FedEx Freight | Applying to FedEx Freight and National, Bay Area, CA

yellowgy

TB Lurker
Credits
I just applied as a driver to FedEx Freight and FedEx National in the San Leandro and Hayward, CA. I have been in school for the last 18 months after being laid-off from Yellow in Nov. 08. Can anyone tell me what it's like at FedEx, i.e. pay, retirement, benefits, etc.? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

its great here. Quite possibly the best truck driving job ever. pay is high, we have pension, plus 401K and match. your expected to do your job everyday. only downside is not much job security. good luck....

I can't tell you what you will make starting off. At FedEx National each area, Cal being the highest, due to cost of living, will be different than my area/Midwest. Our drivers, on the clock, are topped out at $22.05! Linehaul topps at $.5637. My insurance, Health/dental, and vision, for a family of 5 is around $85. every 2 weeks. My extra life insurance $3.88 for 2wks. The 401k has $.50 on 1% and $.25 up to 6%, I think! You have stock purchase, payroll deducted, option. The pension is based on your age, company time at FedEx and is a percentage. FedEx Freight is different! Goodluck, but I will say this, keep your Teamster -hit to yourself and your memories, 10-4

Thanks for the input. While I've done what is required of me as a union member ( voting, etc.), I've never been a "union or die" kind of person. My goal has always been to do my job the way it should be done. Can anyone tell me what a typical schedule would be for a newbie and how long the hiring process will take, assuming I'm fortunate enough to be selected?

Thanks again.

Time to hire on can vary as to how bad they need the help. I applied online on a thursday, talked to the recruiter on monday. Interviewed, physical and road tested the following monday/tuesday. Background check completed a week later, and signed the offer sheet a grand total of 21 days after applying. Now I have also heard of it taking 2+ mos!
First few weeks on the job would also vary as to staffing needs and whether your line haul or city. My first 3 days were watching DVD's and computer learning/testing (nothing too hard!) followed by 1 day riding with a city P&D guy, 1 day on a line haul ride along. Week 2 I was doing line haul solo because they were short drivers. I will be going to Dallas next week for a week of corporate training (other guys here would know more about what that consists of). Then back to the home terminal, filing in and waiting for the bid. Basically 2 weeks of training at the hourly rate then off to work you go, for line haul anyway. I would assume P&D to be pretty much the same.
Good luck!

Well things are a mess in bay area because they fired the TM and two supers for faultsifying drivers lunch time records. Not postive on reason but for sure on the firings. This is in San Jose but i think it is affecting San Leandro too

I wouldnt think so as they need the drivers. I see our Asst TM was back to work at our terminal so maybe they got the people in place but like other post it takes awhile.

Thanks for the heads-up. I know every company has it's good and bad, but generally speaking I have always had a high regard for FedEx, and most of the time employees I have talked to speak positively of the company. I hope to hear something soon.

Thanks again.