ODFL | Auto vs 10 Speed

SlowIsSmooth

TB Lurker
Credits
Just seen two new autos at our yard. Hope to see more in the coming years. Been at OD for about a year. Before this I drove autos for 2 years or so. I miss them so much. Why do all the old geezers love their 10 speeds so much? I don't get it especially when they're linehaul. 95 percent of the time we're in 10th gear anyways

If you have been with OD for any length of time they taught progressive shifting for saving fuel. That all goes out the window with an automatic. From what i have heard and being very clear that this hearsay Freightliner is offering the automatic transmission cheaper than the manual since OD is one of the last fleets still using manuals.

If you have been with OD for any length of time they taught progressive shifting for saving fuel. That all goes out the window with an automatic. From what i have heard and being very clear that this hearsay Freightliner is offering the automatic transmission cheaper than the manual since OD is one of the last fleets still using manuals.
We at New Penn have automatic Volvos. We were told they are averaging over 12 miles per gallon compared to 6 or 7 for standards. Per vice president of management

My understanding is manuals cost more than the Auto’s now.

i am pretty sure od will disable performance mode so we'll be stuck with eco mode and that ::shit:: loves to freewheel down any little hill that way od will increase their mpg rating

We started out with Petes 2 yrs ago, they were horrible. A lot of hesitation when stopped on a hill. They would roll back a bit. The VOLVOS are with no hesitation, a much better, nice smooth ride

I had a fairly good automatic with FFE in 2000 to 2001. A rockwell meritor paddle 9 speed. It was a good mountain truck which was all we did in all weather due to it's manual mode M in addition to the PRND and L. Once in M that transmission WILL stay in gear regardless of engine RPM or tear itself out trying.

I worked with newer autos up to 2010 and that was the last of them as a crew boss part time. After renting cars like the 2020 santafe with the eco mode that kills the engine at every light and a transmission that would not stay in gear for anything plus cameras and computer alarms for everything out the wazoo ruined it for me.

The cherry on top? That forward radar for speed on the highway and collision.

I will never, ever. have a vehicle with that much ::shit:: aboard. Never. I hold on to my old mid 90's beast. It has a couple of old solid state hardware computers that mixes fuel and takes care of the shifting unless its in 4x4 low. And thats it. Nothing newer.

Same with the big rigs. Anything after 2001 without a manual mode is no good. Anything 18 wheeler with a radar or computer anything is no good. 2001 was bad enough but you still determined as a human the bigger stuff.

The final straw for one computer truck was a volvo a 2006 model that had some sort of fancy transmission in it. Finally got it moving. Sorta. Hit a tiny ice spot near the barn where we were going and she just broke loose then dropped out of gear. Interlock was no go. Spun three of the drives and refused the one that did not spin. I had to get another older driver to knock me off that ice patch. My boss did not like seeing that. He raised holy hell.

A little tire to tire bumper trucks dont hurt none.

I hope that America will wake up one day being sorry we all automated the big trucks. They wont have anything to eat now until spring due to Wyoming being iced in.

Just seen two new autos at our yard. Hope to see more in the coming years. Been at OD for about a year. Before this I drove autos for 2 years or so. I miss them so much. Why do all the old geezers love their 10 speeds so much? I don't get it especially when they're linehaul. 95 percent of the time we're in 10th gear anyways
Part of the reason some companies go all automatic is that many of these young social media addicts, are not smart enough to learn to drive a manual too.