Yellow | Alaska gets it

Liberty138

TB Veteran
Credits
The hall there has a job board. So if things go south with your current company, Alaska has a board of jobs. Imagine if every Hall nation wide had this. Called my local today, they said they have no clue is is hiring, and it's up to me to inquire from their list of duds to choose from.
But check out Alaska, they get it.

Talked to The Vice President of my hall today and he said "we don't know who of our companies is hiring", I about fell over. Just utter incompetence, after all this time. Talk about asleep at the wheel. Not just my local, but across America I see this. How is The Union supposed to grow? I am so over the tough talk. The Union is absolutely dying. As people retire from the companies, how can they replace workers? This entire deal needs an overhaul. The Teamsters need to go back to the very beginning, "A fair days work for a fair days pay", with an agreement, and update to this market, or they are done. Im getting nonunion job offers with 100% paid benefits. The only difference is a 401k instead of a pension. The competition is watching, and ready to pay +100k for professionals. But The Union is fast asleep.

The economy is in the tanks right now. At my new job I make paper towels and toilet paper. When I got the job, I thought I was in one of the most recession proof business' there was.

We are only running at 50% capacity and half the shift is on layoff status. No TP = Hard times šŸ˜³

Talked to The Vice President of my hall today and he said "we don't know who of our companies is hiring", I about fell over. Just utter incompetence, after all this time. Talk about asleep at the wheel. Not just my local, but across America I see this. How is The Union supposed to grow? I am so over the tough talk. The Union is absolutely dying. As people retire from the companies, how can they replace workers? This entire deal needs an overhaul. The Teamsters need to go back to the very beginning, "A fair days work for a fair days pay", with an agreement, and update to this market, or they are done. Im getting nonunion job offers with 100% paid benefits. The only difference is a 401k instead of a pension. The competition is watching, and ready to pay +100k for professionals. But The Union is fast asleep.
Is your hall like mine? Apparently. There might be work on the movie sets, but only if you're "buds" with the BA. I am retired now but was a hard-working dues paying member of the Teamsters for nearly 50 years. Yellow is the only company I was working for in all those years that went "belly up" while I was there. It's been mentally difficult. I and many others tried so hard to "right the ship". We (those hard-working folks) didn't fail the company; the company failed us.

The economy is in the tanks right now. At my new job I make paper towels and toilet paper. When I got the job, I thought I was in one of the most recession proof business' there was.

We are only running at 50% capacity and half the shift is on layoff status. No TP = Hard times šŸ˜³
Or skid marks in your shorts.

Is your hall like mine? Apparently. There might be work on the movie sets, but only if you're "buds" with the BA. I am retired now but was a hard-working dues paying member of the Teamsters for nearly 50 years. Yellow is the only company I was working for in all those years that went "belly up" while I was there. It's been mentally difficult. I and many others tried so hard to "right the ship". We (those hard-working folks) didn't fail the company; the company failed us.
Most of the people I worked with were great, and worked very hard, and cared. Ya, these halls are a weak point in the chain of the structure. They literally did nothing to train new stewards. Gave in fully to companies, with no Teamster benefit at all. I thought the whole idea of Teamster leaders was to "serve". But a lot of the time, leaders used their position recklessly. They missed good big things, misfiled on nonexistent things with no victory on the grievance. They actually thought they should be king and be served. They had it bass ackwards. They had things flipped. I knew a steward of 20 years file millions of $ of grievances that were never paid. He never gave the contract to the workers, for 20 years. Just terrible.

Consider if the hall had our credentials. All of it, MVR, Medical Card, all the stuff. You go onto a Teamster job board, and hit "Apply", which send the company all your stuff with 1 click. Next day Zoom call. Day 3, orientation. Streamline, innovation, thats what we need. Ever hall in America should have a job board, with email alerts for new opportunities. My hall had a meeting for suggestions. They were too elderly to move into this new era we find ourselves in.

Ice Road Truckers is a hard job , my partner & me did it for a while , but the truck stops was to far apart and Bears Bite , so we came back down to the Coop Trucking !
651771beb6f2c25c854d033908bb1cb2.jpg