XPO | ARE WE THE ONLY MAJOR PLAYERS IN LTL THAT WORK THE DOCK?

They average 10 hours a day and the company cares more about the freight so if there is more to p/u they will pay the extra cost
Estes is a privately held company. There is no shareholders to answer to. They also don't have to release a P&L statement every quarter. I know that the owner sent his grandson to truck driving school to get his CDL and then had him work at different barns throughout the system to learn the business. The Estes barn near me sucked up a bunch of NEMF driver after they closed. This company has been operating under the radar for years. No one but the owner and a few other really know what there profit or loses are.

The way people keep quitting around here drivers don't work the dock much any more. We are way behind on getting yesterdays freight delivered and trying to cover the pick ups is a joke. So we get a lot more windshield time. Which, I ain't mad about.

We have 2 short runs one under and one just over 100 mile one way. So one way to make money is the dock time.
My run is 270 miles round trip, I work the dock average 4 hours a night. 9 to 10 hours per night. Our longer runs are a couple of hours dock time. To me it's a trade off getting to be home everyday is worth it. At least I am not at a motel on break not getting nothing for my time.

About the same for me. The nights on linehaul are not getting any shorter, that’s for sure. On the rare occasion that I get a short night on the dock, I take it. And quick.

The FAC is poorly run. They hold drivers because management don’t know what else to do. Top guys arguing to get out at the limit. Skipping lunches to make it back with minutes left on their 14. Meanwhile. The junior people won’t even show up for loads until it’s late. And then drag their feet to get to the FAC. And when they do get there. It’s straight to lunch. And after they do come out on the dock, next thing you look around and they are all out by the tractor line smoking. Zero fraks given. None. And I can’t even blame them. This is a miserable place to work. I’m surprised they even keep showing up. Everyone is hiring. Why even stay here ?

The FAC is poorly run. They hold drivers because management don’t know what else to do. Top guys arguing to get out at the limit. Skipping lunches to make it back with minutes left on their 14. Meanwhile. The junior people won’t even show up for loads until it’s late. And then drag their feet to get to the FAC. And when they do get there. It’s straight to lunch. And after they do come out on the dock, next thing you look around and they are all out by the tractor line smoking. Zero fraks given. None. And I can’t even blame them. This is a miserable place to work. I’m surprised they even keep showing up. Everyone is hiring. Why even stay here ?
While I agree with all your points, I’m just here for the paycheck. I try not to concern myself with what others are or aren’t doing. This is still the best gig in town for me personally, by far.
Other ltl’s are hiring, but you get a lot of lip service on miles etc. and that’s about it. Same circus. Different ringmaster. Just my opinion.

While I agree with all your points, I’m just here for the paycheck. I try not to concern myself with what others are or aren’t doing. This is still the best gig in town for me personally, by far.
Other ltl’s are hiring, but you get a lot of lip service on miles etc. and that’s about it. Same circus. Different ringmaster. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you. And if you have a spot you can tolerate. No point in giving it up.

What drives me nuts is that these people clearly don’t want to be here and make it worse on everyone else by staying.

At some point something has to change. Sometimes it’s on you to make that change.

I totally agree with you. And if you have a spot you can tolerate. No point in giving it up.

What drives me nuts is that these people clearly don’t want to be here and make it worse on everyone else by staying.

At some point something has to change. Sometimes it’s on you to make that change.

Man In The Mirror by Michael Jackson

Screenshot_20210824-134012_Shazam.md.jpg

The FAC is poorly run. They hold drivers because management don’t know what else to do. Top guys arguing to get out at the limit. Skipping lunches to make it back with minutes left on their 14.
<snip>
Therein lies the problem - skipping lunch to make it back before the 14. If those guys would just take their lunch as required, let the 14 hit, and then call dispatch to have another driver come out and rescue them, maybe somebody would notice and fix things. But doing what they're doing isn't helping remedy the situation.

Therein lies the problem - skipping lunch to make it back before the 14. If those guys would just take their lunch as required, let the 14 hit, and then call dispatch to have another driver come out and rescue them, maybe somebody would notice and fix things. But doing what they're doing isn't helping remedy the situation.

We don’t have enough drivers or tractors for rescues. They have gone very bad every time. You aren’t anyone’s priority sitting on the side of the road. The terminal considers it a line haul problem. Line haul wants the terminal to fetch its driver. We had a guy run out of time 4 miles from another terminal and the TM there flatly refused to pick the driver up. Not my driver. Not my freight. Not my problem. The numbers are so tight that they wouldn’t pull anyone off a peddle or delay a peddle to rescue a driver. If you aren’t going to make it back. Be prepared to lock the truck up and take an Uber somewhere. No one in the company gives a spit at all about you. You are on your own.