ODFL | Are drivers quitting because of the cameras?

I don't know about drivers quitting but I do know drivers who don't apply because of the cameras. Most city drivers will take a dollar less an hour not to be on camera all day.
I would work for a hell of alot less if you handed me say a old 75 freightshaker with a kitty and a bunch of dents.

But they dont know that do they? I am equally happy paid in burgers or in dollars.

This guy is a weirdo... At 9:30 AM I'm shopping online for cars I'd never buy like a real man
Im not functional at 9 damn am most mornings, I finished delivery and there is only two things on my mind. Fuel and breakfast. Not necessarily in that order.

At times I wonder where the roach coachers have gone.... a few dollars of that grub would make for a wonderful day despite it being already half gone.

There was a apple lady in Safeway in Atlanta, NW distribution center. Her thing is apples 7 am. Not 7:01 not 6:55.. 7. She will sit there and rock around that creaking chair until that wall clock strikes 7.

WHARS MY APPLES!? come out of there into the small holding area with me and her apples on my trailer. "Right heah..."

I think she will out live us all. That way I dont have to leave a apple in her coffin.

To this day what I really hate is a happy suit chirping GOOD MORNING DRIVAH! at 9 damn am.

WHAT? Been 1000 miles since yesterday, where have YOU been?

I've been on the corporate side of this business, and trust me, those workers have been monitored a lot longer than drivers. I got called on the carpet for spending too much time reading industry news sites on the internet, way back in 2008 before we all had smartphones and Facebook. One of many reasons I got out.
yeah, 'internet monitoring' has been going on since around 2000 I believe. I remember when I worked a warehouse job, back in 98-2000, and the manager in my dept got in trouble for going on certain sites. That is not new. However, a camera on you at all times(talking about OTR where you live in the sleeper) is totally uncalled for! I know of one person that drives OTR with a camera on him at all times, however, when he parks for the day/night, he is allowed to turn the inside camrea off. However, I told him I bet they have another camera installed he doesn't know about. He laughs and said doubtful. You never know, though. I just got a camera installed in the truck I share with another driver, and haven't had any problems at all. But, I do have to stop, completely, at all stop signs. Even pulling out of our terminal late at night, when nobody is around there IS a stop sign and I still have to stop. Sucks, but it is what it is.

If anyone is quitting because of the camera I haven't seen it. I guess if you're ok with a $40k year a job pulling a reefer with shiny wheels be my guest and go. Most of the LTL's are going to(or already are)monitoring their drivers in one form or another. It's gonna happen whether its wanted by drivers or not.
I don't know why you are replying to me? I was responding to the OP. You should reply to THEM, NOT ME. And yes, what you mentioned has been known for years. I saw it coming within the industry which is why I decided to get out of OTR trucking. Plus, tired of being by myself for 2-3 weeks at a time.

I don't know why you are replying to me? I was responding to the OP. You should reply to THEM, NOT ME. And yes, what you mentioned has been known for years. I saw it coming within the industry which is why I decided to get out of OTR trucking. Plus, tired of being by myself for 2-3 weeks at a time.
We miss ya at the big Easy driver

I can tell you of two particular stop signs I would love for THEM (Dispatch) to stop at. Then start that bitch straight up hill. One near Bethlehem PA and another near the Point of Rocks Bridge. Its almost too much to get her started again loaded from a full stop on dry pavement almost impossible in wet or snow ice etc.

Those two signs I usually took eyeballing all over for traffic. (None usually at that hour) they can fire me, fine me, ticket me whatever. But no broken drifshafts, torn out drive axles, bent bearings scatting all over and stripped tires and burnt clutches, torn transmission boxess etc. None of that.

How precious it is to save such expensive damage by taking a simple stop sign posted in some of the most craziest of spots.

I remember one incident in West Virginia deep in the hollow, I had to climb out past a stop sign. She actually did that frame hop on the tractor beating me to death while the suspension tore out. But I got it moving.

The shop work cost 2000 dollars after that episode. Mechanic told me I was lucky to have been on gravel, spun her out a little instead of tearing the whole thing out on pavement. The grade situation was so steep I saw nothing but sky and the ashes poured out of the ash tray all over that cab floor.

We miss ya at the big Easy driver
yeah, I wish I could go back, but I'm pretty sure that's a no go at all! However, I am happy at OD and what I am doing, just not happy with how freakin' slow it is. It does take forever to get a schedule run over here, yet, I know it doesn't take long at all over there. That's the only 'upside'. All in all, both companies are pretty similar(in they way things are in line haul).

If anyone is quitting because of the camera I haven't seen it. I guess if you're ok with a $40k year a job pulling a reefer with shiny wheels be my guest and go. Most of the LTL's are going to(or already are)monitoring their drivers in one form or another. It's gonna happen whether its wanted by drivers or not.
Yep cameras are just part of life now , they are everywhere and I mean everywhere !

Yep cameras are just part of life now , they are everywhere and I mean everywhere !
I wonder why all the anti camera group, never complain about being watched at the bank, Walmart, the gas station, Walgreens, Home Depot, street corners, themselves, and then posting it on FartBook? What’s that all about?

I wonder why all the anti camera group, never complain about being watched at the bank, Walmart, the gas station, Walgreens, Home Depot, street corners, themselves, and then posting it on FartBook? What’s that all about?
Have you ever got a call from any of these places telling you that you could do better this way or that way. Yes cameras are everywhere and everyone carries one . It is not about the camera , it is about the "coaching" . The person would sees a minute clip of something you did and then needs to coach you on how to be better. Yet this same person has never driven the truck you drive, driven down the roads you drive or even able to see what you see in the mirrors (when they are there and working). If i am in an accident or have footage of an accident in from of me they are great evidence , which is why many drivers buy their own, but no one is calling them to tell them , hey , you did not stop all the way at the stop sign or we watched as the car pulled in front of you and slowed down which made you slow down but you were still to close.
If the coaching was for aggressive driving calls or something like that it would understandable but to this point it has not

Have you ever got a call from any of these places telling you that you could do better this way or that way. Yes cameras are everywhere and everyone carries one . It is not about the camera , it is about the "coaching" . The person would sees a minute clip of something you did and then needs to coach you on how to be better. Yet this same person has never driven the truck you drive, driven down the roads you drive or even able to see what you see in the mirrors (when they are there and working). If i am in an accident or have footage of an accident in from of me they are great evidence , which is why many drivers buy their own, but no one is calling them to tell them , hey , you did not stop all the way at the stop sign or we watched as the car pulled in front of you and slowed down which made you slow down but you were still to close.
If the coaching was for aggressive driving calls or something like that it would understandable but to this point it has not
Like Smoke said a few posts back. They are everywhere . And I will add that, trucking companies aren’t totally responsible . Their insurance companies I’m sure have a hand in it. It’s called liability.

Like Smoke said a few posts back. They are everywhere . And I will add that, trucking companies aren’t totally responsible . Their insurance companies I’m sure have a hand in it. It’s called liability.
I think the vast majority of people who are against cameras don't like the driver facing kind, I know I don't.....road facing are just fine, if they want to pay me to be "coached" by someone who has never even sat in a truck let alone driven one, I will collect the overtime for it...no big deal...

I think the vast majority of people who are against cameras don't like the driver facing kind, I know I don't.....road facing are just fine, if they want to pay me to be "coached" by someone who has never even sat in a truck let alone driven one, I will collect the overtime for it...no big deal...
I like to put my bag over the camera, then slam on the brakes. The supervisor then says, not sure what happened, but the screen went dark at the time of the event?

Have a problem with a driver facing camera? Become a O & O. You have the ultimate control of camera, or no camera. von.