SEFL | Accident Driver Droped a Trailer

mikejones234

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been lucky at sefl, i have never been in an accident so i dont know how things go. A good friend of mine droped a trailer on this yard this morning pulling away from the dock, no damage was done. Whats the chance of him losing his job? he has been here 3 yrs and this was his first accident.

I've been lucky at sefl, i have never been in an accident so i dont know how things go. A good friend of mine droped a trailer on this yard this morning pulling away from the dock, no damage was done. Whats the chance of him losing his job? he has been here 3 yrs and this was his first accident.

No one hurt, no damage, I would hope safety takes this into account. I have seen this happen quite a few times over the years at SEFL and have never seen someone fired over this. Now a corrective action might happen.

when i worked at saia we had a guy who was switching out in customers parking lot, he droped a loaded pup, it tore the air lines off the back of the truck, and they had to bring a wrecker out to pick the trailer up, he had been with the company bout 2 yrs and it was his only accident, i never seen him again after that nite.

Every company is different in what they are willing to put up with.
I just heard of a city driver being fired at UPS Freight for doing doughnuts in the yard with a tractor.
He wasn't close to anything,but had some one came around the corner of the yard he could of nailed them seeing he was sliding around in circles.

I do know this driver,he was working at that terminal I'd say close to 10 years.
He has had other minor crashes,but his biggest down fall was being one of the bigest whinners.

The union may get his job back for him.
Time will tell on that.

Now I myself had a jackknife in a wind storm,but I was crash free for 20 years.
Although there was a lot of damage to my tractor,there was no other damage to anything around me.

I was given a non-chargeable because it was determined I was focused on what I was doing,and when the wind hit my 48 foot route trailer it almost rolled over.

Even though I am very sarcastic I was seldom a whinner.

So there you go the same company,yet two different cases handled in two different ways.

If you do your job to the best of your ability,and mind your own business.
Whenever you have a mishap,you may get a pass on it.

Driver should be ok. was the tempature cold. The reason I ask is when it is below freezing the grease in fifth wheel gets thick and sometimes won't latch. Had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago when temps. were in teens and single digits. lucky I checked before pulling out. Back to driver, if clean record I would think a couple of days while they investigate would be all, if that, but never know in these tight times. We all need to be on our toes at all times. Good luck to him.

none of info is correct

when i worked at saia we had a guy who was switching out in customers parking lot, he droped a loaded pup, it tore the air lines off the back of the truck, and they had to bring a wrecker out to pick the trailer up, he had been with the company bout 2 yrs and it was his only accident, i never seen him again after that nite.

They changed the policy a few years ago. If you drop it on the yard, it's 3 days off for the first. If you drop it going down the road, it's 3 days off or they fire you depending on the case.

What is the outcome????

I did it once in my first week in training and never again, from them on I learned to tug on the trailer a few times you never know, at least it didn't happen out on the street he probably would of been alot of trouble!

it's not a hook until you look.............that's what they cram in your head at saia,that's right ,i gotta get my fat azz under the trl and shine a flashlight at the 5th wheel......drop a trl outside the gate and your toast

it's not a hook until you look.............that's what they cram in your head at saia,that's right ,i gotta get my fat azz under the trl and shine a flashlight at the 5th wheel......drop a trl outside the gate and your toast

thats the best way, a tug doesn't always do it.

all depends on if hes in the right clique.
If he is hes ok.
if not hes gone.
thats usually the way it is in the truckin biz.

If you drop one it is amazing how fast you become one of the crawl under with a light and look group. Been there done that!!!

It is also very easy to back under a high trailer and end up with the pin on top of the 5th wheel !! I once pulled one 90 miles with the pin on top of the 5th wheel latch. Thanl god I didn't hit a huge bump. I tugged and jerked and it seemed hooked(this was before I started checking each hook up with a crawl under look see!! People have been killed backing under high trailers too fast/hard and having pin jump 5th wheel and trailer crushes cab as they accelerate under trailer (literally). Take a few extra moments when sizing up your hook up which may save a lot of grief later.

That only works if it's a sealed beam. The red sealed beam Saia light bonds the hook.