All in a days work

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Well I think all trucking is hard, but it seems to me that in the severity of hardness, food service CDL A driving is probably one of the most brutal lines of trucking there can be. Today I heard a commercial for Mains on the radio looking for food service CDL A drivers. They said if your a food service CDL A driver you know what hard work is.
Well that's pretty much the truth, being a food service CDL A driver is very hard work, physically and mentally. Dealing with convenient stores, grocery stores, restaurants, bars and everyone in between. There are brutal stairwells to deal with and delivery times and dock times that you have to worry about. Especially if you deal with grocery stores like I do on almost a daily basis. Usually my days so far have been 20+ stops haven't had a day under 20 stops yet. It takes me a while to do 20 stops I try my best, but I mean 20-25 stops takes me 12 hours there's not a whole lot I can do about that. That's just what I average, I can't seem to beat that no matter how hard I try. I mean it always seems somewhere in the day I hit a snag somewhere,however a beer driver from another beer distributor who runs my route and who I talk to when we cross paths, gave me some very helpful hints today that I am going to apply and see if maybe they save some time later on.

I think for me it's just hard because I just don't know enough about the route they have had me on yet, however, I am getting a tad better I mean I'm good enough to where I know some of the short cuts and what I can and can't do. I really don't need my GPS for some days anymore. Like, I'll need it for tomorrow a bit, but I don't need it for the whole show. Tell you what though if your new to truck driving food service driving will hone your driving skills real quick. It's good experience brutally hard awful work, but once you start it's kind of hard to stop it's just one of those things I guess.

Any how the good news is my backing was better today, was lined up with the docks better it was good on that end, plus I only had 3 dock stops however I had a tricky back down a hill at a country club. Well it was tricky for me ha-ha.