Yellow | "am I Missing Something Here"

screwy louiey

TB Veteran
Credits
It the company's most wonderful time of the year......."Lay off time".

Tm here can't buy anything and wants to cut down the O/T. As long as we stay current and keep making the service dates and keep the customers happy I will not have to layoff.
Those were his quote unquote words.

I for one was done with my peddle run made my pick ups and made an .75 of O/T. No need of riding the clock if freight is slack so I do my part and get back to the barn.

Saw another Teamster brother clocking out and I said to him I can get used to this getting off at 5pm b/4 the dispatcher & making it home in time for the 6pm news and playing fetch with fido.

I'll be damn they send me out with a 3 plt delivery to Home Depot for their regular appt day. .75 O/T turned into 3.25 of O/T when they could have sent some of the late bid guys run this....so much for cutting down the O/T.

Today had a residental delivery put on a 53' for an appt after I told them not to put it on a big box and put it on a pup. Come to find out the customer lived in a apartment complex and told the dispatcher to deliver it on a straight truck or pup. Still it went out on me and when I got there I couldn't make the turn into the complx so I blocked the entrance and off loaded these 7 vending machines 125lbs a piece onto the street. Couldn't leave the freight there so i helped the guy out and had a walk up to the second floor. Either I am getting old or out of shape but that kicked my azz today.

By the time we got done peoplewere coming home from work got blocked in and couldn't move. Whole debacle took 2hrs while on O/T,
total for today 3.75 O/T....... so much for cutting down the O/T the guy did tip me $50- for helping him:1036316054:

Seems like they talk about reducing O/T but damn you if you try to get off early on your 8's. THEIR ANSWER TO REDUCING O/T IS A LAY OFF CAUSE SOME OF THESE SUP DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN A OPERATION SMOOTHLY & EFFICIENTLY:mad::furious:

I'm done time to lock up my plt jack and hand truck and go home.

heu louiey hello and happy holidays. You hit the nail on the head there brother. The management is not so bright but they don't have to worry about layoffs either. I'm on light duty (modified) in the office and listening to the dispatch does more than there fair share of griping. I do not get the big picture however. the supers and the drivers all work for the same company, however the us against them attitude is rather unproductive and childish. They are in a hurry to get me off modified duty and back on the street (even if I'm not fixed by the cheap moron of a company doctor at concentra) so they can give me a sit at home letter. You know I'm still reeling financially from my last forced vacation. Seems like there's a better way! eaglescout

If told by someone to not do something and they continue to do so who's fault is it then.
To correct things and go beyond what is expected and get into an accident or injury then its your fault.
Granted there are some sup & dispatchers that can run with the ball and others are lost in the sauce like an Eli Manning ( no impact no idea).

Hey SL..........it's interesting to notice how a few miles change the "business decisions" of a major trucking company.

Yes layoffs are all around us. But at 671, just the opposite is the case. P+D guys are laid off and low and behold every dock worker and switcher that can drive is running P+D!! Service is not an issue because pickups are still being missed and so are appointments, according to a source.

Overtime........ask anyone that came in on the last two COOs. If you want 70+ hours a week.....you can get it. All in the same breath announcing more layoffs in the yard and on the dock this past week.

I still have to mark this "business decision" up as not making good dollars or sense!! It has been shown to management at 671 that the OT is costing the company more money than working more men at 40 hours.

It is contract time and the company is crying "poor". Well I guess so...making decisions like this does take away from the profits.

But what do I know.......I'm just a "knuckle dragging dockworker".:1036316054: DS.

DS,
they are crying poor and acting **** poor and doin a good job performing it. I know i'm preaching to the choir here but the choir needs to be preached to at times. If times are that slow then its time to mend the fences right the wrongs that are going on.

seventy something years and it is still messed up, they can send a man to the moon but can't resolved the operation to run efficiently. Alright people I said my point this issue is over as some of the salty seasoned seniority guyz have all heard this before.

Hey SL..........it's interesting to notice how a few miles change the "business decisions" of a major trucking company.

Yes layoffs are all around us. But at 671, just the opposite is the case. P+D guys are laid off and low and behold every dock worker and switcher that can drive is running P+D!! Service is not an issue because pickups are still being missed and so are appointments, according to a source.

Overtime........ask anyone that came in on the last two COOs. If you want 70+ hours a week.....you can get it. All in the same breath announcing more layoffs in the yard and on the dock this past week.

I still have to mark this "business decision" up as not making good dollars or sense!! It has been shown to management at 671 that the OT is costing the company more money than working more men at 40 hours.

It is contract time and the company is crying "poor". Well I guess so...making decisions like this does take away from the profits.

But what do I know.......I'm just a "knuckle dragging dockworker".:1036316054: DS.

DS,

You're missing one very important point with all of this. By paying OT, to those that are working, they don't have to pay into the pension and welfare as they would have to do for the called back guys on their straight time. It is cheaper for them to pay time and 1/2 than it is to pay straight time plus the benney's.

SL,

the only thing you are missing is my crabcakes:hysterical::hysterical:

Yes GodFather

:grinning-smiley-021:bowdown:Crabcakes being gift wrapped now I'll be in town next weekend & visit that retired Teamster in QNZ so I can kiss the ring and say "Bless you Godfather, bless you it won't happen again Godfather":bowdown:

SL,

Let me know where and when. Anywhere in QNZ is a short hop from the house. I wouldn't mind seeing the old buzzard again, myself. :biglaugh:

it is cheaper to work a man a six punch then to pay an extra man his pay and benys. but then the next day the same guy comes in on a seven punch thats where it costs them money. you know as well as i do when they playthese games they accomplish two things. pissing off most of their workers and getting grievances filed against them for forgetting someone which at the end cost them way more than it would to just work people like they could have.

DS,

You're missing one very important point with all of this. By paying OT, to those that are working, they don't have to pay into the pension and welfare as they would have to do for the called back guys on their straight time. It is cheaper for them to pay time and 1/2 than it is to pay straight time plus the benney's.

One other thing there Animo............we count the hours worked on a weekly basis for the dock. We have proven that RDWY could work every man on the seniority list 40 hours and it would actually cost the company less......including health welfare and pension. To the sum of 15-20 thousand a week!! It's a proven fact......RDWY wants to show a loss and divide the workforce......this is how it's done. DS.

:grinning-smiley-021:bowdown:Crabcakes being gift wrapped now I'll be in town next weekend & visit that retired Teamster in QNZ so I can kiss the ring and say "Bless you Godfather, bless you it won't happen again Godfather":bowdown:

Almost 2 weeks now. Left you my phone number....no call. I'm beginning to think these crabcakes are nothing more than rumor. Do they even exist?:BlahBlah:

It seems to be the same way everywhere! What does the contract say about a merger and a dovetail? don't laid off guys fall behind working men?

It seems to be the same way everywhere! What does the contract say about a merger and a dovetail? don't laid off guys fall behind working men?

From what I remember, a merger would require a dovetail of the lists and not an endtail as you are suggesting for laid off workers. Seniority counts. If a laid off guy dovetails ahead of someone with less seniority that is presently working, then his seniority would take precidence and he may actually bump the working guy into layoff status.

Almost 2 weeks now. Left you my phone number....no call. I'm beginning to think these crabcakes are nothing more than rumor. Do they even exist?:BlahBlah:

I just left there wednesday b/4 the snow, stopped by the barn and saw one of your guyz there and gave him the card think his name was Jason. Had the old guy with me couldn't do too much with the time i had there :hide:

I just left there wednesday b/4 the snow, stopped by the barn and saw one of your guyz there and gave him the card think his name was Jason. Had the old guy with me couldn't do too much with the time i had there :hide:

What card???
You should have called me, I could have driven out to meet both of you.