SAIA | Any truth to the rumor?

It must be true. I came back from my run last night and there were a handful of empties sitting in the yard...Overnite, err UPS label scars still visible.

jiffs SUCK.....
Like the saying goes...choosy muthas choose jiffs...lol
Golden Retriever Puppy GIF by Jesse Ling

With the pup type companies starting to run their own rail boxes a jiff setup could help cover the shortage of tandem tractors , I did wheelies when I was a kid and I'm starting to do them again in my single
Thats one thing I could not do.

HOWEVER. There is ONE exception.

I had a old B&B International Paystar tractor hauling a cement bulk tanker to and from Hope. I had pulled into a Benton truckstop real quick to take care of a nature call. When I go to pull out, the transmission locked down in a certain way and refused to accept any clutch input to break power for the next gear.

The front end rose about 10 feet up and then slammed back down when the final drives and axles snapped at the first drive axle. I engaged interlock and got moving again but a half mile later trying to merge onto a service road, the rear axle failed completely, then both axles dumped the contents of the housing as in gallons of oil all over the pavement out of the hubs themselves.

Alot of people got involved fast. I hardly had to get out of the cab before hazmat showed up to sweep the oil, a captian hook to get the whole thing back to west little rock yard and so on.

They blamed me for the transmission failure. It was a month before they handed that thing back to me. Three days later the riveted floor fell out of the cab bottom onto the frame at 72 mph on the interstate near Hope. I let her drift to a half thanking God for my life. Seeing pavement, driveshaft and all that between my feet with steering wheel above my head and the pedals too high to lean back and reach. I just killed the engine and let her drift to a stop.

My trainer had his old 359 pete on airride and fairly new. He quit with specific instruciton to hand me that tractor. I had been on airride forever and so on. The bosses failed to do so. The paystar finally failed one day under a 130,000 gross weight load dragging past Redfield for Little Rock. I quit the next morning.

There was no money in that poor old tractor. Not for 700 miles a day.