FedEx Freight | August 2009 we shall never forget

Clandestine_ice

TB Veteran
Credits
Or have we.... If all you forum veterans recall it all began in Dec 2008 and if memory serves, the second mass firing came in March. And for all of us who thought we escaped the slaughter, the final mass firing ax came down a year ago this month.

Ironically freight levels are wayyyyy down on both the national and freight side and bid guys and extra board are sitting home at my crib.

History has an ugly way of repeating itself. I haven't been
thrown over the bus yet this time
around but I personally know after
losing my home last year due to that BS that everyday I have to wonder if this is the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Here

I keep hearing we are slow ???? ..... Here we are busier than a one legged man in a foot race, and have been.

Not us. It's up and down. Most of our problems seem to come from late arriving PT units. I mean, you can't expect them to drive with the sun up!

Or have we.... If all you forum veterans recall it all began in Dec 2008 and if memory serves, the second mass firing came in March. And for all of us who thought we escaped the slaughter, the final mass firing ax came down a year ago this month.

Ironically freight levels are wayyyyy down on both the national and freight side and bid guys and extra board are sitting home at my crib.

They must be re-routing freight. That's all I can come up with. We haven't seen "slowdown" of any kind in 5 months. :biggrin:

I don't think "Slow" would be accurate here in my neck of the woods. We have been slammed for about a year and the past 30 days or so we have dropped off about 150,000lbs and 100 bills/day. Add to that the fact that we have added boatloads of new drivers to our linehaul and city operations and I get to work 40 hrs/week now instead of 60...its almost like a normal job.

If we just consider the recent rate increase, our 8 month hiring binge, our volatile(at best) consumer confidence, and regular freight cycles, it all makes sense. Change is normal, panic is optional.

I don't think "Slow" would be accurate here in my neck of the woods. We have been slammed for about a year and the past 30 days or so we have dropped off about 150,000lbs and 100 bills/day. Add to that the fact that we have added boatloads of new drivers to our linehaul and city operations and I get to work 40 hrs/week now instead of 60...its almost like a normal job.

If we just consider the recent rate increase, our 8 month hiring binge, our volatile(at best) consumer confidence, and regular freight cycles, it all makes sense. Change is normal, panic is optional.

History shows that August is our busiest part of the year. Used to be lots of OT. Guys couldn't wait until December so they could get their lives back. Now, at least at this barn, the bill count is down, and we've hired several local drivers and line drivers. (It will ALWAYS be LINE not road)

I don't think anyone is panicking. But they did raise rates and really raised them on long freight. (We don't want long freight anymore. Even though we have the tools to move it, and used to know how, no one uses the tools anymore because it takes too much time. Instead, we damage it as quickly as possible...)

I've seen some very good accounts go away because of pricing and charges.

seems to me Missouri ... and New York are a long way apart .. must be some good buddies talking to each other ..the part of Missouri I see is hammered ..