XPO | Auto shut off

Anyway to bypass the three minute auto shut off during the winter?
I've noticed that if it's below a certain temperature ( when first started up ) light duty M2 p&d tractors will run longer.

These units used to be able to idle for roughly 120 minutes ( I think that was the limit ) which was for the different regeneration emissions equipment that they have. Disabling their idle seems to be harmful to their correct operation.

Cost lots more money to have to remove the filter and clean it versus allowing driver to idle long enough to heat up and clean itself.

But who wants a driver to have control of their own vehicle? That would be ridiculous.

I've noticed that if it's below a certain temperature ( when first started up ) light duty M2 p&d tractors will run longer.

These units used to be able to idle for roughly 120 minutes ( I think that was the limit ) which was for the different regeneration emissions equipment that they have. Disabling their idle seems to be harmful to their correct operation.

Cost lots more money to have to remove the filter and clean it versus allowing driver to idle long enough to heat up and clean itself.

But who wants a driver to have control of their own vehicle? That would be ridiculous.
Got stuck in a four hour shut down on the highway the other day. Ice. Had to take the next day off because I had blisters on my right foot from hitting the pedal every three minutes to keep the tractor running lol

Got stuck in a four hour shut down on the highway the other day. Ice. Had to take the next day off because I had blisters on my right foot from hitting the pedal every three minutes to keep the tractor running lol
A simple solution: Do like car manufacturers have done and use a seatbelt sensor or a pressure switch in the seat that allows the tractor to idle.

The irony is I've seen XPO spend tens of thousands of dollars on making sure the HVAC is running top notch for people in the office. They are never uncomfortable.

Sometimes the A/C is so cold in the summer they have coats on. In the winter , you could have their child hostage on the dock and they STILL wouldn't come out of the toasty warm office to do anything.

Sometimes I wonder.

I had a incident once where the ECM was bricked but in those early days the engine simply defaulted to running as it was without it. Only you knew not to shut it off.

Unfortunately if you were to have a bricked ECM in today's trucks with all the other crap in them I dont think you will have a engine anymore. That was one of the reasons I am happy to be out of the industry. If they wanted to control costs in fuel, they can drive them things in -10 themselves.

If a trucking fleet started suffering a rash of say high dollar ECM's by the dozen or hundreds it will negative whatever fuel idle savings they were going for along with the losses in freight.

Shouldn't be surprising coming from the same company that purchased trucks without a/c or radios or even fuel gauges. This is just another reminder, they couldn't care less about your safety (much less your comfort) if it costs them a single red cent more in operating expense.

The biggest slap in the face was when they reprogrammed the ESL trucks to not idle. Nothing screams safety like forcing the guy in sleeper berth to be subjected to a sweat-box in the summer time and the deep freezer that is a Freightliner sleeper compartment in the winter time.

Shouldn't be surprising coming from the same company that purchased trucks without a/c or radios or even fuel gauges. This is just another reminder, they couldn't care less about your safety (much less your comfort) if it costs them a single red cent more in operating expense.

The biggest slap in the face was when they reprogrammed the ESL trucks to not idle. Nothing screams safety like forcing the guy in sleeper berth to be subjected to a sweat-box in the summer time and the deep freezer that is a Freightliner sleeper compartment in the winter time.
Remember the time they took all the ashtrays out I Dropped my glasses in the hole one day. Had to use a crowbar to rip the bottom of the doghouse off. I could not see The screws without my glasses on.

Last edited:
I was deeply offended by the removal of the gauges. With enough of them you could understand a problem somewhere before it really got to be a problem.

I had a AC fail in the berth over night. Went to be in the mid 90's similar humidity etc. Woke up at a little after sunrise in really bad shape. It was approximately 155 or so in there. The AC compressor failed in the night of all things. The sun did the rest through the window. Took about 14 hours at the counter and sipping 5 gallons of house sweet tea before I had kidneys working again.

Dispatch made a great storm about being late. I hit them with a 1500 dollar AC replacement bill. They had to pay it.

Those old ashtrays were the best.

By the way I taped a paperclip to a drum stick and jammed it in the outlet in the computer lab once , everyone got to leave early that day , except me . Did you still want me to tell you how yo hack that truck to keep it running Brother ?
Was the chicken alive when you taped the paperclip to his leg? (just curious)

A warning about Dry ice. Its about -110. You cannot and must never touch the stuff with your skin unprotected. You will lose that part of the body. It will take a long time to evaporate the dry ice. You can get the stuff at any grocery store etc.

Another problem with dry ice is it will accumulate fumes and then try to kill you in the cab at some point as it evaporates.

It might be a while before the shop wonders about the localized sensor damage from excessive cold.

Don't hold it especially if your hands are wet . But you can touch it briefly in the pellet form , block is too cold . It does give off carbon dioxide as it evaporates . We get fish from Alaska packed in dry ice all the time and I show my grandson how to make smoke in a dish with hot water , it's fun science stuff . Gerard Smokestack used it in the band with a old very large coffee pot and a small fan and hose to make fog on the stage back in the day but you did not want it to exit by the electrical stuff since there would be moisture . It's fun ! Best story ever was the day my brother in law had a Halloween party at his house and the dope thought he was going to be funny by dumping the supply cooler into his toilet . Then I told him it was going to crack the toilet and pipes and how funny that is going to be , it was to the tune of $750 , laughed my ass off big dummy :duh:

:hilarious:<Smokestack told ya not to do that Big Dummy !

Ohhh and my answer for that is , Ahhhh I don't know .

That's the same one management always used , so it
works for me :2437:
I'd like to b###h and moan about that too. But after years of complaining fxf finally got it right. Setting the trucks to run at 34 degrees or colder .The bigger problem was in the summer waiting at the meet point in the desert in CA. 108 degrees at 130 am . And now you have to wait for 3 hours. Took years for that to get fixed. Now they run at 90 degrees. And have been at a truck stop meet when the temp at 2 in the afternoon was 128 degrees. But that is only in our little corner of the world.