XPO | Another Good One

ccxnobody

TB Regular
Credits
Something interesting...

Since Monday, 30 June, I have been trying to get what exactly the lifting and other physical requirements for conway from Michael L the HR guy. He flat refuses to tell me them saying they are the same as DOT???

I researched the USDOT site for the CFR and found nothing for physical lifting as a requirement or disqualifying factor for obtaining or retaining a CDL. There are many specific medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, etc etc (we all know those) but nothing of any physical lifting or related requirements.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know what the current requirements are? I even asked him what if I was a new guy looking to hire on with conway and he stated that i am not a new guy so there is no point in discussing that...i then told him i feel he is circumventing the question and he said that he was...honesty is a good thing...

The bottom line remains...what are the physical requirements? Where can I find them? They took them out of the website merely stating DOT requirements...I am trying to find out what exactly I need to tell my orthopedic to find out what needs to be done to return me to work..he did say contact my insurance case handler which for here in CT is Travellers, but like I told him, everytime i asked her anything she always said to ask my lawyer, so after several tries at that...i dont ask her anymore...for the time of day for that matter...

I don't think there are lifting requirements to obtain a CDL. But, the company may have lifting requirements for working the dock. They are not related. You can still drive a truck, but since the company requires dock work, you can't work.

I do not think there is a physical wt limit. So if your doctor gives you a restriction, it is considered light duty. The rule is physically able to do the job, any restriction you cannot drive a tractor or forklift, at least that`s what my TM told me! Good luck!

The bottom line remains...what are the physical requirements? Where can I find them? They took them out of the website merely stating DOT requirements...I am trying to find out what exactly I need to tell my orthopedic to find out what needs to be done to return me to work..he did say contact my insurance case handler which for here in CT is Travellers, but like I told him, everytime i asked her anything she always said to ask my lawyer, so after several tries at that...i dont ask her anymore...for the time of day for that matter...

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of lifting requirement set by the DOT.
It boils down to ones own strength and their ability to lift properly while being safe.

I'm guessing a single person should be able to physically lift anywhere between 1 and 75 lbs. Anymore would require tools or another persons help.

The only way you will get back to work is if your Doctor writes down "Full Duty, No Restrictions" anything else will keep you on Light Duty, STD,LTD.
Only you know what the job demands and what you can physically do. Pair that up with your doctors current diagnosis and see if you can mentally psyche yourself back to work.

Travelers will no longer talk to you or any employee that has sought legal representation.
Usually your work comp lawyer sends your TM and Travelers legal paperwork explaining to them that you are now being represented.
Your lawyer becomes the liason.

No one should be ashamed of hiring a work comp lawyer. It's a hidden benefit that most people are afraid to go after. You are entitled to a settlement. Crap, I let the cat out of the bag......meow...look it up.

I had to go see. I don't see any specific amount.

Position Driver/Sales Representative
Job Summary Con-way Freight (LTL) is looking for highly motivated individuals for the position of Driver/Sales Representative. As a member of our team you will work the dock unloading and loading freight and drive in city or linehaul operations.
Job Requirements Driver applicants for Con-way Freight (LTL) must meet certain basic criteria to be considered for employment. The basic criteria are a valid commercial driver's license with Hazmat and "doubles/triples" endorsements, successful passage of the mandated Department of Transportation physical exam, demonstrated truck driving experience with either straight truck, tractor and single trailer, or tractor and doubles combination; a clean drug and alcohol screen, and an exemplary safe driving record.

https://www.con-way.com/en/careers/freight_ltl_wrapping

Job Summary Con-way Freight (LTL) is looking for highly motivated individuals for the position of Driver/Sales Representative. As a member of our team you will work the dock unloading and loading freight and drive in city or linehaul operations.
Job Requirements Driver applicants for Con-way Freight (LTL) must meet certain basic criteria to be considered for employment. The basic criteria are a valid commercial driver's license with Hazmat and "doubles/triples" endorsements, successful passage of the mandated Department of Transportation physical exam, demonstrated truck driving experience with either straight truck, tractor and single trailer, or tractor and doubles combination; a clean drug and alcohol screen, and an exemplary safe driving record. Having the ability to bend over and take it like a NAMBLA member is also required. Shutting mouth and swallowing pride is required also

I don't think there are lifting requirements to obtain a CDL. But, the company may have lifting requirements for working the dock. They are not related. You can still drive a truck, but since the company requires dock work, you can't work.

No there is no difference...call Michael L/XGO HR and ask him...our requirements are only that of DOT...and you are very correct, there is no lifting requirements for DOT...simply particular diseases and a few non disease related incidents such as dibilating orthopedically caused pain which can render you instantly unable to control the vehicle, special considerations for limb loss, etc...

I told him it seems like he was circumventing the question and he readily admitted he was...i do not know, maybe because of my pending workmen's comp case with them, or he just is too scared to pin point a specific topic which he could be held liable for...all i want to know is what to tell my doctor for my upcoming re-check this next thursday...either make me back to being able to do this, this this and this, or so state that i cannot be made back to being able to this, this, this and this...thats all. If i have to be able to lift 75 pounds, can you make me physically able to lift this? If you cannot, why? Seemed pretty straightforward and easy for me to understand...

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of lifting requirement set by the DOT.
It boils down to ones own strength and their ability to lift properly while being safe.

I'm guessing a single person should be able to physically lift anywhere between 1 and 75 lbs. Anymore would require tools or another persons help.

The only way you will get back to work is if your Doctor writes down "Full Duty, No Restrictions" anything else will keep you on Light Duty, STD,LTD.
Only you know what the job demands and what you can physically do. Pair that up with your doctors current diagnosis and see if you can mentally psyche yourself back to work.

Travelers will no longer talk to you or any employee that has sought legal representation.
Usually your work comp lawyer sends your TM and Travelers legal paperwork explaining to them that you are now being represented.
Your lawyer becomes the liason.

No one should be ashamed of hiring a work comp lawyer. It's a hidden benefit that most people are afraid to go after. You are entitled to a settlement. Crap, I let the cat out of the bag......meow...look it up.

We had a good thread on workmens comp awhile back...my lawyer lady has been representing me for 3 years now for the matter of 3 injuries which have for the most part wrecked my physical abilities to do any work requiring lifting, grasping etc...all in all it seemed like a pretty reasonable request so i could give my doctors...i am DOT certified, medical card etc...but conway wont let me work because I cannot lift x amount or carry x amount...so that tells me there is a requirement so what is it?

Job Requirements Driver applicants for Con-way Freight (LTL) must meet certain basic criteria to be considered for employment. The basic criteria are a valid commercial driver's license with Hazmat and "doubles/triples" endorsements, successful passage of the mandated Department of Transportation physical exam, demonstrated truck driving experience with either straight truck, tractor and single trailer, or tractor and doubles combination; a clean drug and alcohol screen, and an exemplary safe driving record.

https://www.con-way.com/en/careers/freight_ltl_wrapping

Yes see...I meet all those...wonder why i am at home drawing 766.00 a week in benefits when i could be working? Oh wait, cause i cannot lift or carry because an FOS pushed a 700 pound skid over on me screwing my disc for the rest of my life...oh yeah and a lazy TM who wont go outside the building and check to see if trailers are parked right and not on an incline causing dollies to roll when dropped to hook...yeah thats why...seems to me with what you posted (which I already knew) says i need to be CDL certifiable, i am have, and will be for a long time...

We had a good thread on workmens comp awhile back...my lawyer lady has been representing me for 3 years now for the matter of 3 injuries which have for the most part wrecked my physical abilities to do any work requiring lifting, grasping etc...all in all it seemed like a pretty reasonable request so i could give my doctors...i am DOT certified, medical card etc...but conway wont let me work because I cannot lift x amount or carry x amount...so that tells me there is a requirement so what is it?

If there is no specified or exact amount of weight required, it would fall into the catch all phrase of "Ability To Lift Heavy Objects".

Than you figure the heaviest thing a linehaul driver lifts by themselves would probably be the dolly and for a P&D driver the trailer door.
If you can't do that basic job requirement, I can't see them letting you come back.

In other modes of driving you can be a DOT qualified CDL holder etc. and never have to lift a thing, Con-way's job requirement is that you must do some sort of lifting in your job.

I've seen it where the driver could not be released to "full duty no restrictions" and:
1. They go into management or sales. :shock:
2. Take courses for another job field. (Compliments of Con-way)

Can any other member here ask their TM, FOS, PS what the lifting requirement might be for Con-way and post your findings? I bet we end up with different numbers.

https://www.conway.com/en/careers/freight_ltl_wrapping

You're right there is no mention of lifting in the job description of "Driver Sales Representative".
picture7it0.png

However, once you hit the dock you go into the job description of a "Dockworker".
No specified weight other than the mention of "Lifting Required"
picture2gi5.png

Just asking, but..

1. Isn't it against rules that an FOS be driving a forklift?
2. Can't you sue their pants off for damaging you?

Just asking, but..

At a reship I have only seen FOS on a forklift to move it at the end of the night, or to " give" someone a forklift when another driver leaves for the night. I do not think there is a rule against it, and this is CONWAY so it doesn`t matter even if there is a rule. GO will just look the other way!

Just asking, but..

The FOS wasnt on a forklift...it was a 7 foot high stack of boxes on a slip sheet which was stacked on a long about 20"x20"x however long it was wooden crate...the freight was straddled on the crate when loaded down south...her (the FOS) idea was to push it off the side so we could get the regular forklift blades under it as we couldnt get the extensions under without tearing the stinking slip sheet...anyways, she told me to stand next to the skid so it wouldnt fall and just let it down onto trailer floor gently...well, being a new guy (and somewhat retarded) I said ok, stood next to it and she shoved it off and it smashed me into the side of the trailer wall, pinned me...took like 5 guys to un stick me from the trailer wall....sure did hurt whenever i got my wits back about me as my head was slammed into the wall as well...

Your second point...well as far as suing them...at that time, i wasnt like that, i didnt even know anything about workmens comp other then the company pays to fix your broken butt back up...9 years and several injuries later with conway...my attitude towards these sorts of things have changed a little bit...specially when i try and do complicated, strenous activities..oh like stand up out of a chair...or catch my 7 year old daughter when she trips, or pick up my toy poodle, etc etc etc...