FedEx Freight | Amid shortage, Louisiana offering free Class A schools

No F-bdy Bs

TB Veteran
Credits
What a joke.
Industry is hurting so bad for drivers that they see serious suppluy chain disruptions coming.
Solution? CDL school at no cost to individuals.

Yes, let's do EVERYTHING BUT pay better.

Let's get this straight.
There is no shortage of class A drivers.
There IS a shortage of class A jobs that pay a 2022 wage. There are plenty of class A holders that have gone into other fields because the job simply doesn't pay well anymore.

So now, states will front the cost of the school, get people trained only to have them leave the driving pool in 6mo due to dog$hit pay by every company.
State debt goes higher.
Brilliant!

All you have to do is PAY the schlubs fresh from school. Absorb the necessary damages the first year or so they drive the most dented tractor in your fleet. They have to learn.

That means paying something like between 150 to 200K annually. If you gotta raise the cost of Yakima Apples to Atlanta another 10K do it. And shut up about it. You will find no one quits your outfit at that point.

Quit firing the poor newbies for rubbing curbs. You were new once too.

And stop it with the approved school list. And the clearing house and and and and and and. Everything that has been done since about 2000 has been done.

CFI annoucnced for example a minor pay increase for their golden childs in the top half of the fleet roster. Then they spend the next 6 lines of the press release hammering the point of having professionals who contain and cut costs.

The word professional means chump drivers too stupid not to idle in -10. To save the company a dollar. Thats no way to run a trucking company. If something costs x dollars then bill the customer for the amount and have done with it.

Dispose of all the modern regulated crap as well. I would be prefectly happy driving 1970's era tractors again. Provided they are big Cats. Maintained with some love and care. Instead of abused because they cost money to fix.

What a joke.
Industry is hurting so bad for drivers that they see serious suppluy chain disruptions coming.
Solution? CDL school at no cost to individuals.

Yes, let's do EVERYTHING BUT pay better.

Let's get this straight.
There is no shortage of class A drivers.
There IS a shortage of class A jobs that pay a 2022 wage. There are plenty of class A holders that have gone into other fields because the job simply doesn't pay well anymore.

So now, states will front the cost of the school, get people trained only to have them leave the driving pool in 6mo due to dog$hit pay by every company.
State debt goes higher.
Brilliant!
Western Express of Louisiana.

It’s not as simple as pay. I don’t work weekends and no amount of coin will persuade me too. I also like my own bed. Not seeing home for a month at a time is an unattractive job. Don’t misunderstand, pay is the biggest obstacle, but valuing your people enough to get them home is big

It’s not as simple as pay. I don’t work weekends and no amount of coin will persuade me too. I also like my own bed. Not seeing home for a month at a time is an unattractive job. Don’t misunderstand, pay is the biggest obstacle, but valuing your people enough to get them home is big
I was somewhat opposite for most of my life. Home life in Maryland offered no economic incentive to keep up that overpriced economy. If you were not military, essential or government you had nothing.

Trucking was a way to defray living expenses and make a living. Just all in the tractor as a home. We did have a habit of getting the hell out of it regularly on time off wherever it might be at. I once spent two days in Seabrook NH time off bowling. I did not see the tractor or trailer once the whole time. Hotel took care of the bed. Was not bad at all. Bowled quite a bit and got it out of my system.

Another time I was on a bay, learning about sailing. Truck? Ha. 150 miles away parked in a rental car. Probably with 60 call me messages on the satellite. What part of time off for four days do you not understand dispatch. I dont even see the truck. I find something to do locally and anything and everything that has absolutely nothing to do with trucking. Thats how I destress and have fun.

North America was home. Not here or there. Bought a house and lands here in Arkansas couple of decades ago, paid it all off in a few years. Poof debt free. Everything took off then. Much cheaper and better than Maryland had to offer. So its no regrets here. My pa bought his house at about 70,000 45 years ago its valued at damn near half a million with property taxes in the thousands annually. Its killing him. It all will be liquidated at his death anyway. So there is that.

There was at one time a thriving mobile home and site built homes that were pretty good despite the stereotypes. But that industry here has been systematically destroyed. Bare ground on where they once sold these things now.

The very best thing with trucking was running like hell between say Feb 25th to roughly 30th october Then home.

Last edited: