ABF | Automatic Transmissions.

International used a lot of Browne/Lipe auxillary transmissions with a 5 speed main transmission. Saw a lot of them in dump trucks. Having the extra low gears helped start the load moving when in off road conditions.

So did Autocar, Mack, Brown and Corbit back in the 50s, most were 3 spd.
One company had a 46 Chev. 270 GMC engine, 4 spd main, 3spd B&L, full air brakes, ran from Charl to Akron O.

I just don't see how you could drive with 2 gear sticks.
I guess the truck has 2 clutches, now I know what truckers mean when they say double clutching.

You put the main box gear in 1st the Brownie in 1st start out and shift the brownie through the gears. when you top out in 4th gear in the brownie you shift the main box to 2nd and the brownie to 1first and go through the gears. and so on

You put the main box gear in 1st the Brownie in 1st start out and shift the brownie through the gears. when you top out in 4th gear in the brownie you shift the main box to 2nd and the brownie to 1first and go through the gears. and so on

All us old-time drivers have that arcane knowledge of what that ...forest...of sticks coming up out of the floorboards mean. Each one produces a different grinding noise........

Really confuse a newbie driver by putting him in a truck with one stick, but a big, shiny, chrome knob, with a little red button on the side...and a bigger one halfway down the stick........and tell him it's an odd number of gears.......

Nice to know that in the next few years,....those of us who actually know why the truck has two "brake" pedals.....and how to move that bunch of sticks with minimal grinding..........are going to slide into history,....like the organ grinder,...or the ice delivery man.....

After 41 years,...and an excess of 3,500,000 miles,....I know why my left shoulder cracks and groans when I move it.......

Just glad ours were hydramatic, when I started driving, didn't have to learn all those complicated moves.