ABF | Aurora/oswego (illinois) P&d/dock

Slayerfan84

TB Lurker
Credits
Any opinion on this position as far as getting hours, layoff potential, and size of this barn. I haven't visited yet. I just applied online. What shift would you start on here? How long until insurance coverage generally? Thank you for any help.

Also, coming from a union "open board" ltl company and looking to just get more home time by going city. ABF is superior to this company in most people's view.

Any opinion on this position as far as getting hours, layoff potential, and size of this barn. I haven't visited yet. I just applied online. What shift would you start on here? How long until insurance coverage generally? Thank you for any help.

Also, coming from a union "open board" ltl company and looking to just get more home time by going city. ABF is superior to this company in most people's view.

Good Luck, Brother.....I don't know a thing about Aurora/Oswego Ill........
And ...saying that,...I'll guess nighttime dock....

Insurance usually starts in the third month after you make seniority. Most insurance is based on an hourly qualifier....for instance, 80 hours a month to qualify in W. Penna. Each Joint Council area has their own qualifiers for pension/healthcare......

But, generally,...it's an hourly total per month.

The way it works....First month on seniority/qualified hours.....second month to "clear process"...third month,...health insurance.

You're Union, though,....and you probably know most of this....Hopefully, someone from Illinois will respond at least with an idea of how large or small the terminal is......

Good Luck, Brother.....I don't know a thing about Aurora/Oswego Ill........
And ...saying that,...I'll guess nighttime dock....

Insurance usually starts in the third month after you make seniority. Most insurance is based on an hourly qualifier....for instance, 80 hours a month to qualify in W. Penna. Each Joint Council area has their own qualifiers for pension/healthcare......

But, generally,...it's an hourly total per month.

The way it works....First month on seniority/qualified hours.....second month to "clear process"...third month,...health insurance.

You're Union, though,....and you probably know most of this....Hopefully, someone from Illinois will respond at least with an idea of how large or small the terminal is......
About 40 doors, located just off US 30, next to Sam’s Club cross dock.

Thank you all for your responses. I apologize on being late as I don't check the site often.

I had an interview about 2 weeks ago. Background check kicked off about 3 days prior to the interview. I haven't heard anything yet which the TM told me is a good thing.

Hopefully the waiting game isn't too much longer.

Does anyone know the typical length of time the background check takes while in the hiring process? The TM said 2 to 4 weeks. I've heard through an ex driver 7 weeks. Thank you for any info.

Does anyone know the typical length of time the background check takes while in the hiring process? The TM said 2 to 4 weeks. I've heard through an ex driver 7 weeks. Thank you for any info.
When I got hired I worked for 3 months as a casual. A week before I got on full time they called and said I had to come up with someone to verify I worked for a company that had been out of business for 10 years or better. Told them to fire me. Was full time the next week thank god. They are relentless for sure.

When I got hired I worked for 3 months as a casual. A week before I got on full time they called and said I had to come up with someone to verify I worked for a company that had been out of business for 10 years or better. Told them to fire me. Was full time the next week thank god. They are relentless for sure.

It will be 4 weeks this Friday since I put in my SS# on the website to kick off the background check. I haven't heard anything since. Which may be a good thing? I think my current company is purposely dragging my feet on this. I know they have 30 days to verify employment. I think they are waiting till day 30.

It will be 4 weeks this Friday since I put in my SS# on the website to kick off the background check. I haven't heard anything since. Which may be a good thing? I think my current company is purposely dragging my feet on this. I know they have 30 days to verify employment. I think they are waiting till day 30.
As slow as we are right now they could be holding up on hiring. I got expedited and it still took two weeks to get put to work.

As slow as we are right now they could be holding up on hiring. I got expedited and it still took two weeks to get put to work.
I don't understand the purpose of interviewing someone 3 weeks ago if they are dragging their feet based on business being slow. You would think they wouldn't have wasted their time.

I don't understand the purpose of interviewing someone 3 weeks ago if they are dragging their feet based on business being slow. You would think they wouldn't have wasted their time.
It’s the ABF way. They generally hire road drivers rite up to when they start laying off. Doesn’t make sense, I know, but seems to be the way they do things. Hope it works out. I got hired at a terminal in a slow period and haven’t missed a day sense. Good luck to ya.

It’s the ABF way. They generally hire road drivers rite up to when they start laying off. Doesn’t make sense, I know, but seems to be the way they do things. Hope it works out. I got hired at a terminal in a slow period and haven’t missed a day sense. Good luck to ya.

There's a plaque on the wall in the Corporate boardroom in Ft. Smith that spells out their Corporate philosophy:

"When in Danger, or in Doubt........Run in Circles, Scream and Shout..."

Keep that in mind , and many of their Corporate decisions become transparent.........

There's a plaque on the wall in the Corporate boardroom in Ft. Smith that spells out their Corporate philosophy:

"When in Danger, or in Doubt........Run in Circles, Scream and Shout..."

Keep that in mind , and many of their Corporate decisions become transparent.........
LOL! I just pictured Judy adjusting the plaque every morning with a little adoring smile on her face.

Is the pension solid here at this terminal? Is it through "Suburban Teamsters of Northern Illinois."

I ask because I left Holland a for another company to be a local driver. This company is in local 710 but does not have a pension (employer paid 3% matched 401k), insurance costs me about 100.00 per week for my family (employer paid), and the job pays well below even Holland's city driver full scale.

I just don't know if making another move to ABF would be worth it. Putting my family through another probation period and training is not easy to do, unless the future would be much brighter.

Thank you for any advice or help

*this bump is because the TM has contacted me today. That's 2 1/2 months after our in person interview.

Is the pension solid here at this terminal? Is it through "Suburban Teamsters of Northern Illinois."

I ask because I left Holland a for another company to be a local driver. This company is in local 710 but does not have a pension (employer paid 3% matched 401k), insurance costs me about 100.00 per week for my family (employer paid), and the job pays well below even Holland's city driver full scale.

I just don't know if making another move to ABF would be worth it. Putting my family through another probation period and training is not easy to do, unless the future would be much brighter.

Thank you for any advice or help

*this bump is because the TM has contacted me today. That's 2 1/2 months after our in person interview.
Might be worth it. ABF’s contribution rate to the Teamsters Pension is around $8/hour (includes the PEER contribution). Family medical premium is 100% paid by the company, and is fairly good insurance (plans vary depending on where you are). Your insurance will kick in on the 1st day of the month following your first two months of employment. I retired from ABF under the 2013-2018 CBA...things might have changed a bit. The union hall should have all the current info on the ABF contract. Good luck, brother!