SAIA | August raise

They asking for volunteers every weekend. You can write your own check. Work is definitely there.
That’s good ,But nothing lasts forever.There operating ratio is good .And most likely will stay that until the labor costs go up..When the freight slows down and it most definitely will .So does your hours and overtime.Why would they pay you 51.00 in overtime when a 4 hour casual is a third of the cost.Stuff your pockets now .In this industry .Nothing last long.

That’s good ,But nothing lasts forever.There operating ratio is good .And most likely will stay that until the labor costs go up..When the freight slows down and it most definitely will .So does your hours and overtime.Why would they pay you 51.00 in overtime when a 4 hour casual is a third of the cost.Stuff your pockets now .In this industry .Nothing last long.
Been here over 20 years, I have never had a problem with getting o.t.

What's a 4 hour casual

In the previous big economic boom, c. 2008, once the bottom fell out, Saia had a massive layoff. My advice to those that are still employed at Saia is to make as much money as you can now and save/invest it. Because the economy (at some point) is due for a natural correction, and Saia will defend their bottom line above all else, people included. There is a lot of money in the economy right now, and people/businesses are willing to spend. But long term economics says that there is a limit to everything. Invest wisely and hope you get the bad news later rather than sooner.

In the previous big economic boom, c. 2008, once the bottom fell out, Saia had a massive layoff. My advice to those that are still employed at Saia is to make as much money as you can now and save/invest it. Because the economy (at some point) is due for a natural correction, and Saia will defend their bottom line above all else, people included. There is a lot of money in the economy right now, and people/businesses are willing to spend. But long term economics says that there is a limit to everything. Invest wisely and hope you get the bad news later rather than sooner.
Take anything out of this posters mouth with a grain of salt. Evidentially they had an issue with SAIA in the past and would complain and tell you how bad it is if they doubled pay and vacation time.

Here are some facts. Every carrier had layoffs around 2008. Best advice I ever got when I first got into the industry was act like a squirrel and put up nuts in the good times because hard times come and freight slows down.

Another fact. SAIA handles lay-offs totally different than 95% of companies out there. They do not go by seniority. Sounds bad on the surface but their system goes by attendance, disciplinary issues, safety, etc. If you get laid off at SAIA you have other issues that you caused in most situations. Y'all can answer for yourself but who should be let go in a layoff? A driver that been there two years with a great record, attitude, and always comes to work or a 10 year guy who is good for a call in once a month and works the points system, has a couple of accidents, and has a history of misdeliveries in the city?

Another fact. SAIA handles lay-offs totally different than 95% of companies out there. They do not go by seniority. Sounds bad on the surface but their system goes by attendance, disciplinary issues, safety, etc. If you get laid off at SAIA you have other issues that you caused in most situations. Y'all can answer for yourself but who should be let go in a layoff? A driver that been there two years with a great record, attitude, and always comes to work or a 10 year guy who is good for a call in once a month and works the points system, has a couple of accidents, and has a history of misdeliveries in the city?
Absolutely true…. Is it fair? I’m not here to judge. Don’t care anymore because I retired from SAIA. I loved SAIA….. Still have many friends that are still employed by SAIA. I will say if you can play by SAIA’s rules you can’t find a better LTL outfit. If you can’t you’d be better off at Yellow or ABF or one of the unionized carriers. IJS!

Take anything out of this posters mouth with a grain of salt. Evidentially they had an issue with SAIA in the past and would complain and tell you how bad it is if they doubled pay and vacation time.

Here are some facts. Every carrier had layoffs around 2008. Best advice I ever got when I first got into the industry was act like a squirrel and put up nuts in the good times because hard times come and freight slows down.

Your statements are not true, based on my experience. Layoffs were solely from a standpoint of seniority. As a matter of fact, I still have that document. Part of my "pitch" as to why this wasn't merited IMO is that said document was contained language that was along the lines of a union carrier (which Saia always preached that the union was unnecessary). The point of all of this is that the company is focused on management at all levels, and could not care less about drivers/dock workers. Upper management especially sees those "minions" as easily replaced or retained simply by sweetening the pot. Have you seen upper management's total compensation???

Maybe not paint with such a broad brush. Clearly things are different terminal to terminal. I've been a dock worker and a driver through out my years at Saia and seen layoffs on both sides. Each time employees were let go, some had more and some had less seniority than me. However the one thing they did have in common was poor attendance. I can only speak for my terminal though. I come in on time, do my job, don't worry about the things out of my control, and never had a problem with the company. But its not my personality to look for things to complain about.

Maybe not paint with such a broad brush. Clearly things are different terminal to terminal. I've been a dock worker and a driver through out my years at Saia and seen layoffs on both sides. Each time employees were let go, some had more and some had less seniority than me. However the one thing they did have in common was poor attendance. I can only speak for my terminal though. I come in on time, do my job, don't worry about the things out of my control, and never had a problem with the company. But its not my personality to look for things to complain about.
Excellent points, and I appreciate your thoughts. There really isn't a lot of continuity from terminal to terminal. One thing that comes to mind was the tobacco policy; one terminal might strictly prohibit, the next the TM is walking around on the dock with a chew in his mouth. Kinda sends a mixed message, doesn't it? An inconsistent message/policy is no policy at all.