XPO | ARE WE THE ONLY MAJOR PLAYERS IN LTL THAT WORK THE DOCK?

I ran a schedule like that for awhile. LOVED IT! 12 on 12 off for 4 days then 4 off. Couldn't do jack on your 4 work days, but it was like a long weekend every off period. It was a rolling 4 on 4 off so you ended up working Friday Saturday Sunday Monday some shifts but you could count out on the calander for the whole year and see the go/no go weekends. My wife and kids liked it too.
Sound like bulkmatic

Sound like bulkmatic
No wasn't bulkmatic. It was a laundry supply company that supplied linen to hospitals. Everything from wash cloths and bedding to OR sterilized stuff and isolation suite suits. They needed 365/24/7 coverage and it was a great way to deal with holidays weekends etc. Bottom guys weren't always stuck with crap runs and weekends. Everyone I worked with liked it , senior guys right to bottom guys. Only reason I left was they lost two big accounts to a competitor and they could only keep about 1/2 the people busy.

No wasn't bulkmatic. It was a laundry supply company that supplied linen to hospitals. Everything from wash cloths and bedding to OR sterilized stuff and isolation suite suits. They needed 365/24/7 coverage and it was a great way to deal with holidays weekends etc. Bottom guys weren't always stuck with crap runs and weekends. Everyone I worked with liked it , senior guys right to bottom guys. Only reason I left was they lost two big accounts to a competitor and they could only keep about 1/2 the people busy.
Was that company union? Just curious

Does anyone think XPO will ever follow what most other companies are doing regarding working the dock if your linehaul run is say 500 or more miles ? Most other carriers I talk with say if over 475 , others over 500 I think Fedex was over 520 you don’t have to work the dock . Most LTLs will follow what others do eventually .
No, it was a nonunion company.

They honored seniority for everything. The schedule I described was adopted with all drivers in favor of it. 28 guys if I recall correctly
PO

Does anyone think XPO will ever follow what most other companies are doing regarding working the dock if your linehaul run is say 500 or more miles ? Most other carriers I talk with say if over 475 , others over 500 I think Fedex was over 520 you don’t have to work the dock . Most LTLs will follow what others do eventually .

PO
I hope not. I do 480+ every night and being able to get that roughly ten hours a week on the dock really shows up in the paycheck on Monday night. What can I say, I like the money. ( The view expressed here is mine alone and not binding In any upcoming union contract. )

I hope not. I do 480+ every night and being able to get that roughly ten hours a week on the dock really shows up in the paycheck on Monday night. What can I say, I like the money. ( The view expressed here is mine alone and not binding In any upcoming union contract. )
All the drivers I have talked with from the other carriers union and non union that don’t work the dock get paid their hourly rate while waiting for the loads whether it be napping in their truck or waiting in the drivers room . Of course if only driving over that set amount of miles . Union as far as ABF , YRC , New Penn and Holland do not work the dock regardless of miles . I have heard UPS freight has just gone that route as well , but also heard some UPS freight guys do work the dock . I haven’t seen any to ask so not 100 % on what is going on st UPS

All the drivers I have talked with from the other carriers union and non union that don’t work the dock get paid their hourly rate while waiting for the loads whether it be napping in their truck or waiting in the drivers room . Of course if only driving over that set amount of miles . Union as far as ABF , YRC , New Penn and Holland do not work the dock regardless of miles . I have heard UPS freight has just gone that route as well , but also heard some UPS freight guys do work the dock . I haven’t seen any to ask so not 100 % on what is going on st UPS
I use to work at R@l and all routes had a set pay and you waited on your dime if the loads weren't done or your meet and turn driver was late

I use to work at R@l and all routes had a set pay and you waited on your dime if the loads weren't done or your meet and turn driver was late
So you were salary at R&L ? Depending on the run you took everyone got the same on that particular run , didn’t matter if you had to wait or not ? Do R&L linehaul drivers work the dock ?

I had heard that about R&L too- hard to believe, but I guess it's true. I can't imagine getting fixed pay for a peddle route.

I work for ups freight..we have what is called mini hub bids..dock work is involved..my run is 406 a night..
I also know of a guy that runs 600 miles a night he doesn't get on a lift but he chases down his freight so he can get out and headed home faster..oh yeah he's probably grossing $2500-2600 a week

I had heard that about R&L too- hard to believe, but I guess it's true. I can't imagine getting fixed pay for a peddle route.
P&D work is hourly at R&L . Some terminals have spotted trailers that a city guy may run a drop and hook for a flat rate. Many times you make more on the flat rate than you would doing it hourly. The drop and hooks are the only work a city guy might do that is not hourly. Linehaul runs pay a flat rate. Wait time is not paid unless it's breakdown pay.

Ha ha paid for waiting are you kidding i get ripped off at least ten hours a week