ABF | Automatic Transmissions.

Remember the first time you tried to start a Roadway tractor with an air start, and both brake buttons weren't set?

Which I don't but I remember the time I couldn't get the tractor and trailer to move because the brake lever on the steering column was all the way down.
That's because you can get the old Detroit 2 strokes to run backwards hence 10 reverse , mostly when they would stall out and lurch back they would start running backwards, heck of a lot of smoke coming out from under the tractor fun times.Also loved the air starts with NO muffler on them you could scare the heck out of people at a stoplight

And I'll bet while holding those reins,...he was worried about straight-pipe exhaust from all that horsepower in front of him.........

You win that bet Canary, our mule "Cletus" had a tuned exhaust.
When getting back to the barn in the evening, you asked him, how many oats he wanted, he lifted his tail and said
"a fewwww"

I have nothing BUT respect for any and all who have survived this truckin’ life and continue to draw checks, enjoying the the retirement so richly deserved.
El, nice of you to say, but I think when the next generation comes around, they will discover todays modern
trucker had things hard as we did in the old days, just maybe with more comfort.

Before I was going to take my road test at Roadway, I called one of my friends back in Michigan and asked him how to shift a ten speed transmission. He had been to truck driving school.

Before I was going to take my road test at Roadway, I called one of my friends back in Michigan and asked him how to shift a ten speed transmission. He had been to truck driving school.

I saw my first 10 spd Fuller R.R. in a new RDF405 IHC leased to Roadway, in 53 or 54, I couldn't believe 10 gears
on 1 stick.
Every thing had the Brown & Lipe in those days.

That's because you can get the old Detroit 2 strokes to run backwards hence 10 reverse , mostly when they would stall out and lurch back they would start running backwards, heck of a lot of smoke coming out from under the tractor fun times.Also loved the air starts with NO muffler on them you could scare the heck out of people at a stoplight

Nothing smelled worse than exhaust coming thru the intake.
I can't imagine how many women I made wet their pants with that starter.

Late 1966 I asked at a local house job if they needed drivers. They said yes and asked if I had experience. I lied and said yes even though I'd never driven TT. They told me to come in the next day for a road test. They had a fleet of H model Macks and a few other odd tractors. I then went to a local Mack dealer and got an owners manual to quickly learn about transmissions, controls, etc. Took my road test the next day and the rest is history or hysterical, take your choice. :smile new:

PS - Backing a trailer was no problem since I did towing with my own small wrecker and knew how to back up with something attached behind.

Late 1966 I asked at a local house job if they needed drivers. They said yes and asked if I had experience. I lied and said yes even though I'd never driven TT. They told me to come in the next day for a road test. They had a fleet of H model Macks and a few other odd tractors. I then went to a local Mack dealer and got an owners manual to quickly learn about transmissions, controls, etc. Took my road test the next day and the rest is history or hysterical, take your choice. :smile new:

PS - Backing a trailer was no problem since I did towing with my own small wrecker and knew how to back up with something attached behind.
Before my road test I had worked the dock at Roadway for a few months. So on the way back to Roadway's open dock after my road test, I missed the turn into the yard. As me and the supervisor drove by, all my fellow workers waved and yelled.

Before my road test I had worked the dock at Roadway for a few months. So on the way back to Roadway's open dock after my road test, I missed the turn into the yard. As me and the supervisor drove by, all my fellow workers waved and yelled.
See, you were already a Big R Driver and didn't know it!