Holland | August 2008 U.E. Change Of Operations

I will say it again. If your terminal loses zip codes to another terminal, should you follow your work? This is the same thing. The Road Drivers should and must follow their work. They are taking road work and moving it to the city. The Road Drivers should follow their work. No one in the city is being violated. That's how we got the horrible contract in the first place, to many people looking out for #1.

the change states that this change does not affect the local cartage operation ... the road should bid first ,,, then if any, the rest is filled by city..
beware road guys .... the 1st COO , the proposal stated the same as the current proposal but at the meeting our leaders sold them out by allowing city and road bid on the UE
THATS WHEN ROAD DRIVERS SIT AT HOME AND CITY GUYS WERE WORKING..
MASSIVE ROAD BIDS WERE CANCELED, MASSIVE LAYOFFS IN THE ROAD ...
THESE UE JOBS ARE CODED LH ....
UE DRIVERS SCAN THE COMPUTER TO SCAN IN - SCAN OUT ...PAY MANIFEST
EVERYTHING A ROAD DRIVER DOES ...
CONTACT YOUR BA AND PUT A STOP TO IT ..... B4 ITS TOO LATE
DONT LET YOUR LEADERS SELL YA OUT

If you guys read the coo it states on one page that this change will not go against NMFA. Next page it says road bids before city. That is not the contract we voted for or against, but it is the one that we are stuck with so lets stick the company to the rules that they put in front of us first, if we let them change this now what will they go for next (NO SENORITY). Remember they are the ones that are asking us to do this and they know exactly what is going on between road and city guys right now. So read the contract and follow what we have in writing and not what the company wants to change.

The contract that is in affect is not the contract we voted on. Yes or No.

In then end we really lost out in that they modified the contract and seniority without the members voting on it. I want everyone to be working and I even want them to be working in a position they like.
But I don't want to find out someday that someone who is a management favorite now has super seniority because he is going through a nasty divorce right now and needs a certain bid.
OK maybe not a great example but I am tired here and I had a bad day and come home to find my water is out:cuss:
But you get the idea. Just taking it to the extreme..

After that work is under local cartage (Jan 09) then senority prevails.Where does the line-haul driver violate the local mans senority ??
Where does it say that after Jan 09 that seniority prevails? To me it says it will be re-bid, just as it normally would every January and June (or is it July?), per the contract. If, at that point, the road gets to bid first again and the city gets the leftovers, thats when we (city) have a problem. This is due to the fact that UE work could be changed at any time to include or be mostly city work, as there are no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled. So road drivers should not get first pick from here on out, regardless of city seniority or a violation thereof.

the bid starts as soon as they bid the UE on the city board i don't understand why you guys keep bringing up (jan 09). the change will take affect sept 08 not jan 09. as soon as it goes through and it is posted for bid it will be a city bid, it's not road/UE until jan 09 it is UE under local cartage which is the city board.:poster_stupid:

I have no ideal what you guys are talking about? If you're awarded one of these 186 new UE bids you'll be on that bid until the next 6 or 12 month city bid. Thats all the January 2009 statement says. In other words here in LO our bids run from April 1 to October 1 to April 1... every 6 months we rebid. The 8 guys that get a new UE bid in LO will be on it until April 1, 2009. Now here's a thought, if there's a layoff this winter, who gets laid off? The junior ex-road UE man or the senior city man? Can the junior ex-road UE man be bumped or is he locked on the UE bid until April 1, 2009? I just try to keep you'll thinking. :stirthepot: What else will happen?

Is the UE Position a road or city bid? CITY
Is the UE Position in the Road or City Classification? CITY
Can a city man from Lo follow city work to another terminal? YES
Can a road man from LO follow road work to another terminal? YES
Can a city man from LO follow road work to another terminal? NO
Can a road man from LO follow city work to another terminal? NO

So why does anybody think that a road man should be able to follow work out of his classification at his own terminal? BECAUSE ITS TO THEIR ADVANTAGE

Nobody has ever been able to go from one classification to another without going to the bottom of the other board. Now we're supposed to say "OK" to allowing someone, from another classification, to bid first on a job in our own classification? NO WAY!

Lets see what you think about this question.

What if, after this COO, the road men aren't allowed to bid on the UE position any longer. They say from now on the UE bid will be taken from the city board only. The only chance a road board person has is to crossover to the city if they get a chance to cross.

Would this be fair? NO

Would the road men be upset? YES

Would they have a right to be upset? YES

How about this, each terminal has a vote as to what to do?

A. Combine both city and road boards together in to one board.

B. Keep the boards separate and allow the UE position to be bid by seniority from each board.

C. Since the UE bid is city work, the bid will be filled by a current city board employee's only.

D. There will be a separate UE board, with recall rights to your previous board, if you loose your UE position by bid or bump and roll during a layoff.

I vote, D, but thats just me. What do you think?

I have no ideal what you guys are talking about? If you're awarded one of these 186 new UE bids you'll be on that bid until the next 6 or 12 month city bid. Thats all the January 2009 statement says. In other words here in LO our bids run from April 1 to October 1 to April 1... every 6 months we rebid. The 8 guys that get a new UE bid in LO will be on it until April 1, 2009. Now here's a thought, if there's a layoff this winter, who gets laid off? The junior ex-road UE man or the senior city man? Can the junior ex-road UE man be bumped or is he locked on the UE bid until April 1, 2009? I just try to keep you'll thinking. :stirthepot: What else will happen?
That's what is meant when everyone is saying Jan 09. They can't be bumped by senior men until then. Effectively making it a road bid until then unless they don't fill all the positions with road men. And even then a senior road man cannot bump inot the position either.

