FedEx Freight | Are we charging our customers detention fees?

I have been told that FXF is or will be charging our customers if our P&D drivers have to wait more than 15 minutes. If this is true I believe that this is :fingure: up. Freight is getting slow so let's get our small customers
mad at us.
Lost coffee connection in Nashville due to this. I'm sure there are others, but this one I know for sure. They called to inquire about charge seeing how it was a large shipment, and no one would help them. So now there is a new carrier at their dock! Way to go corporate!

Shippers and receivers also have the option of not acting like they are the only stop a driver has that day and get their stuff on and off the truck in a timely manner. They can choose to not call for service until their freight is ready to be placed on the truck. “Oh, I didn’t think you’d get here so fast. Can you go somewhere else and come back in around 30 minutes?” They can choose to not block off 18 out of 20 dock doors with drop trailers and put the 3 skid LTL delivery in line behind the two full 53 foot OTR trailers that arrived before it.

As is typical, leadership is not created equal, or always accurate on the simplest things.

The Industry is regulated. Charges, rules, and processes are PUBLICLY available (FedEx Freight 100-V Rules Tariff).
Of course when contracts are agreed to (national accounts come to mind), certain fees are often waived. Inside delivery or liftgate, and notify services seem most common.

EVERY rule FedEx Freight operates under is available here. :

fxfe---detention-time---charges-1.md.jpeg

fxfe---detention-time---charges-2.md.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been told that FXF is or will be charging our customers if our P&D drivers have to wait more than 15 minutes. If this is true I believe that this is :fingure: up. Freight is getting slow so let's get our small customers
mad at us.
My center had it in writing for what they would be charging customers. I believe they have been doing this for a few months now.

0563345B-218D-43D6-AF16-91BEEC03F82D.md.jpeg

Old news, it’s been at least a year since they said they were cracking down.
mad at us.

At my center the dispatcher calls you and asks if the delay was because of the customer or something FedEx did to make it take longer than expected.
I've only been called once and the customer definately deserved to be charged extra for holding us up.

At my center the dispatcher calls you and asks if the delay was because of the customer or something FedEx did to make it take longer than expected.
I've only been called once and the customer definitely deserved to be charged extra for holding us up.
Hope they called you on your company phone .
I don't answer my phone and keep forgetting
to set up voice mail . I don't know how to use
text messaging on my 98 Nokia Flip phone . So
I just write it on the dr .

Well have a nice day .
SMOKESTACK :wee:

I've only been called once and the customer definately deserved to be charged extra for holding us up.
Fair point. If they're ACTIVELY engaged in loading or unloading, that is very different than doing nothing.

Anyone ever pay attention to the EXTRA fees charged (above the regular charges) for over length and extreme length? WOW :hororr:

click for better view
over-length---fxfe-tariff-100.md.jpeg

When shipments contain any handling unit with a dimension of 8 feet or greater in length and less than 12 feet in length (measurement of the longest dimension), the following charges will apply: A. $250.00 per shipment, in addition to the otherwise applicable rates and charges.

A. $600 per shipment, with a dimension of 12 feet or greater and less than 15 feet.
B. $800 per shipment, with a dimension of 15 feet or greater and less than 18 feet.
C. $1,000 per shipment, with a dimension of 18 feet or greater and less than 20 feet.
D. $1,200 per shipment, with a dimension of 20 feet or greater.

No consideration given for weight, like a 20# tube, or ladder, etc. Explains why we don't see much of that kind of freight anymore. Almost never.

Last edited:
Hope they called you on your company phone .
I don't answer my phone and keep forgetting
to set up voice mail . I don't know how to use
text messaging on my 98 Nokia Flip phone . So
I just write it on the dr .

Well have a nice day
SMOKESTACK :wee:
I still use a bag phone and pager .:idunno:

Places that are being charged detention are now having us sign in an out with times, we had one place that was charged after the driver was in the dock for 5 minutes then pulled down in there lower lot and milked the clock for 40 minutes. Of course said driver was never asked about it, they told FX to stick freight charges and didn't pay it.

Places that are being charged detention are now having us sign in an out with times, we had one place that was charged after the driver was in the dock for 5 minutes then pulled down in there lower lot and milked the clock for 40 minutes. Of course said driver was never asked about it, they told FX to stick freight charges and didn't pay it.
Can't fix stupid.

whenever i got a call asking where i am.. i always told them i'm at the other end of the phone
Not here at Fedex, but a while back while waiting on another driver at an unscheduled meet I called road dispatch and was told my meet was at so-and-so location. OK, I figured the other driver had just called dispatch to let them know where he was. After waiting a while I again called dispatch to say my meet was still not here and dispatch said he's right around the corner, he's turning on to your street right now. Couldn't figure out how he could have known such precise information till I learned that our tractors had GPS and dispatch knew exactly where we were at any moment. Knowing that killed my plans for off-route adventures in the future! :smile new:

Not here at Fedex, but a while back while waiting on another driver at an unscheduled meet I called road dispatch and was told my meet was at so-and-so location. OK, I figured the other driver had just called dispatch to let them know where he was. After waiting a while I again called dispatch to say my meet was still not here and dispatch said he's right around the corner, he's turning on to your street right now. Couldn't figure out how he could have known such precise information till I learned that our tractors had GPS and dispatch knew exactly where we were at any moment. Knowing that killed my plans for off-route adventures in the future! :smile new:
Nosey bastards wanting to know where you're at.. :17142:

Last edited: