Almost Broke Down!

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So today I got to my fifth stop of the day, and turned the truck off. Then after the delivery I got into the truck to turn it on and drive to the next stop and the truck would not start all I got out of it was a click click click. I thought oh no! So I called mechanical and they said hit the starter motor with a stick or hammer. So I crawled under the truck with a stick of wood that I found and hit the starter motor a few times, nothing. Then, they said Pensky was on the way. So I thought great now I have to wait for Pensky to come.

So for the heck of it after waiting for a while probably 10 minutes, I said well, lets give this another shot. I turned the key and all of a sudden the truck turned on! I said hot dog I'm back in business. I called mechanical and told them, don't worry about it, I'm back in business. So then I took off , probably only was stalled for half an hour, but I was sure glad to be moving again!

Luckily I made up for lost time pretty quickly I swear I was in and out of the stop I had after the truck almost broke down in 5 minutes.

Gosh when the truck breaks down that's a pretty helpless feeling.

A few years ago the put real long jumper cables in each truck, it was a cold winter I guess and the batteries were weak in many trucks. So we're supposed to jump it off the reefer when the battery dies. Some drivers flat out refuse, because that's mechanic's work. One driver told me he waited for a jump three times one day.

That winter it seemed like I'd have to jump my truck every other day, I kept writing it up and after a few months they replaced the right battery and it hasn't died since.

I'd also pop start it if I was on a hill, a lot quicker.

How do you pop start? I really don't know. I know how to stall the truck I'm really good at that, but how do you pop start? Do you let it roll down the hill then let the clutch out and turn the key? My next question is, I know the refers have diesel engines and all, but it's enough power to start a big truck. How much horse power do those refers have?

You'd want the key on first, then roll down the hill with it in 2nd or 3rd, when you're going fast enough, let the clutch out. I've heard that you can pop start automatics, but you have to be rolling really fast.

Truck has 4 12 volt batteries, reefer has one, I don't know about the horsepower, it don't matter, you hook it up, if it cranks, good, if not, wait a while just like with 4 wheelers.

I didn't think one 12 volt battery could start a truck that uses 4 12 volt batteries that's why I asked, what the horsepower was on the refer units. I mean I guess it might work, but I guess it might not too.

Okay so cool now I know let the clutch out and let her rip that's cool.

12 volt is 12 volt, whether you have 1 or 10 batteries. You can start a semi off a Honda civic, if you let it charge long enough.

Guardrail

One driver told me he waited for a jump three times one day.
Any feeling on my part that it won't start...slow cranking, anything, I run the tractor.
I'd rather spend 5min the next morning getting yelled at over idle time than spend 2hrs waiting on a jump. Popping the clutch is something I've only tried and done in a wide open area...worried where the tractor might end up if it doesn't work.

The tow service they use here for their emergency road calls stinks.