Holland | Are we no longer a next day company?

Keith900629

TB Lurker
Credits
We are so backed up we can't get out before 12,1,2,3 or 4 making us not get back until after noon. So the load just gets parked somewhere to be broken whenever. I got back at 1230 the other day with 5 guarantees they just put it in the back not worried about eating freight on guarantees.

Is it possible that there is a lot of competition on the 500 mile freight where the 1000 to 2000 mile freight you can charge more for poor service because the shipper does not have as many options?

Unfortunately between the new computer system and the weather issues the freight has backed up. The old Holland kick and pick on line-haul did not get as bottlenecked as the hub and spoke system we are on today, when one gets backed up it ripples through to the others. Several terminals were backed up prior to new computer system , that did not help matters. Starting a new computer system in the winter was not a very well planned event either. You would think someone would have considered that as the weather has been an excuse for poor earnings report often times.

Last edited:
Look at it this way.

Asia makes all of our Stuff. Europe the rest. Takes three months to get it over here to America.

Suddenly everyone wants it yesterday. Get going YER LATE!!!! WHERES MY STUFF?! NAOW!!!

Bleah. A warehouse full of imported retail merch rotting for a month on store shelves unsold. They can choke on their precious next day.

I have every right to rant in that form with the thoughts here. We did next sunrise loads anywhere east of the rockies from Memphis with Pharmacy loads and 54 hour schedule for blood plasma between LA CA and Avenel NY two trips every 6th day drop hook. I dont know outside of actual wartime anything hotter in trucking except maybe fresh cut flowers which we also handled.

There are certain slight formulations of decaying drugs with small radiation in them that is really hot. They usually fly that stuff. But once or twice we had a pallet that has to be there. And we tossed the logs and disabled the governor. ZIP. Its there. I think it was roughly 70 mph average at times with speeds exceeding a dollar. But those trips do not get talked about much. Those days are gone forever and thankful that it is so.

IF we order something and trucking needs a few days to get it delivered. Great. Awesome. Just be safe. No hurry here. Not today not tomorrow.

Why? because anything truly timely, we air freight it. Its at our door within 16 hours in some situations.

Old Yeller has a way with moving freight , don't it !!
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

We are so backed up we can't get out before 12,1,2,3 or 4 making us not get back until after noon. So the load just gets parked somewhere to be broken whenever. I got back at 1230 the other day with 5 guarantees they just put it in the back not worried about eating freight on guarantees.
Don't worry about it, put in your time, cash your paycheck and let management worry about the technical stuff.

Don't worry they will destroy the next day service,a change of systems in the dead of winter shows you how intelligent these nimrod are

Unfortunately between the new computer system and the weather issues the freight has backed up. The old Holland kick and pick on line-haul did not get as bottlenecked as the hub and spoke system we are on today, when one gets backed up it ripples through to the others. Several terminals were backed up prior to new computer system , that did not help matters. Starting a new computer system in the winter was not a very well planned event either. You would think someone would have considered that as the weather has been an excuse for poor earnings report often times.
Tell Darren to shut down the computers until warm weather. That should help move the freight more efficiently.

I think it is getting better already. That being said there sure are a lot of people leaving or talking about leaving! But that's OK, I just read that Yellow is opening up 2 new driving schools! If you can't hire people who can drive just hire people and train them! Going to be the Swift of LTL.

I think it is getting better already. That being said there sure are a lot of people leaving or talking about leaving! But that's OK, I just read that Yellow is opening up 2 new driving schools! If you can't hire people who can drive just hire people and train them! Going to be the Swift of LTL.
My partner and I have been asked to do some of the training at the new schools.

BF020311-7787-40B1-9C7B-A06B0B6B8732.md.jpg

Tell Darren to shut down the computers until warm weather. That should help move the freight more efficiently.
They might have planned it for this time of year for that reason, hey let’s blame the weather instead of our poor decisions.

Next earnings report.

“We suffered some losses due to the weather and lack of trailers, our management team played a critical role in solving this issue and we are back on track as a Super Duper Regional Carrier.”

you are no longer a company.

They might have planned it for this time of year for that reason, hey let’s blame the weather instead of our poor decisions.

Next earnings report.

“We suffered some losses due to the weather and lack of trailers, our management team played a critical role in solving this issue and we are back on track as a Super Duper Regional Carrier.”
Computers froze up in cold temperatures in Georgia.
Hurricanes in Wisconsin.
Mirror debris on 294.
Cars waiting on chips parked on roads in Kentucky.
Canadian trucks blocking the border to Buffalo.
Containers sitting on rail cars in California.
Steward of the Rocks cousins blocking I 40 in Arkansas protesting weight watcher TikTok videos.

Last edited:
Computers froze up in cold temperatures in Georgia.
Hurricanes in Wisconsin.
Mirror debris on 294.
Cars waiting on chips parked on roads in Kentucky.
Canadian trucks blocking the border to Buffalo.
Containers sitting on rail cars in California.
Steward of the Rocks cousins blocking I 40 in Arkansas protesting weight watchers TikTok videos.
And a dab of ice closing everything for half a week.

Yesterday I had to run around town for 9 blessed hours with everyone else trying to round up last week's unfinished errands due to the storm. What a mess.