ABF | Any new freight?

When I worked for Roadway they would get a lot of school teachers working the dock for the summer in Carlisle & trust me we knew it, damages were through the roof….
At Nationsway (NW) they used to let football players from Colorado State University work casual in the summer. The owner was a big supporter. I saw this big cornfed boy, nickname given to him by our dockmen, come off the dock running to the shop which was about 1/4 mile from the dock then run back empty handed. 2 days later I saw him do it again so I stopped him and gave him a heads up, I told him there is no such thing as a "Trailer Stretcher". True story God bless him he just wanted to do good work. Spent about 3 months with us. :lmao:

When I worked for Roadway they would get a lot of school teachers working the dock for the summer in Carlisle & trust me we knew it, damages were through the roof….
Same problem here with our casuals. Claims are thru the roof as they just don't have the experience. Most of our regulars get to go to town or hostle most days on our first two shifts. The biggest problem we have though is lack of experienced supervisors. When ABF announced they were moving our work to Memphis back in 2014, almost all of our experienced supervisors either quit or retired. Needless to say, the move never happened. Now our most experienced dock supervisor we have has maybe 7 or 8 years in. The rest have 3 years or less. Thanks again Roy Slagle for that genius idea of moving to Memphis.

Last edited:
What's it like to go to town. Any purdy girls there?
You mean the ones with the sloping heads like 'ole Bubba likes? They are everywhere in these parts. Problem is, unless you are a bid city driver, you don't get a uniform. And you know what a man in uniform does for the ladies. Overalls and a wife beater t-shirt with tobacco stains on it just don't have the same effect on these girls around here as a uniform does. LOL!!!

At Nationsway (NW) they used to let football players from Colorado State University work casual in the summer. The owner was a big supporter. I saw this big cornfed boy, nickname given to him by our dockmen, come off the dock running to the shop which was about 1/4 mile from the dock then run back empty handed. 2 days later I saw him do it again so I stopped him and gave him a heads up, I told him there is no such thing as a "Trailer Stretcher". True story God bless him he just wanted to do good work. Spent about 3 months with us. :lmao:
:cuss:Ain’t you the funny bastard, Hook. I only fell for it once....:ranting2:

1 retired, 1 transfered to another abf terminal, 1 been out hurt last 8 months, now another one just got hurt out till november and 1 is transfering to another terminal July 1. So total will now be 5. No new hires and still all closed up by 9pm.
We had a guy transfer in from Allentown less then a year ago he already has a 9:30 bid....We have 4 guys on comp. that are not coming back, we also had 4 or 5 guys calling for a job a few months ago when yrc was talking about merging terminals the TM got a fat head refusing to take their calls now no one is calling we are busy as hell with abusive hours....

Same problem here with our casuals. Claims are thru the roof as they just don't have the experience. Most of our regulars get to go to town or hostle most days on our first two shifts. The biggest problem we have though is lack of experienced supervisors. When ABF announced they were moving our work to Memphis back in 2014, almost all of our experienced supervisors either quit or retired. Needless to say, the move never happened. Now our most experienced dock supervisor we have has maybe 7 or 8 years in. The rest have 3 years or less. Thanks again Roy Slagle for that genius idea of moving to Memphis.
Ole Roy...he was a good one! Sam Walton named his dog food after him.
When he was president (Slagel) things got a turn in the wrong direction. Glad that he
took the "early--wink, wink" retirement..

When I worked for Ryder in the eighties we had a few N.Y. Giants football players working casual at our barn in their off season. It was very common in the N.Y. N.J. Supplement area to see fireman and policeman working casual on our docks.

When I worked for Ryder in the eighties we had a few N.Y. Giants football players working casual at our barn in their off season. It was very common in the N.Y. N.J. Supplement area to see fireman and policeman working casual on our docks.
I guess they were all trying to tap into some off that "smokin' hot lady" action that you handsome SOB's had going on there at Ryder. LOL!!!