anybody ever work for PFG food service, good money but hard work, 55-60K 4 DAY WEEK

guitarman

TB Lurker
Credits
hey yall
anybody ever do food service work, good pay but u have to unload your own truck
approx 4-6 stops per day average miles 1000-1400 per week, avg pay 900-1300, only four days a week, sounds like a good GIG to me
thinking of starting with them in a couple of weeks
any ex food service drivers out there that can offer helpful info
thought this might be the way to go right out of school (recent grad) versus starting out over the road

I work in the food/ grocery industry, the work is hard, but you almost get addicted to it. Its not a bad way to go if you don't mind working, its kinda fun sometimes, the weather can be a hassle depending where you are. Customer service is key, so you have to get along with all types of people. You'll earn the money you get , but get great home time and save money on a gym membership. I pull two overnight routes a week in 3 1/2 days and get in a little over 40 hours. Its also a seqment of the industry that stays somewhat stable. Good Luck

I worked for PFG AR, now PFS, I'm with Sysco OK now cuz I had to move back here, I miss PFG, but I double my pay at Sysco, I'm on night key drop though, not everyone can make the money I make on days, I'm on nights by choice, if I could do midnights at PFS and make just a bit more than I did I would go back in a heartbeat...BTW I worked 5 days and averaged 1000.00 per wk, I work 4 days here and do high 15's, I throw alot more cases though, PFS is a good company, IDK where you will work out of but don't be scared, that company will treat you right!!!

hey yall
anybody ever do food service work, good pay but u have to unload your own truck
approx 4-6 stops per day average miles 1000-1400 per week, avg pay 900-1300, only four days a week, sounds like a good GIG to me
thinking of starting with them in a couple of weeks
any ex food service drivers out there that can offer helpful info
thought this might be the way to go right out of school (recent grad) versus starting out over the road

Is this with a local PFG warehouse or is it running chain accounts with a sleeper? And where?

BTW whats with the 4-6 stops per day, maybe on the team deal, thats the customized div. they do chains, if your in broadline it will be more like 12-26 stops per day, thats my experience anyhow.

BTW whats with the 4-6 stops per day, maybe on the team deal, thats the customized div. they do chains, if your in broadline it will be more like 12-26 stops per day, thats my experience anyhow.

I saw that too. 4-6 stops sound like chain accounts. Nice how they post once and never come back though.

Looking at food service. Have applied to PFG (they are adding 3 spots here) and Sygma about 65 miles away. I've done auto parts delivery for about 5 1/2 years (mostly to mom and pop dealers) so I've done some hand loading/unloading but it wasn't near as heavy or as much. I've been OTR for the last couple of years since I got laid off so i'm out of shape (my current gig is driver assist pallet jack unload). Right now I'm hoping to get on at PFG since it's home daily and won't be such a bear of a commute.

Looking at food service. Have applied to PFG (they are adding 3 spots here) and Sygma about 65 miles away. I've done auto parts delivery for about 5 1/2 years (mostly to mom and pop dealers) so I've done some hand loading/unloading but it wasn't near as heavy or as much. I've been OTR for the last couple of years since I got laid off so i'm out of shape (my current gig is driver assist pallet jack unload). Right now I'm hoping to get on at PFG since it's home daily and won't be such a bear of a commute.

Go get it Don, I worked for them out of Arkansas for 2.5 years, I would still be there but I had to move back home to OK for family reasons, they are a great company. Don't worry about being in shape, as long as you just tough it out and stay with the job, you will get back in shape, you will hurt bad and wonder why you did it.

Let me tell you though, you can make really good money, and its a very rewarding job, you will make good friends out of your customers, its all about your attitude.

I have always said, if you like misery, foodservice will give you all you can handle, but if your a positive person, and don't mind work, you will be very happy, often times people that get into foodservice, don't ever leave, whether they move into mgmt or go to shuttle like I did, or sales, its a unique industry, like none other.

You will have many folks with lots of experience here on TruckingBoards in the foodservice forum to help you along, encourage you and give advice to help you succeed. Good luck Brother!

GT

Can't believe it, I just was offered a job as a Shuttle Driver. Still have to do the Physical ability test, Physical, and drug screen. If all goes well I'll be a PFGer on the 16th of July. :dance:

Can't believe it, I just was offered a job as a Shuttle Driver. Still have to do the Physical ability test, Physical, and drug screen. If all goes well I'll be a PFGer on the 16th of July. :dance:

One day before my birthday! I can't believe you were offered shuttle, run, don't walk to that job, as fast as you can!!!!

Went to the Doc in a box in Indy and got poked, prodded, and pumped a little iron. I am official :woohoo1: Sounds like we are going to be busy out the gate.

Survived orientation and the first week of doing it for real. So far it's cake, though I'm not looking forward to Doubles on ice.

Survived orientation and the first week of doing it for real. So far it's cake, though I'm not looking forward to Doubles on ice.

None of us do Don, food is pretty good about shutting things down, at least around OK and AR, I guess you will see, I'm glad your liking it!

Doubles arent bad on snow and ice. Just take your time and dont slam on your breaks. When I pulled doubles I was the one passing everyone still. Good luck and enjoy that job

Well,still at it. Was doing 5 days a week for a while. Good Money but it wears on you. Now I'm doing 4 days a week. Getting about 45 hours a week at almost 21 an hour. ;)

Still going. Can't believe how bad the turnover is with what they pay. Had one guy who they hired after me at my barn bail with no notice. I got to do delivery a couple of 16 hour days to cover for that. Talk about a butt kicker. Several of the newer guys I've dealt with up at the big barn have bailed. There's a fair bit of flaming bull, but you deal with that everywhere. I'll enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

Had some "fun" through the winter. Can't believe how bad Indiana and Illinois are at clearing the roads. Only had to park it and camp out in a hotel once, though.

Know what you mean about the turnover. Our VP the other week. He had only been there only a few months. He came from US food. The new guys that has been hired at our yard one talking about quitting and another having a stint in his heart but smokes 3 packs a day and drinks like a fish. Lord our supervisor can really pickem.