Averitt | Are Averitt Ltl average drives making 65,000 a year?

First you would have to wait for a shuttle driver to die then after his job is handed down to all his kin you might have a shot at LTL shuttle...

True on hard to land a Shuttle position, but yes that is a good average pay for a Shuttle driver. You would hire on as Truckload or possibly Combo.

99% chance that you will NEVER become a Shuttle driver at Averitt. Combo or Truckload? Maybe.
Our dear leaders experienced how much money they could save with the use the Combo Driver, suggested of course by some ex-Conway pencil pusher. So any idea of EVER becoming a Shuttle driver with this outfit are slim to none.

The reason COmbo wasn't thrown on the s**t heap of bad ideas years ago is because many people just let this screwing in pay hit them with no resistance whatsoever and the idea just made the shirts in corp. smile from ear to ear.

I would like to drive ltl for Averitt someday. What is the average yearly pay for Averitt ltl drivers?

Are you remotely happy doing what you are doing now? Hiring on to shuttle, is about the same as being taken bodily into Heaven! Unless you are kin to a shirt, or someone dies! If you happen to get hired on into a shuttle position, you 1st must be able to take a road test to ensure you can drive with your nose stuck high up the air, then you must be able to show a condesending attitude towards all other T/L and P&D drivers at ALL times!

My job stinks know im a collection agent for Toyota and let me tell ya it gets boring getting blamed for other people responsibilty of not paying their car note each week. I can drive fine does Averitt shuttle use auto or manual trucks?

You're not going to get a shuttle job whitelinegazer. You can hire on to truck load and perhaps move to a combo position later. Almost all truck load trucks are auto shift...

You're not going to get a shuttle job whitelinegazer. You can hire on to truck load and perhaps move to a combo position later. Almost all truck load trucks are auto shift...
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD HE/SHE HIRE ON IN TRUCKLOAD TO EXPECT TO EARN THAT KIND OF MONEY, OR EVEN IN THE SLIMMEST OF HOPES OF GETTING INTO A SHUTTLE POSITION, ONLY TO GET DISCOURAGED AND QUIT. Saw a memo at NAS offering a Single Sleeper Shuttle position to ANY COMBO or SHUTTLE DRIVER....NOTHING SAID ABOUT T/L or DEDICATED FOLKS....ONE big happy family,,,YEAH RIGHT!

This company never has,does not now and never will work as a team.65000 a year not likely unless you have a great bid run,not many of them.Jeepman don't hate all shuttle drivers,Truck Load has some a$$holes too.

This company never has,does not now and never will work as a team.65000 a year not likely unless you have a great bid run,not many of them.Jeepman don't hate all shuttle drivers,Truck Load has some a$$holes too.

More than some.......I don't hate on ALL Shuttle Drivers......I save plenty of venom for P&D,Dedicated,Flatbed and yes my fellow Truckload Drivers. I'm sure that MANY of my fellow Avrt workers think I'm a complete ARSE!...I lose plenty of sleep about that.....NOT!
BTW Any posts I make about the "SAINTED" LTL Shuttle Drivers are from personal observations and are NOT intended to be construed as "HATING ON THEM".

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, sometimes I swear I work for a different company than what the things I hear on this forum. I ask myself how can I be content and satisfied in my career while so many seem to hate everything. The only conclusions I can come up with is: I have reached my goal of Shuttle driver, this was my intent 24 years ago when I hired on, I don't know about and or worry myself with issues that do not affect me, I trust my supervisors on all levels and they trust me, I make excellent money doing something I love, I have mercy on drivers who are less familiar with driving and their surroundings, I treat and greet everyone as if I have known them forever, understanding that I am clueless about what they are going through or have been through, I don't sweat the small stuff, I have an awesome loving wife and two sons that bring explainable joy to my life, but most importantly I believe what the Bible teaches about doing ALL things,including my work ethic, for the glory of the Lord, meaning that the way I handle myself while on duty is in submission to Jesus Christ and by following his example in all I do, sure I work for Averitt, but at the end of the day it's all about Jesus and not about me. Agree or disagree with my Christian worldview, but I love my life and thank God for it.

Perhaps its because you get top pay and paid hub miles unlike us TL drivers that have to work for free...15-20% more miles driven for free because they pay us short miles. You don't have to sit for 10-12 hours with no pay. Your boss doesn't have the attitude "If you don't like it we have 5 student drivers lined up to take your truck" attitude...etc.

I sat at our "Preimer" customer in Macon GA, week b4 last for 29hrs, dirt lot,no food, portable toliets(a total abomination) for a grand total of $140.00,only to drop it off at the Macon yard!

This is why Iceman loves his job jeepman he doesn't have to deal with this stuff...he doesn't drive down the road every night knowing that 5 cents of every mile he drives is donated for free to Averitt...He works on the side of Averitt that actually treats him like a human instead of a dirt bag. He doesn't know that side of Averitt exists...

I think Iceman loves his job because he started out on the dock, then went to p&d, and has been shuttle for some time. He probably feels like he has had a lot to do with this company's success. I know that is how I feel.

Are you remotely happy doing what you are doing now? Hiring on to shuttle, is about the same as being taken bodily into Heaven! Unless you are kin to a shirt, or someone dies! If you happen to get hired on into a shuttle position, you 1st must be able to take a road test to ensure you can drive with your nose stuck high up the air, then you must be able to show a condesending attitude towards all other T/L and P&D drivers at ALL times!
I took this test.

I can drive fine does Averitt shuttle use auto or manual trucks?
They had to buy all automatic trucks because the low-lifes they have been forced to hire as a result of the low pay were tearing out transmissions and clutches at an alarming rate. They will tell you that the automatics get better fuel mileage but like every other thing that comes from these people it is a bunch of horse dung.

I worked the dock, worked P&D, worked as a hostler and was even a lead supervisor (got out of that highly underpaid position on my OWN volition) and run Shuttle on a bid. Run the same route nightly, sleep in my bed daily and because of my seniority I have choice of the run I bid. I made $85k two years running as I had a damn good run. I chose to not work so hard and now I run shorter run...MY CHOICE.

It is not CM's fault nor is it MY fault that our dear leaders from on high have axed the adding of shuttle runs. They smelled money savings with this combo deal along with a pool of sheeple that were ready willing and able to work for a lesser rate. It is now all combo all the time. If the drivers, en masse, had stood up when they dreamed up this crackpot position of combo and said "screw you corporate", maybe we wouldn't have this combo mess to deal with. If CM or myself would leave Shuttle, for whatever reason, our replacement would be made with a combo driver. Don't blame us, blame your wonderful and and extremely knowledgeable leaders on Neal St (LOL....NOT).

When a combo driver pulls out the gate behind me and chases me for 600 miles all night long, he makes $27 less for that run than I do when in fact we both did the exact same job. Over a week this adds up to $135 It is terribly unfair and inequitable but these combo drivers keep coming back for more. I would NEVER do it and would move on elsewhere.

I would never say that I have met a goal of being a shuttle driver. It is simply a job that affords me a paycheck until such time as I can retire or I win the lottery and I am waiting on both of these events to happen, sooner than later. PLUS...religion has absolutely nothing to do with any of it and trusting the bunch that run this company without any doubts is believing a lot of falsehoods. I've been here north of 15 years and have seen HUGE changes (other than the inept upper management) that have actually made it a far worse place to work than it once was. Averitt use to be very competitive in their pay scales but over the years we have become bottom feeders.

For you newbies at AE, I only wish you could have been around to experience what once was. Sadly, those days are long gone and no longer exist.