ODFL | Automatic trucks.

Thats similar to what we had. It was a rockwell meritor 2000 version. Had a manual paddle to stay in any gear you please including reverse.

That was the thing reversing to back into a dock. Once you got her moving, clutch is out you needed to put that trailer straight into the hole in ONE MOVE without stopping at all. And that became my trade mark skill. In she goes.

If I stopped while backing? She would start hopping like a kids bounce house and then refuse to engage power.

The traffic lights are a another issue. Go into say... chicago and get a green? Everyone is gone. You are sitting there in everyones way in a horrible pause waiting for her to get a gear and move out.

The last time she did that pause I thought were going to get shot for it.
The 12 speed Endurants don’t hop. You can even feather the brakes with one.

I Would rather drive a manual in snow, for sure. But these can handle it.

In some outfits we did not care (No one did...) what the trucks were put through as long we were at the receiver in a timely manner.

There was a awful lot of converstations that included the words like yes officer, no officer... etc.

The 12 speed Endurants don’t hop. You can even feather the brakes with one.

I Would rather drive a manual in snow, for sure. But these can handle it.
I think that’s the Eaton ultrashift right? If so, I can vouch for this transmission as well. The 10 speed automated manuals were literally 10 speed Eaton fuller manual transmissions with solenoids to control the shifting and clutch, they’re dogs. The 12 speed was built from the ground up as an automatic and shift without delay. I used to despise automatic trucks, but I’ve been spoiled the last few years with this 12 speed and get annoyed when I have to drive a spare with a 10 speed manual, or 10 speed automatic.

I think that’s the Eaton ultrashift right? If so, I can vouch for this transmission as well. The 10 speed automated manuals were literally 10 speed Eaton fuller manual transmissions with solenoids to control the shifting and clutch, they’re dogs. The 12 speed was built from the ground up as an automatic and shift without delay. I used to despise automatic trucks, but I’ve been spoiled the last few years with this 12 speed and get annoyed when I have to drive a spare with a 10 speed manual, or 10 speed automatic.
Yes and no. The Endurant is even one more newer step up from the Ultrashift. A Co-operative design between Eaton and Cummins. Not available until the 2020 models.

No double shafts I’m told. The book says Lighter, and in line main shaft shifting makes it smoother. I’m no mechanic, I just drive it!

Visitor here. Drive a ‘21 shaker with 12 speed auto in MI. Not a fan in snow, the ECO neutral going downhill should be illegal imo. Get 7.6 all inclusive MPG (shared with P&D), 1280 r’s @ 69.125 mph. I’ve said it before, rather have a 10 sp. Of course I’d rather have a Volvo too.

Good heavens what is that growth on top of there?

Hand me a nice 15 or 18 with a proper stack of splitters please.

I have kept silent about the idea that automatics coast in big rigs. from my very first day in truck school to now I always kept power to the drives. The key word always will carry occasional exceptions depending on situations.

Get a 10 mile drop off a mountain with a 20 mile run out at the bottom straight on, let her go. 150 plus gravity assisted straight down. Just dont try to stop. =) keep dispatch happy.

I got 10 mpg once, but was speeding @ 52. I was really knocking down those mile sticks that time.
You forgot to mention, you were coasting!
When we had our fuel mileage contests the computer kicked out anything showing over 7 mpg.
This was older 6v92s with 9 spds.
I still think you could get 7 by keeping the speed down.
They claimed that over 50 mph, wind resistance was the big factor.

You forgot to mention, you were coasting!
When we had our fuel mileage contests the computer kicked out anything showing over 7 mpg.
This was older 6v92s with 9 spds.
I still think you could get 7 by keeping the speed down.
They claimed that over 50 mph, wind resistance was the big factor.
And much of that was mountain driving in Illinois, and Iowa.