ABF | BA plans to re-write contract

peter guzinnia

TB Lurker
Credits
New York supplement , Article 72 , Excessive overtime . Here at terminal 381 we have filed over a dozen grievances for excessive OT . There is no resolution according to the BA . Instead of finding a resolution the BA plans to re-write article 72 in the next contract , where as there will no longer be language saying anything about the excessive OT . I was also told by my BA that ABF can work us as many hours as DOT allows and there is nothing that the union will do about it . Also the BA will not take the grievance to panel because , "it is a lose , lose situation" , BA also stated the language in article 72 is antiquated and those words mean nothing . I thought the BA was suppose to fight for us , not against us . If this article is re-written then the company will just keep forcing OT on city/dock workers with no recourse .

New York supplement , Article 72 , Excessive overtime . Here at terminal 381 we have filed over a dozen grievances for excessive OT . There is no resolution according to the BA . Instead of finding a resolution the BA plans to re-write article 72 in the next contract , where as there will no longer be language saying anything about the excessive OT . I was also told by my BA that ABF can work us as many hours as DOT allows and there is nothing that the union will do about it . Also the BA will not take the grievance to panel because , "it is a lose , lose situation" , BA also stated the language in article 72 is antiquated and those words mean nothing . I thought the BA was suppose to fight for us , not against us . If this article is re-written then the company will just keep forcing OT on city/dock workers with no recourse .

Maybe a whole bunch of guys need to surround the BA out in the yard and explain things to him, nicely of course.

What is he writing on the grievances? No merit? If no satisfaction with B/A, then go to the President of the local, if no satisfaction, go to president of Joint council, I would make sure the B/. A. at least signs off on the grievance that he's aware of the issue and refused to fight it, keep a paper trail

You want your BA to take the grievance to committee and get a resolution. Do you not understand that the "resolution" is that you will lose and then the OT question is forever resolved? When a committee decision is made, there is no longer any chance of negotiation to attempt a compromise.

You want your BA to take the grievance to committee and get a resolution. Do you not understand that the "resolution" is that you will lose and then the OT question is forever resolved? When a committee decision is made, there is no longer any chance of negotiation to attempt a compromise.
Not necessarily true. Every decision made must strictly adhere to the contract. If not, legal options are available.

Last edited:
Easy solution. Vote the contract down.

What is he writing on the grievances? No merit? If no satisfaction with B/A, then go to the President of the local, if no satisfaction, go to president of Joint council, I would make sure the B/. A. at least signs off on the grievance that he's aware of the issue and refused to fight it, keep a paper trail
always taught if you don't reject, it means you accept, show you fought it and keep a detailed paper trail

Doesn’t your contract contain language, that they can force you to stay 2 hours beyond 8, as long as they notify you by your 6th hour? 10 hours total.
Nope, I'm going to submit a proposal like that, hopefully the BA will go along with it....by the way the BA is a woman..

Do you know how the supplement is worded or you just talking out your butt like normal...