FedEx Freight | Anyone seen new city trucks yet?

skippy

TB Lurker
Credits
Our 14 year old city trucks are dying fast. Holes in frames, rotten cross members, etc.

We were told new ones were due in August to replace 8 of ours, but we have yet to see one.

Our 14 year old city trucks are dying fast. Holes in frames, rotten cross members, etc.

We were told new ones were due in August to replace 8 of ours, but we have yet to see one.
Just have to wait and make do.

Tractors from the 1930's and 1940's are being replaced first, then 1950's and 1960s, finally 1970's and 1980's. 1990's - today are due to be retired in 2030 because they are so reliable.

I know we’ve had this conversation before so I’ll go ahead paraphrase my responses from previous post...

Although city drivers need and deserve new trucks, the facts are city trucks just aren’t as high on the priority list...for various reasons. Again, city drivers need and deserve them but, you knew it was coming, new city trucks just aren’t sound investments. For what a new city truck cost vs its limited use (city only) and the fact that there’s little to no resale value makes buying new city trucks unattractive financially.

I’m not saying they won’t buy new city trucks but these are just some of the reasons why the city gets reclassed road tractors over new city trucks...but hey, at least they’re still “new” to the city!! :1036316054:

At my barn there aren't many "city trucks". Most guys peddle in road units. Ironically, the senior guys fight over the old trucks here.

I know we’ve had this conversation before so I’ll go ahead paraphrase my responses from previous post...

Although city drivers need and deserve new trucks, the facts are city trucks just aren’t as high on the priority list...for various reasons. Again, city drivers need and deserve them but, you knew it was coming, new city trucks just aren’t sound investments. For what a new city truck cost vs its limited use (city only) and the fact that there’s little to no resale value makes buying new city trucks unattractive financially.

I’m not saying they won’t buy new city trucks but these are just some of the reasons why the city gets reclassed road tractors over new city trucks...but hey, at least they’re still “new” to the city!! :1036316054:
Red's trophy truck, when his name is painted on drivers door

We were told that City Drivers would no longer be allowed to have yearly bids on tractors. What you have will be your permanent truck. Another instance of the company not honoring seniority like they should. If Road Drivers bid on tractors, we should retain the right as City Drivers to do the same. Just like with the New Tractor situation the company caters to the Road side and to hell with the City.

City drivers don't need new trucks, they deserve "hand me downs"
If they want to drive new trucks, go to Mt Holly and deliver new Freightliners.

City drivers don't need new trucks, they deserve "hand me downs"
If they want to drive new trucks, go to Mt Holly and deliver new Freightliners.
That’s the kind of thinking to be expected from a teamster. You guys preach solidarity, but are ok with a lower top pay for newer guys. Union drivers don’t stick up for each other. They just pay lip service to the concept.

That’s the kind of thinking to be expected from a teamster. You guys preach solidarity, but are ok with a lower top pay for newer guys. Union drivers don’t stick up for each other. They just pay lip service to the concept.

City guys are so much smarter than line drivers, guess thats why they let them do the switching for line drivers.
"Show me one of my posts where I've said a new hire shouldn't make the same as a veteran employee"

City guys are so much smarter than line drivers, guess thats why they let them do the switching for line drivers.
"Show me one of my posts where I've said a new hire shouldn't make the same as a veteran employee"
Don’t have to see your post. All you have to do is look at the contracts being proposed and enacted. Fedex Road Drivers do their own hooks. Maybe your road guys aren’t smart enough to do their own.

Don’t have to see your post. All you have to do is look at the contracts being proposed and enacted. Fedex Road Drivers do their own hooks. Maybe your road guys aren’t smart enough to do their own.

Don't get all pouty mouthed, Hammer, Red may let you drive his truck when he is on the golf course.
I didn't realize you were a "wanna be" line driver.

We were told that City Drivers would no longer be allowed to have yearly bids on tractors. What you have will be your permanent truck. Another instance of the company not honoring seniority like they should. If Road Drivers bid on tractors, we should retain the right as City Drivers to do the same. Just like with the New Tractor situation the company caters to the Road side and to hell with the City.
I beg to differ...it’s not that they cater to the road side, it’s more cost effective to purchase road trucks that can be used on the road AND city and still be able to get something for them when they’re ready to sell.

Wasn’t your seniority honored when the city bid on your trucks?? Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t you bid on the same truck for the last several years anyways?? :scratchhead: Haven’t heard of the “permanent truck” clause, not saying it isn’t true either, just haven’t heard of it. Sounds like a local decision to me...

I beg to differ...it’s not that they cater to the road side, it’s more cost effective to purchase road trucks that can be used on the road AND city and still be able to get something for them when they’re ready to sell.

Wasn’t your seniority honored when the city bid on your trucks?? Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t you bid on the same truck for the last several years anyways?? :scratchhead: Haven’t heard of the “permanent truck” clause, not saying it isn’t true either, just haven’t heard of it. Sounds like a local decision to me...
Whether I bid the same truck is irrelevant. You and the other Road Drivers would scream bloody murder if they stopped allowing bidding on tractors. So I call bull on that part. And it’s company policy now. NOT a local rule. As to the trade in monetary deal. The few new City tractors we have gotten are kept for a long time. So trade cost effectiveness is negated. Seniority is the one thing that you just don’t screw with. The troops will not take kindly to that kind of crap. Let’s see if you are so ambivalent when it’s your turn to enjoy this bullshit.

Whether I bid the same truck is irrelevant. You and the other Road Drivers would scream bloody murder if they stopped allowing bidding on tractors. So I call bull on that part. And it’s company policy now. NOT a local rule. As to the trade in monetary deal. The few new City tractors we have gotten are kept for a long time. So trade cost effectiveness is negated. Seniority is the one thing that you just don’t screw with. The troops will not take kindly to that kind of crap. Let’s see if you are so ambivalent when it’s your turn to enjoy this :horseshit:.
You obviously haven’t kept up with how trucks are bid on the road for the last several years...only runs that don’t slipseat are allowed to be bid on with your choice of truck and even then you have to pick from a “pool” of trucks. If the truck you want isn’t in the pool of trucks for the bid you want then you’re SOL. If the run slipseats then the truck is assigned to that run, we don’t have a choice!! We don’t “scream bloody murder” because a truck is just a truck, the bid is more important than what we drive...just sayin’. We have guys that will choose a truck over a run but that’s their prerogative...not wise IMO.

Correct, the few “new” city trucks we have HAVE to be kept for a long time because they’re useless for anything other than city and they’re worthless when they’re done. Road trucks are kept twice as long and they still get something for them once resold...not exactly “negated” as you claim.

We’ve been “enjoying this :horseshit:“ for awhile now, it’s part of the business...welcome to the party!! :1036316054:

You obviously haven’t kept up with how trucks are bid on the road for the last several years...only runs that don’t slipseat are allowed to be bid on with your choice of truck and even then you have to pick from a “pool” of trucks. If the truck you want isn’t in the pool of trucks for the bid you want then you’re SOL. If the run slipseats then the truck is assigned to that run, we don’t have a choice!! We don’t “scream bloody murder” because a truck is just a truck, the bid is more important than what we drive...just sayin’. We have guys that will choose a truck over a run but that’s their prerogative...not wise IMO.

Correct, the few “new” city trucks we have HAVE to be kept for a long time because they’re useless for anything other than city and they’re worthless when they’re done. Road trucks are kept twice as long and they still get something for them once resold...not exactly “negated” as you claim.

We’ve been “enjoying this :horseshit:“ for awhile now, it’s part of the business...welcome to the party!! :1036316054:
On this one you are full of bullshit. At least you can bid a different run every 6 months to get out of a POS truck. How would you like it to be PERMANENT? Or say they sell my truck and I get it’s replacement, and it’s a total bomb. I might have to keep it for years. Not 6 months. Is it just because it doesn’t affect you or the other Road Drivers that it’s ok to change our lot in the city for the worse? Do you even remember being a city driver? A decent tractor with a good turning radius can make all of the difference in the world. We only bid start times in the City, not routes. Maybe they should change to Road only bidding start times too. How would that go over?

Last edited: