Averitt | Averitt using contractor companies more and more now.

In Knx. I am seeing less and less Landstar trucks on the yard. But Thursday night at 6:00pm we had 12 sleepers, LTL and TL pulling LTL, that had their hours back and 5 more coming in with 8hrs or more to run. That is killing our local unassigned drivers. This week that was me, unassigned, since the guy I meet was on vacation and they covered his end with TL. So next weeks check will be 400.00 less for me than my bid.
But yes I would much rather see TL drivers helping us cover our freight than outside carriers.

Averitt is running a test out of NOR, using T/L units dedicated to Sleeper Shuttle to see if it works out better than using outside vendors to pull LTL freight. Usually T/L pulled ONE WAY LTL shuttle freight in the past. I really like pulling LTL on way freight...except:::: KNX to Eighty Four PA, CLT to Rock Tavern NY or Cumberland MD. AVRT really needs to pump up the trucks if they think you can run NAS-OKC LEGALLY.....You can do KNX or ORL ONLY if everything works in your favor. FUL to MIA is a piece of cake if you run the FLA turnpike all the way. Nor to MIA the same way. You cannot run from BTR to ORL or JMS to ORL in one shot. Anything from Dal or HOU to FL requires a 10hr break enrte. MFS to Fla requires a 10brk entre. GBO to ORL or Tam can be done in one shot...anything beyond that requires a 10hr break enrte...same thing out of CLT going south...I'd love to spend the next 12-18 months pulling LTL for .435 just in and out and around FL.....THEN ADIO'S

Not sure are aware but we were told that any TL trailer 10800 or higher is off limits to LTL. Funny how I pulled an 11xxx trailer last night.

T/l is not supposed to pull trls lower than 10800......This came about as LTL sold off too many trls AGAIN and were complaining that they didn't have enough trls. I see many newer T/L trailers at the docks loading shuttle freight. Some one decided T/L has more than enough trls. What I find interesting is....when it comes down to servicing a customer or not it's ok to use lower number trls.. Heck at the CIN serctr...they are using a 11xxx trl parked at the front of the serctr, parked sideways with a banner ....NOW HIRING LOCAL,OTR and REGIONAL drivers.

I saw several 536+xx and newer on the HOU yard for sale.
In AE's mind, like with this goofy uniform policy. It's all about being pretty, not about being right.

T/l is not supposed to pull trls lower than 10800......This came about as LTL sold off too many trls AGAIN and were complaining that they didn't have enough trls. I see many newer T/L trailers at the docks loading shuttle freight. Some one decided T/L has more than enough trls. What I find interesting is....when it comes down to servicing a customer or not it's ok to use lower number trls.. Heck at the CIN serctr...they are using a 11xxx trl parked at the front of the serctr, parked sideways with a banner ....NOW HIRING LOCAL,OTR and REGIONAL drivers.
I wouldnt say they sold off too many as 500- 53ft, numerous 48's and 40's have been purchased and put into the system. City does have a need for some swing doors as some customers need the full 102 inches or the full height of the trailer to load their product, but I'd suspect it's more of the age of the equipment. Years ago they did a similar move and that purpose was said to keep the older aging trailers in routes that would have them closer to service centers instead of in the system and sent wildly to other areas where outside vendors would have to be called for repairs. Honestly though, who can ever 2nd guess or understand what those in Cookeville are thinking when they make a rule?

In Knx. I am seeing less and less Landstar trucks on the yard. But Thursday night at 6:00pm we had 12 sleepers, LTL and TL pulling LTL, that had their hours back and 5 more coming in with 8hrs or more to run. That is killing our local unassigned drivers. This week that was me, unassigned, since the guy I meet was on vacation and they covered his end with TL. So next weeks check will be 400.00 less for me than my bid.
But yes I would much rather see TL drivers helping us cover our freight than outside carriers.
I was told Landstar would be seen even less after this week. So what does that mean when freight slows down? If you are losing work now to other drivers who will they choose to do the run in Dec and Jan?

I'm not sure of the numbers that are staying home but yes, shuttle guys are sitting throughout the system, teams are sitting and waiting more, single sleepers are waiting for hours even after their break is over, some stayed at home 2 days this week. City guys getting the option of taking off, or sent home early. Miles are down, hours are cut back due to lack of work, but yet contractors, part time, and temp drivers still coming in and working. Shaking my head at the over hiring.

<<---- This guy is SO SO glad to not be associated with such a screwed up company anymore. You guys have my sympathies. I watched it for almost 20 years and it never changes, the "leaders" never changed, but they brought on losers from other companies that pose as leaders and it has gotten worse. Most all of the drivers that I keep in contact with (most left like I did) say it is getting worse by the day which does not surprise me one bit.

We are blessed in Knx with the same SCD for the past 27 years, our OPs manager is a 20 year man also with a CDL. It is common to see one of them driving and one or both humping freight during the heavy times, leading by example makes a world of difference.

We are blessed in Knx with the same SCD for the past 27 years, our OPs manager is a 20 year man also with a CDL. It is common to see one of them driving and one or both humping freight during the heavy times, leading by example makes a world of difference.
If other terminals had that, the company may be a better place. You don't know what it is like to work in a terminal that is a joke and besides KNX, most of them are. Consider yourself lucky.