If you guys read the coo it states on one page that this change will not go against NMFA. Next page it says road bids before city. That is not the contract we voted for or against, but it is the one that we are stuck with so lets stick the company to the rules that they put in front of us first, if we let them change this now what will they go for next (NO SENORITY). Remember they are the ones that are asking us to do this and they know exactly what is going on between road and city guys right now. So read the contract and follow what we have in writing and not what the company wants to change.
Exactly! We voted for a contract. (67% did anyway) Now live with it. Neither the company OR the union should be able to change it. We voted this :horse: in so we can live with it. Maybe next time people will understand or pay attention to what they are voting on. These gray areas were discussed before the vote, and nobody would listen. It PASSED! ENJOY! I hear a lot of people complaining about the contract now, but, I never hear anyone that voted yes admit that it was a bad decision of theirs. Hopefully we learn our lesson.:hide:

So why does anybody think that a road man should be able to follow work out of his classification at his own terminal? BECAUSE ITS TO THEIR ADVANTAGE

Nobody has ever been able to go from one classification to another without going to the bottom of the other board. Now we're supposed to say "OK" to allowing someone, from another classification, to bid first on a job in our own classification? NO WAY!

What if, after this COO, the road men aren't allowed to bid on the UE position any longer. They say from now on the UE bid will be taken from the city board only. The only chance a road board person has is to crossover to the city if they get a chance to cross.

Would this be fair? NO

B. Keep the boards separate and allow the UE position to be bid by seniority from each board.

C. Since the UE bid is city work, the bid will be filled by a current city board employee's only.

D. There will be a separate UE board, with recall rights to your previous board, if you loose your UE position by bid or bump and roll during a layoff.

I don't have a problem with D either. However, the CONTRACT that was VOTED in supports letter B ONLY. Yes, B ONLY. B is what is in the contract. How can a contract that was voted in, be changed so easily? It shouldn't be changed at all. :hide: Try to go to your lender and see if you can CHANGE your CONTRACT with them also, and not lose your butt.

Do you think there will be a road board in three yrs -- NO
Has following work to another classification ever been done--NO
Has work ever been changed to another classification ---NO
Has taking frt from one terminal to another ever been done by local cartage before ? --Not legally.
I'm sorry but when a large number of our bids are about to disappear and be handed to the local cartage (work they have never done before) I won't sit by and have senior men kicked to the curb and eventually be ran by junior men.I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't have a problem with D either. However, the CONTRACT that was VOTED in supports letter B ONLY. Yes, B ONLY. B is what is in the contract. How can a contract that was voted in, be changed so easily? It shouldn't be changed at all. :hide: Try to go to your lender and see if you can CHANGE your CONTRACT with them also, and not lose your butt.

All I can say is wow. Some of you could not care less about your brothers. If anyone in the city wants this job they can have it at the next bid. All some of you want, is for the city and road to bid at the same time. This way a twenty-year city man can take the UE job, bid off of it at the next bid. Then he can take the UE job at the next COO. The Road Drivers can stand in the soup line. You can argue all you want and talk about fairness and seniority, the bottom line is, regardless of the contract, UE work came from road work. I thought most people voted yes because they were mislead or just not that bright. Now that there is a chance for everyone to be reasonable, I see most of my Brothers a just plain selfish.

Where does it say that after Jan 09 that seniority prevails? To me it says it will be re-bid, just as it normally would every January and June (or is it July?), per the contract. If, at that point, the road gets to bid first again and the city gets the leftovers, thats when we (city) have a problem. This is due to the fact that UE work could be changed at any time to include or be mostly city work, as there are no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled. So road drivers should not get first pick from here on out, regardless of city seniority or a violation thereof.

On page 5 of 14 under bidding it says "Employees awarded such bids will remain on the bid until January 2009,after that they will bid on next annual or semi-annual bid provided in the supplement."
This is only being offered because it is the road from which this work is being taken and too assist in keeping senior local cartage from blocking line-haul from coming over with their senority .
I did't vote for this mess .

All I can say is wow. Some of you could not care less about your brothers. If anyone in the city wants this job they can have it at the next bid. All some of you want, is for the city and road to bid at the same time. This way a twenty-year city man can take the UE job, bid off of it at the next bid. Then he can take the UE job at the next COO. The Road Drivers can stand in the soup line. You can argue all you want and talk about fairness and seniority, the bottom line is, regardless of the contract, UE work came from road work. I thought most people voted yes because they were mislead or just not that bright. Now that there is a chance for everyone to be reasonable, I see most of my Brothers a just plain selfish.

:clap::clap:Thank you, Like I have said, I would only want to bid on UE if my job depended on it. And if I did get one I would want to stay on it not go to a "city" bid. Road drivers stand to get hung out on this deal. Oh well, I guess I wont lose any sleep over it, just see what happens.

:clap::clap:Thank you, Like I have said, I would only want to bid on UE if my job depended on it. And if I did get one I would want to stay on it not go to a "city" bid. Road drivers stand to get hung out on this deal. Oh well, I guess I wont lose any sleep over it, just see what happens.

Well said. I agree.

yellows coo reads that a ue man cannot be outbidded until 1-1-09 or next city bid, but also states that in the event of a lay off......lay offs will go in seniority order. So I would have to say the junior ex road now ue would be laid off first

Benny hill I would vote for A....one board!!!...The good part is this would end all the seniority arguments....The bad part is we wouldnt have anything to complain about on here.

Would this be fair? NO

Our Tm said the reason this COO was put on hold from first time is that company thought they could add to terminals that allready had U/E but union said no and they have to file for COO every time a U/E is added. So line haul can bid on U/E every time a new U/E is added.