ODFL | Auto vs 10 Speed

While that may be true, I suspect the reason is autos are more fuel efficient.
I did put in a ticket # to Patel Research also on that subject, Ted, so we can post the findings on here. Maybe we might know something by this weekend.

And in a Manual on snow or ice depending on the nature of the situation you could be outside your RPM range and stay there keeping it moving. Low or top.

I have had that Rockwell auto and when wife had her proper tractor jackknife on a inch of new ice on a upgrade curve all we had her do is turn the wheel just a couple of inches to bite the drives back in and make absolutely no other inputs to the engine.

Transmission followed the tractor down as the speed came off her. We fell down from 20 to 8 and crawled out in whatever gear that auto had picked once the drives bit.

Number two did the same thing.

I had a policy of putting virgin rubber on the tractors about October of every year for the coming of winter and FFE had put on something like 6000 dollars in the 10 tire set and griped about it just the previous week.

Thsoe drives biting when they did kept us out of the canyon that we were falling into by gravity. So 6000 dollars was cheap.

We were 8 that morning. 4 fell into that canyon and were total losses. One was a TMC flat using his power as the whole thing slide backwards straight into the hole. He did good. He was I think number four. But two three and seven and eight came out. The rest went into the hole piled in there.

Some years later the TennDOT had eliminated the old interstate alignment and canyon there. It no longer exists. Thankfully so there is no more of that.