R&L | Attention city drivers!! New co. policy!!

Credits
There is a new company policy in place with regard to inside residential deliveries. That policy is no flight of steps is too large or too small.

Just ask the 3 guys in Baltimore about a certain situation they had with an big arcade machine.

As I understand the story, the first driver who delivered it got there and met the consignee, who informed the driver about the need for this thing to go down a flight of steps into his basement. The driver told him that the best he could do was the garage, since he did pay for an inside delivery. The driver then called his customer service people, who said "No more than 3 steps, up or down".

There were more than 3 steps, more like 8.

The consignee called the customer service people in Baltimore and raised hell. Quite a few people got to bickering back and forth here and then finally Baltimore's TM got involved, who informed the consignee that ZERO steps is the company policy, much to the consignee's displeasure.

The consignee signed for the freight, and then Baltimore's TM folded like a cheap accordion, sending 2 other drivers back later that night, to carry the thing into his basement.

Watch yourselves, people. You now have something else you have to deal with.

Man I'm surprised it took so long for the TM to get in the mix, at our barn the TM handles all the issues...I would never have entered the location were not equipped for that kind of move... Also where is the damage waiver.... Who's paying the claim for nicking the paint dirty carpet and the like... Thats a terrible position to put a driver in, since when did we become installers?

I will only go the extra mile if the customer is willing to help with thier own freight. The garage is usually the fartherest place for residential deliveries. Im not a mover...it says R&L Carriers, not ALLIED VAN LINES on my truck. Tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.

that was a good call by the driver though. what if he had damaged the freight by carrying it down the stairs? it would have been his ***! saia's inside delivery policy means inside your door, and if your door is up flights of stairs, then it's dropped at the most convient location for you to take it up the stairs yourself. of course, if the consignee was nice, offering help, physically unable, or bribed me...i would go the extra mile to make sure their freight is where they want it.

Customers

I Had A Customer 2 Wks Ago,called For Liftgate And Inside Del.went To 4th Floor With Pallet.dropped Pallet In Their Office Like They Wanted And Then They Wanted Me To Break It Down And Put In Another Room.i Told Them That There Would Be A Sort Seg Fee.they Refused That So I Left.those Idiots Called My Tm And Told Them That I Said I Would Do It For $150.i Did No Such Thing.i Do Whats On That Bill And No More.as Far As Tips No Way All I Need Is Customer Calling In And Saying He Gave Me Money And I Scratched His Paint.i Need A Job And Its Not Worth It

I think every tm is different and if the consignee is willing to help ost of our drivers will within reason. Company policy is inside the door, no steps, I checked on this today. Again each tm will make the call for his terminal to get the delivery done.

Well I think most of us are on this board to keep up with what goes on in the company. That is why I joined. There may be a few snitches but i have to believe that most of the people on here are drivers or dock. If there is management maybe they will listen to complaints. Look what happened in Denver!

Well I think most of us are on this board to keep up with what goes on in the company. That is why I joined. There may be a few snitches but i have to believe that most of the people on here are drivers or dock. If there is management maybe they will listen to complaints. Look what happened in Denver!

Well said !!!! I believe that most likely some upper management in Wilmington monitor these boards... Its a good way to get a suggestion out, or let others know what is going on in different areas of the country.. I believe the ones who do nothing but complain wouldn't be happy with any job, anywhere...:smilie_132: I for one am happy with my job here, if I wasn't I would go elsewhere...It could be alot worse, just look at some of the other carriers boards..

Sling Blade I think you are being excessive!
You state your location as HELL, what terminal is that??

No, that's not excessive. That's just the way the world works. Nice guys finsh last, and honest guys get screwed, unless they are union.

It's a damn shame you can't even take advantage of 401k's and credit unions and that sort of thing because you just never know if someone will decide to pull some funny business and change the rules whenever they decide it's convenient.

I don't trust these bastards here at all.

R+L may be a pretty good place to work NOW, but you never know about tomorrow.