XPO | another reason to get fired

Unfortunately, for this man I doubt he has a valid case. Considering they are an at will state and can fire with pretty much no explanation or reason. However, depending on his lawyers and the judge it could possibly work in his favor.

His accident must have caused more damage then he had in safety points. Also, since he was faulted for the accident he has now put the company in the position to be sued by the person whom he hit. He is not first person nor the last that this company will do it too. It's very unfortunate and sad that it happened to this guy or for that matter anyone.

I believe he has a case based on what I read.

Con-way needs to treat everyone the same & have the same rules apply to every employee.

All to often I see people getting away with things that other people have been fired for.

Something other than breathing, or not looking your TM in the eye for monday meetings? How many points for the wrecked unit? where was the driver at before the accident? ( point wise)

Joke

I believe he has a case based on what I read.

Con-way needs to treat everyone the same & have the same rules apply to every employee.

All to often I see people getting away with things that other people have been fired for.

Conway is about as fair as playing the Patriots!
:hysterical:

Interesting case...that motion for summary was denied in 2005, wonder where the case is now.

Rick T, Michael L. and Terry R. all are spiteful individuals. I have had personal dealings with each of them and was less then enthusuastic with the results...we all know where we do something wrong and are punished for it, I am by no means saying i was not in the hot seat as a result of my actions, but i will contest the manner in which they all three handled the situations...now in the other side of the coin, i have had 2 dealings with Julie J., received a LOI for one of the incidents, and actually thanked her for the letter and her professionalism and tact and above all, her true Neutrality in the situation. The other 3 clowns dealings were all concerning my dealings with one lame FOS at our terminal who later got canned for personal integrity issues...hey what a coincidence..those were the same issues I had with the guy..

Anyways, conway probably did terminate him as a result of filing for workmens comp/fmla/accident all 3 in one combination. This guy probably wrote something stupid on his LOI remarks and that ticked everyone off...

To argue that he was solely caught up in a narrow window of management changes as well as director policy changes is simply ludicrous...even if that were to be the case, conway as well as any other employer has the responsibility to treat each employee consistently with regards to that employees peers...terminating him for the reason identified by conway was a very poor decision.

i read about a canadian driver that sued conway for wrongful termination. he had too many preventables in a short time and they let him go. the court case was posted online much like that one. he flipped his kite trying to make a u turn getting into the detroit terminal i believe. anyhow, in the end he lost the judgement.

no matter how good of an employee you are, no matter how much you go out of your way for this company or customer, they will fire you if they see that they have "just cause". even if it is frivolous bias and/or one sided. i have no respect for this company or its management/officers after seeing what a fellow driver went through. watch what you do out there guys! i know i am :smilie_132:

The issue however is does the company ALWAYS terminate employment for an accident of this severity.

If not than the guy may have a case.

Off the top of my head in Western I can name two cases where drivers had big stupid preventables and got to keep their job.

The currently ATM at UOA flipped a trailer in Fernley NV while a DSR at URE.

Another line driver at URE rolled a trailer returning from the bay area about 1 1/2 years ago and was allowed to keep his job.

no matter how good of an employee you are, no matter how much you go out of your way for this company or customer, they will fire you if they see that they have "just cause". even if it is frivolous bias and/or one sided. i have no respect for this company or its management/officers after seeing what a fellow driver went through. watch what you do out there guys! i know i am :smilie_132:

Very true!:1036316054:
Like they say you can do 100 good things and they most likely will take that for granted. (maybe the occasional Star Card or verbal "Atta Boy" to pacify you.)
The moment you do 1 bad thing it goes under the Con-way microscope.

However, it happens in other companies as well, but not as bad as you guys get it.

You get written up for something, they should show you the "Secret" detailed policy on it, maybe that way you will understand.

Obviously common sense applies to doing what's right and wrong, but the difference I've noticed is that you guys don't have a fair chance.
You have no "Ready" access to the On-line Policy manual to better inform yourselves of the technical aspects Con-way seems to ding you on. (Making it appear you got written up for 2 different reasons of the same thing.)

"Ready" access meaning:
  • You don't have to do circus tricks to get to it.
  • You don't have to have your TM/SCM breathing down your neck and rushing you when you are trying to understand it and have questions the TM/SCM might not even know the detailed answer to, thus making him appear dumb.

On the other side of the coin:
  • When you are hired you are rushed through the paper work signing process.
  • In that paperwork you have a few pertinent policies.
  • Accident and Speeding policy is one of them.

On the side of the coin:
  • Why don't all of you request a copy of your personnel file. You can do this by putting in a request in writing. A few guys I know of have done this. It does make it tough for management to gather the info but you get your file in a few days.
  • Than request to see the online policy manual like management! stated in his one hit wonder post.

This way you will be better informed and you will all be ......better "Enablers"
........It Starts With You!

Did I put this topic in a ditch again? Oh well sorry. Good Luck Gentlemen! Go seek your Personnel Files!