ABF | addendum C (c)

RR3872

TB Lurker
Credits
It states in the TA: (c) Drop & Hook: At terminals with 75 or fewer local cartage employees, a road driver that comes into the terminal may be able to push or pull his/her power unit even though there are local cartage/dock employees on duty. This provision shall not apply in a driver’s home domicile or at his/her lay down destination.
The way I understand this it means they can pull out from under their set and back under their next set, hook up and go but in the "IBT UPDATE" it states they can "push and pull" their equipment to and from the dock. Which is it??? Just drop and hooks or also pull from and put to the dock? Power unit is tractor so I don't see anywhere in the binding contract language where they can also move trailers to and from the dock. If anyone knows more on this please post where it is in the TA so I can read it for myself. Thanks.

They said at our meeting that they can only hook a pre strung set or drop a hooked set. So that means the only hook their making is the tractor.

If you read the notice from the IBT that summarizes contract, it says that trailers can be pulled from dock by road drivers.

They never have been able to put together a clear, concise, contract. They are masters of vague, contradictory language. Over the years there have been many items we got porked on because they can't write a contract.

Ok I don't get this one, why on earth would you not want to hook your own set? It's a safety issue to me, and I trust nobody, I mean nobody to hook my equipment. And if you're getting paid for it (which yes even the tightwad bastards at Con-way even pay us to drop and hook) who cares?

They never have been able to put together a clear, concise, contract. They are masters of vague, contradictory language. Over the years there have been many items we got porked on because they can't write a contract.

Ain't that the truth!!

Ok I don't get this one, why on earth would you not want to hook your own set? It's a safety issue to me, and I trust nobody, I mean nobody to hook my equipment. And if you're getting paid for it (which yes even the tightwad bastards at Con-way even pay us to drop and hook) who cares?

Because it is considered city or yard work..

This is one of the reasons ABF's operating cost and Union companies cost are higher, it's not all about wages. There are so many redundant positions made to protect jobs that it takes 2 or 3 union employees to do a job that one non-union employee does. In the name of operating efficiency any driver should be able to do any driver based job required to move the freight. That's one of the reasons the new contract proposal has a new rule for a road driver to do a pick up or delivery enroute. Wouldn't that be a simple thing that should have been allowed the entire time in the name of customer service? Also the new addition for a supervisor to do a dock pickup if there are no dock personnel available??? Do Union employees really expect the customer to wait for a Union employee to be available? These type of inefficiencies are what holds some union companies back and drives cost up so high.

A linehaul driver hooking his own set of empties or dropping out a loaded pup and hooking an empty to go on can make the difference in my drivers making their deliveries that day when I am at the terminal by myself and trying to get the trailers broke and the loads ready.
I thought that was what this was for. Guess not if its just the power unit.
Although all but the most hard core drivers will help us out anyway.

This is one of the reasons ABF's operating cost and Union companies cost are higher, it's not all about wages. There are so many redundant positions made to protect jobs that it takes 2 or 3 union employees to do a job that one non-union employee does. In the name of operating efficiency any driver should be able to do any driver based job required to move the freight. That's one of the reasons the new contract proposal has a new rule for a road driver to do a pick up or delivery enroute. Wouldn't that be a simple thing that should have been allowed the entire time in the name of customer service? Also the new addition for a supervisor to do a dock pickup if there are no dock personnel available??? Do Union employees really expect the customer to wait for a Union employee to be available? These type of inefficiencies are what holds some union companies back and drives cost up so high.

I believe the wages of union employees is about the same as non-union employees. If not would you give me an example? I have worked for O.D. and Wilson. Both as a city driver and a road driver; I also have a neighbor who works for FedEx Freight as a linehaul driver. The pay is not much different and even C-level management has admitted that (check Mr. Slage pep talks earlier this year). But regarding the redundancies, this is a service industry and, unlike the production industry, there is no way to plan in advance how many customers or how much service is going to be needed. As employees we don’t expect the customer to wait for us to be available, we expect the company to keep enough employees’ on hand to handle the unexpected business.

Road drivers have been able to drop and pick en route for many years out West. The company's just do not have the smarts to use the option.Nothing like having a road driver deliver enroute on a 550 mile run and run out of hours.
I have seen Dock supervisors loading customers freight when no one else is around. This happens daily in small city operations. Funny how their is a supervisor around when their is no one to supervise ??
I have also watched many a customer stand around waiting for trailer to be put to dock. Supervisor will not put that move to the top of his list.
Road drivers hostle trailers at city terminals when no one is their.
The best make my numbers and cut my costs I have ever seen was in Ceder City Utah at YRC. Ron A ( Ex Teamster and master of sitting at Dennys to get his OT each day )The terminal manager would bring his family down to this small city terminal and break freight on Sunday. He did not want to pay the Overtime and split up his workers work week, which he could by contract. But then again the workers let him do it.
What are these redundant positions you speak of ?

We do that now!If a customer notifies us in advance we fight the freight and put it by a bay door!If no one is there to help customer a supervisor will help!

I believe the wages of union employees is about the same as non-union employees. If not would you give me an example? I have worked for O.D. and Wilson. Both as a city driver and a road driver; I also have a neighbor who works for FedEx Freight as a linehaul driver. The pay is not much different and even C-level management has admitted that (check Mr. Slage pep talks earlier this year). .

Hourly pay and mileage pay is pretty close to being the same between union and non-union in the LTL. That is obvious, however, there is still a substantial difference between our healthcare and retirement. This is what the Teamster Survey concluded was the primary concern of the Teamsters. So therefore it was the front line of the negotiations whereby they wouldn't concede. And at the end of the negotiations, nothing has been cut in that area.

What non-unions pay for their insurance does vary dependent upon individual, spouse and whole family coverage. I believe you will find if a non-union driver has family coverage for his insurance, he will pay at least $100 weekly, sometimes dramatically more. That is an out of pocket expense to the driver of $5200 a year and the actual health coverage doesn't come close to the standards we have with our union health care coverage. Health And Welfare which is under a plan called C-6 requires the company to pay roughly $282 weekly (as of 8-1-11, slightly higher now) with no premiums payed by the driver. This is a total yearly benefit of $14664.

Secondly, the pension which is called c-18 requires the company to pay $338 weekly (again as of 8-1-11, so the number has gone up since) which comes up to $17576 yearly per employee. I would ask you to reflect upon the retirement benefits of the non-unions you worked for. Did any of them pay more into your 401k than 50cents for every dollar you save up to six percent of your total salary. So if you made $85000 as a road driver, and you saved that 6% which is $5100 of your own money, they would have contributed $2550 into your 401k.

So in review, when discussing and comparing benefits of union to non-union there still remains substantial differences. For healthcare, unions have substantially better insurance and don't have to pay any premiums. The average non-union pays roughly $5000 out of pocket in just premium expenses for insurance that still may be decent but not near the standard the union insurance. For retirement, the non-unions pay roughly $2550 for a driver that made $85000 and saved 6% of that salary to receive the company match. The union employee has over $17000 paid into his pension by ABF.

For the healthcare, over a $5000 difference and in the retirement aspect a $14000 difference. All total, just short of $20,000 differences between union and non-union. Is that not SUBSTANTIAL?

Hourly pay and mileage pay is pretty close to being the same between union and non-union in the LTL. That is obvious, however, there is still a substantial difference between our healthcare and retirement. This is what the Teamster Survey concluded was the primary concern of the Teamsters. So therefore it was the front line of the negotiations whereby they wouldn't concede. And at the end of the negotiations, nothing has been cut in that area.

What non-unions pay for their insurance does vary dependent upon individual, spouse and whole family coverage. I believe you will find if a non-union driver has family coverage for his insurance, he will pay at least $100 weekly, sometimes dramatically more. That is an out of pocket expense to the driver of $5200 a year and the actual health coverage doesn't come close to the standards we have with our union health care coverage. Health And Welfare which is under a plan called C-6 requires the company to pay roughly $282 weekly (as of 8-1-11, slightly higher now) with no premiums payed by the driver. This is a total yearly benefit of $14664.

Secondly, the pension which is called c-18 requires the company to pay $338 weekly (again as of 8-1-11, so the number has gone up since) which comes up to $17576 yearly per employee. I would ask you to reflect upon the retirement benefits of the non-unions you worked for. Did any of them pay more into your 401k than 50cents for every dollar you save up to six percent of your total salary. So if you made $85000 as a road driver, and you saved that 6% which is $5100 of your own money, they would have contributed $2550 into your 401k.

So in review, when discussing and comparing benefits of union to non-union there still remains substantial differences. For healthcare, unions have substantially better insurance and don't have to pay any premiums. The average non-union pays roughly $5000 out of pocket in just premium expenses for insurance that still may be decent but not near the standard the union insurance. For retirement, the non-unions pay roughly $2550 for a driver that made $85000 and saved 6% of that salary to receive the company match. The union employee has over $17000 paid into his pension by ABF.

For the healthcare, over a $5000 difference and in the retirement aspect a $14000 difference. All total, just short of $20,000 differences between union and non-union. Is that not SUBSTANTIAL?

It is very SUBSTANTIAL. Well worth the loss of a little money and some vacation.

Also for the road drivers they get paid if not called by the 12 the hour in the motel,if called to work and the load is not ready at your 2 hour call time, break down go on the clock then with out giving the first hour, get paid if road is closed due to accident. We get a lot of extras that a lot of drivers do not get.

Road drivers have been able to drop and pick en route for many years out West. The company's just do not have the smarts to use the option.Nothing like having a road driver deliver enroute on a 550 mile run and run out of hours.
I have seen Dock supervisors loading customers freight when no one else is around. This happens daily in small city operations. Funny how their is a supervisor around when their is no one to supervise ??
I have also watched many a customer stand around waiting for trailer to be put to dock. Supervisor will not put that move to the top of his list.
Road drivers hostle trailers at city terminals when no one is their.
The best make my numbers and cut my costs I have ever seen was in Ceder City Utah at YRC. Ron A ( Ex Teamster and master of sitting at Dennys to get his OT each day )The terminal manager would bring his family down to this small city terminal and break freight on Sunday. He did not want to pay the Overtime and split up his workers work week, which he could by contract. But then again the workers let him do it.
What are these redundant positions you speak of ?

I think in the central region the road can make a pick up or delivery in route also but I can't be 100% sure. Seems like I have seen that in the contract book before, can't never find anything in the contract when I need to.