ABF | BA plans to re-write contract

I think its the unions way of politely telling you to work the OT when no carrier can hire enough drivers. Wrong business for you if you want 8 and skate or minimal OT. So what is ABF to do with this union bargained xtra work?? Let workers they have chose to go home after 8 when they have work for 10?
OK GO HOME on 8 and the minute they use contractors or hypothetically hire immigrant cdl drivers with H-2B visas to cover their work this same go home after 8 group will be belly aching to the union about ABF giving away good work/ jobs. Everyone try to pitch in where you can, Work the freight when its heavy and keep your good paying union company financially healthy as the high tide won't last forever.

I think its the unions way of politely telling you to work the OT when no carrier can hire enough drivers. Wrong business for you if you want 8 and skate or minimal OT. So what is ABF to do with this union bargained xtra work?? Let workers they have chose to go home after 8 when they have work for 10?
OK GO HOME on 8 and the minute they use contractors or hypothetically hire immigrant cdl drivers with H-2B visas to cover their work this same go home after 8 group will be belly aching to the union about ABF giving away good work/ jobs. Everyone try to pitch in where you can, Work the freight when its heavy and keep your good paying union company financially healthy as the high tide won't last forever.
It's not about 8 and skate or even 10.....its a circus every year, like it's a big shock we get busy in the summer, then they will lay a guy off in the winter so you can continue to work 50 or 55 hours...

You want your BA to take the grievance to committee and get a resolution. Do you not understand that the "resolution" is that you will lose and then the OT question is forever resolved? When a committee decision is made, there is no longer any chance of negotiation to attempt a compromise.
Do you know how the supplement is worded or you just talking out your butt like normal...
Here you go Blade!!! For your reading enjoyment. And don’t try cherry picking just the parts you want to accept. Read it all.

47D26EA4-0B21-482D-90DF-79D1E40A86A6.md.png

Funny you should mention the inability to hire. Here at the Rock, we currently have ten (10) applications being processed for full time employment with CDL’s and all the required endorsements. I wonder how many will give up and go to work somewhere else waiting for ABF’s usual 3 to 6 month processing time. I am sure the same applies at 381’s location as well. And, ABF381 is not talking about “8 and skate” as you put it. They are consistently working them past ten (10) hours daily and usually more like twelve (12) hours daily. Even with their Article 72 language that is supposed to prevent the excessive overtime. Bottom line, ABF needs to quite playing games with potential applicants and speed up the hiring process.

Funny you should mention the inability to hire. Here at the Rock, we currently have ten (10) applications being processed for full time employment with CDL’s and all the required endorsements. I wonder how many will give up and go to work somewhere else waiting for ABF’s usual 3 to 6 month processing time. I am sure the same applies at 381’s location as well. And, ABF381 is not talking about “8 and skate” as you put it. They are consistently working them past ten (10) hours daily and usually more like twelve (12) hours daily. Even with their Article 72 language that is supposed to prevent the excessive overtime. Bottom line, ABF needs to quite playing games with potential applicants and speed up the hiring process.
Old game they would rather pay o/t (no benny contr.), then hire and pay benefits

Not to mention we’re $3+ dollars below what other companies are paying….

I don't think you understand quite how many hours ABF expects from their employees. It's a grind, and even the hardest worker gets worn out.

Here you go Blade!!! For your reading enjoyment. And don’t try cherry picking just the parts you want to accept. Read it all.

47D26EA4-0B21-482D-90DF-79D1E40A86A6.md.png
Guess what!
That is the same language we had 25 years ago. Contract language means nothing if a committee rules against you. There is no appeal of a decision made at any level of the grievance procedure. If this BA is saying it's a loser, you should believe him.

Not necessarily true. Every decision made must strictly adhere to the contract. If not, legal options are available.
Nonsense!!
The JC 40 contract once said that if a dockworker was required to use a forklift, there would be a 5 cent per hour premium paid for the entire shift. The grievance committee ruled that the premium would only apply to time actually spent on the forklift.
The union presented the case and the committee ruled. Just what do you think is the legal option? The decision is not appealable. No court will review the facts of the case.

Last edited:
Nonsense!!
The JC 40 contract once said that if a dockworker was required to use a forklift, there would be a 5 cent per hour premium paid for the entire shift. The grievance committee ruled that the premium would only apply to time actually spent on the forklift.
The union presented the case and the committee ruled. Just what do you think is the legal option? The decision is not appealable. No court will review the facts of the case.
Not true, after you have exhausted all union options, you can take it to the labor board, unless the company and union agreed that the decision was final and binding

Guess what!
That is the same language we had 25 years ago. Contract language means nothing if a committee rules against you. There is no appeal of a decision made at any level of the grievance procedure. If this BA is saying it's a loser, you should believe him.
Why? She didn't even understand what we were talking about with this article until it was explained to her.....its plain English so I don't see it as a loser....

Nonsense!!
You are so wrong you give credence to the expression "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Civil laws give arbitration the ability to decide contractual disputes without the parties going to court. However, there are conditions stipulated in giving arbitrators that power. One very important condition is that arbitration must explicitly follow the contract (a legal document) and the arbitration cannot add to or detract from the contract. So you are totally wrong in stating that an arbitration is not appealable. As a matter of fact, that's precisely what I did many years ago when I retained an excellent labor attorney and went to court and had an arbitration decision reversed. So take your erroneous bluster and try to learn something new.