XPO | Attn: Driving Instructors. I have a question about federally mandated LCV training

ScotchNeat

TB Veteran
Credits
Regarding what DOT calls "Long Combination Vehicles" or LCV. I recently got word that LCV training has to be completed by Feb 7 for drivers who pull LCV. According to the training certification form, LCV can apply to both triples as well as doubles. I'm going to start researching this today in order to figure out who exactly needs this training and what it entails. If any of you can shed some additional light on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Its not difficult.

The DOT leaves that up to individual companies.

Teamsters has a page on this.

With that said, there is or was a experiment to do Aussie Style Road Trains in the Dakotas, up to 5 semi trailers and 600,000 pounds.

Newbies do not get to pull LCV's This is a old hands game. Personally I carefully chose to game the system so I never had to worry about doing that. Essentially by never getting the endorsements in the then new CDL days on purpose among other things. It was a good move at that time because many LTL companies failed in my area and never came back because our yards were just too small. Sold off for the more profitable zoning land.

In the end the Insurance Companies and trucking companies agree who to use as trainers and who to stick into the LCV. There is no real teeth in DOT FMCSA etc. In short the industry regulates its own training on the job, carefully choosing those who have experience and excluding newbies.

Doubles are not lcv. Unless some state has some crazy small length limit. Every state is different. In North Dakota for example, brand new drivers can pull lcv. In canada, minimum 2 years experience and 150,000 verified miles are required before you can do the course.

I have fond memories of the Turnpike Doubles.

Two things strikes me.

Cars pull out to pass on left in rain. Pass one trailer and then move over not realizing there are two trailers. Surprise. Some storms I dont even know where my trailer is back there but as long as RPMs are consistent... Never mind two.

I had a few dollar tractors. Or thought I did taking them on in say Rochester in the hills. They would outrun me. I think the blame lies in the standard 10 speed slush box ranger. Company issued crap with tall gearing.

Doubles are not lcv. Unless some state has some crazy small length limit. Every state is different. In North Dakota for example, brand new drivers can pull lcv. In canada, minimum 2 years experience and 150,000 verified miles are required before you can do the course.
In NY, the Thruway doubles( 2 x 48') trailers must have a min of 5 years exp, doubles endorsement on lic for at least 6 months and then apply for an LCV permit thru the NY Thruway Authority, Then the company must train after all that. Tractors have to have certification and lead trailers also with your LCV number on them.

Regarding what DOT calls "Long Combination Vehicles" or LCV. I recently got word that LCV training has to be completed by Feb 7 for drivers who pull LCV. According to the training certification form, LCV can apply to both triples as well as doubles. I'm going to start researching this today in order to figure out who exactly needs this training and what it entails. If any of you can shed some additional light on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
triples or double long boxes

I have fond memories of the Turnpike Doubles.

Two things strikes me.

Cars pull out to pass on left in rain. Pass one trailer and then move over not realizing there are two trailers. Surprise. Some storms I dont even know where my trailer is back there but as long as RPMs are consistent... Never mind two.

I had a few dollar tractors. Or thought I did taking them on in say Rochester in the hills. They would outrun me. I think the blame lies in the standard 10 speed slush box ranger. Company issued crap with tall gearing.
Yeah on my way to 2 bills I saw them shoot 3 dogs in the slow lane . I could be wrong but it was a dollar for 2 then why 3 ? Pepper will be on the road soon .