or two ahead of time what their workload should be. Shouldn't it be as easy as:
500 bills due on 11/11/13 (they get these print outs daily)
100 man hours on the dock
60 P&D guys to deliver the freight
Same guys pick up 500 bills?

I'm 99.9% certain, dispatch knows exactly how much dock/P&D manpower they need for the day.
The problem at our barn, is they calculate the work force on a certain number of BillsPerHour, not to mention 8:30/9:30 a.m. starting times, then expect the route drivers to start their 10 pick-ups at 3 p.m. They talk "safety" each and every day, yet rush the drivers. Until one of them has an accident!

I was told yesterday, that Absenteeism cost the company 80,000 million a year. For instance, Friday work, at our barn, there might be 15 of 40 city men off rather than working, freight not being picked up because of lack of man power. Guys calling off sick, or not showing up period. We have all experienced this. Friday night waiting to get dispatched home, dispatch said its going to be awhile, we are short handed, we only have 6 guys working the dock the rest went home out of hours. So the freight moves slower and we are slower getting home just because not everyone thinks about how their actions effect their coworkers and the customers. YRCW is wrong to continue to ask the union workers to "fix" their problems but I'm just saying we should all do what we have been hired to do. Just my thoughts.

I'm just wondering who told you about absenteeism? Mr Welch?
Can you share with us, in black & white, some concrete evidence of an 80 million loss?

I'm at an end of the line terminal with no extra board so we can't take a 72 after 6 trips like other road drivers. Every one of our city drivers and dock works 12hrs every day, every week. Everyone is worn out! We don't have any spares because the starting pay is so low and they advertise for part time work only! On the last change they merged another terminal into ours and didn't allow enough guys to move, some even got laid off! The company created all the problems by their own stupidity!!!

Damn, it's getting easier and easier to blame labor with each passing year. All their mirrors must be broken.

I'm at an end of the line terminal with no extra board so we can't take a 72 after 6 trips like other road drivers. Every one of our city drivers and dock works 12hrs every day, every week. Everyone is worn out! We don't have any spares because the starting pay is so low and they advertise for part time work only! On the last change they merged another terminal into ours and didn't allow enough guys to move, some even got laid off! The company created all the problems by their own stupidity!!!

Damn, it's getting easier and easier to blame labor with each passing year. All the management mirrors must be broken.

That is ASSUMING everything goes smoothly, as it rarely does.

EOL's are at the mercy of the BB's and that is based on O/B freight that needs to be serviced (sometimes).

O/B direct rail freight is left to sit regularly. I/B rail freight is regularly not dispatched until last minute, just to barely meet T/C times. This leaves drivers waiting for freight and late peddle starts that already have longer stem times. It seems simple, but the cogs are worn and the machine needs a major tune up.

Back to topic, absenteeism is the result of overworked employees that are exhausted, disgusted and/or out of hours.

Some guys are okay with 55-60 hrs weekly. Some guys do 50 hrs work in 40 so as to get out the gate to have a life. Some guys get nothing done, regardless of how long they are punched in, but that group is a significant minority. There can only be one or two people in the whole system that have 2 weeks or less vacation....

In a 30 person barn with 1/2 the board w/3 weeks and the rest w/4 weeks, that's 2 workers vacationing every full week. Add in sick days, p/h's, b-days and anniversaries, the 10% board is exhausted before anything else is covered.

Change the thread name to "understaffing/ we need more help!!!"

Now, reality for your numbers.

We get 350-400 bills on a Monday. We have 32 working, no casuals. (two on hard layoff plus two out on comp.) (That makes 28 total) We deliver 300 plus and pick up 100 - 120. The rest of the week tapers down to 180 - 200 I/B on Friday and 150 or more O/B.

We cover 1600 square miles.

We have an I/B crew of 5 and an O/B crew of 3. Your numbers are from a fantasy world.

I don't work IB dock so my numbers might not be EXACT.

On most days, IB management has decided to break only 600 bills per day, regardless if we have 800-900 bills.
Now, if a 25 bill trailer has only 6-7 deliveries due on that specific day, they will hold it and strip it the next day.
I know this because I have hostled on Sunday day and have had paperwork access to the IB loads.
I believe we have around 40 route drivers. If not enough drivers are available for the day, based upon their calculations, anywhere from 6-12 cartage drivers are utilized to fill in the gaps. All this while the bottom 3-10 employees have been on lay-off for the past 3 years.
All employees were recalled from lay-off 3 months ago. Out of 18? on lay-off , I believe 9 came back. Now, 6 of them are on lay-off AGAIN!
On the OB shift, management have used from 3-8 4 hr casuals, a minimum of 2 days each week.
What a racket! And they wonder why we are angry and upset!

:27:
You are lucky if your suppose to get 72 off after 6 trips. In Chicago its 48 plus 8 if your on the xtra board and 1 day if you have a bid. Our bids are 3 and 3.
To say everyone is warn out is true. We are hiring out of driving schools to get people.

If you read Welches Latest rant. Kinda like the Bullshirt they do at UPS during the buisy season when they can put their packages on owner operators. The latest comments its our fault that the last change was done in May. Now he's crying that too many people take vacatoin in the summer. Now they'll want to run owner operators in our lanes as they do for UPS during their buisy season. So now you'll be limited on the months you'll be able to take vacation.:27::busted:

I hear that a lot some parts of the country you can't find drivers at 14 bucks a hour no job security or pension. This company better wake up because most of the employee's are 50 + Years old .

Whats the deal with taking a day off 'no pay'. We have guys layed off on Wed or Thurs but if you want a Fri or a Mon off everybody moans and groans. What if you call in sick after you have used your 5 sick days ?

Remember, if you are a driver and you are sick or think you may be sick to the point it may affect your ability to drive safely, it is against FEDERAL LAW to be disciplined for calling off.Akron /211 terminal has a very well written letter from the local to co. Covering the issue.copies are available as well.maybe if yrc didn't have jacked up changes every time they have a mood swing, they would have manpower available idiots..

I was told yesterday, that Absenteeism cost the company 80,000 million a year. For instance, Friday work, at our barn, there might be 15 of 40 city men off rather than working, freight not being picked up because of lack of man power. Guys calling off sick, or not showing up period. We have all experienced this. Friday night waiting to get dispatched home, dispatch said its going to be awhile, we are short handed, we only have 6 guys working the dock the rest went home out of hours. So the freight moves slower and we are slower getting home just because not everyone thinks about how their actions effect their coworkers and the customers. YRCW is wrong to continue to ask the union workers to "fix" their problems but I'm just saying we should all do what we have been hired to do. Just my thoughts.
They have never had any problem getting rid of employees w/ Absenteeism problems.
The relay manager at 241 loved to fire people for anything. He once sent a 72 hour show up or voluntary quit letter to a driver that died at home & he knew he died.
This guy sent so many warning letters that when they got rid of his miserable ass the post office had to lay 3 people off due to lack of work.
I think what they are asking for is to make it easier to discharge someone so they can TRY to hire lower pay workers.

Don't remember were I heard this but what if their way of addressing this so called absenteeism problem is changing rule from NMFA that says you get paid your H & W for the week if you work 3days to having to work 5, or however that works for guys on 4 10hr shifts?

I understand where they are coming from but in reality they are responsible for creating some of the problem.. Go back to YRC's "how much manpower for the day" calculations that they use... Load the hell out of the morning peddle runs while sitting guys home and then come the afternoon they don't have enough bodies to pick up the freight... This is just one of the problems created by YRC...

Many a times this have seen this done and also have been victim of this!:mad:

They have never had any problem getting rid of employees w/ Absenteeism problems.
The relay manager at 241 loved to fire people for anything. He once sent a 72 hour show up or voluntary quit letter to a driver that died at home & he knew he died.
This guy sent so many warning letters that when they got rid of his miserable ass the post office had to lay 3 people off due to lack of work.
I think what they are asking for is to make it easier to discharge someone so they can TRY to hire lower pay workers.
Good luck hiring people drivers that is!

Don't remember were I heard this but what if their way of addressing this so called absenteeism problem is changing rule from NMFA that says you get paid your H & W for the week if you work 3days to having to work 5, or however that works for guys on 4 10hr shifts?

its federal law ...they cant change it

That is ASSUMING everything goes smoothly, as it rarely does.

EOL's are at the mercy of the BB's and that is based on O/B freight that needs to be serviced (sometimes).

O/B direct rail freight is left to sit regularly. I/B rail freight is regularly not dispatched until last minute, just to barely meet T/C times. This leaves drivers waiting for freight and late peddle starts that already have longer stem times. It seems simple, but the cogs are worn and the machine needs a major tune up.

Back to topic, absenteeism is the result of overworked employees that are exhausted, disgusted and/or out of hours.

Some guys are okay with 55-60 hrs weekly. Some guys do 50 hrs work in 40 so as to get out the gate to have a life. Some guys get nothing done, regardless of how long they are punched in, but that group is a significant minority. There can only be one or two people in the whole system that have 2 weeks or less vacation....

In a 30 person barn with 1/2 the board w/3 weeks and the rest w/4 weeks, that's 2 workers vacationing every full week. Add in sick days, p/h's, b-days and anniversaries, the 10% board is exhausted before anything else is covered.

Change the thread name to "understaffing/ we need more help!!!"

Now, reality for your numbers.

We get 350-400 bills on a Monday. We have 32 working, no casuals. (two on hard layoff plus two out on comp.) (That makes 28 total) We deliver 300 plus and pick up 100 - 120. The rest of the week tapers down to 180 - 200 I/B on Friday and 150 or more O/B.

We cover 1600 square miles.

We have an I/B crew of 5 and an O/B crew of 3. Your numbers are from a fantasy world.

seems like that scene from back to school with Rodney Dangerfield and the professor on making a factory! LOL

well when a company keeps screwing the workers over this is what happens, -15% pay equals -15% less work , take away a weeks vac. time , call in sick one week extra to get it back , -15% equals milking the clock 15% more clicks every day , bottom line is these problems did'nt happen when at FULL PAY !!!! and if you keep voting yes they will just keep asking for more !!