Pitt-Ohio | Back to the main Board

I was active for a while but we seem to have very few drivers on here, at least those that are willing to participate. I’ll make a point to post company news that’s worth mentioning since, like many on Truckingboards, I’m curious about what’s going on at other LTL companies.
Thank you sir, thats how to get activity

I was active for a while but we seem to have very few drivers on here, at least those that are willing to participate. I’ll make a point to post company news that’s worth mentioning since, like many on Truckingboards, I’m curious about what’s going on at other LTL companies.
Well wb, I’ll give you some info on a small regional LTL that Pitt/Ohio owns 75% of...Ross Express. I started a dock only gig with Ross after retiring with a extended caree in the LTL biz with St. Johnsbury Trucking, Con-Way Freight, and XPO Logistics LTL Freight. The Ross terminal is small, too small, and management is looking to buy property to build an adequate barn for its growing business. They had a piece of land that they were looking into about 2 months ago. Haven’t heard a peep of any progress on them moving forward on this prospect.
Question: Does Ross control the decisions on purchases of land for bigger terminal barns, or does Pitt/Ohio?

I can’t say for certain how that works, but my assumption is that with 75% ownership Pitt Ohio would be doing the decision making and providing most or all of the capital. And not hearing any news is classic Pitt. They are very conservative when it comes to expansion and will not rush into any project before thoroughly researching the need and how best to approach it before proceeding, in this case that would include deciding whether to expand the current location or consider relocating to a facility that is currently or soon to be vacant. If it does involve relocating, then there’s the time needed for renovation as they tend to go all out when moving into a previously owned building, from paving to renovating the office to adding a shop if needed. Again this is just my opinion based on what I’ve seen in the past, but the solution to the situation at your terminal could easily be several months to a year or more in the making.

I can’t say for certain how that works, but my assumption is that with 75% ownership Pitt Ohio would be doing the decision making and providing most or all of the capital. And not hearing any news is classic Pitt. They are very conservative when it comes to expansion and will not rush into any project before thoroughly researching the need and how best to approach it before proceeding, in this case that would include deciding whether to expand the current location or consider relocating to a facility that is currently or soon to be vacant. If it does involve relocating, then there’s the time needed for renovation as they tend to go all out when moving into a previously owned building, from paving to renovating the office to adding a shop if needed. Again this is just my opinion based on what I’ve seen in the past, but the solution to the situation at your terminal could easily be several months to a year or more in the making.
Thx for your 2cents web. Will keep u updated as events occur relative to this subject.

I noticed when they bought Dohrn they were separate including their original website. Once completed the purchase (4-5 years) the website is Dohrn colors but the same otherwise. Dohrn’s terminals then showed on the service map to. Ross show as an interline but not the terminals on the map. Either this year or next when they take full ownership it will probably change. I was chatting with a Dohrn driver and when Pitt took full ownership they followed suit no OT till you reach top rate at year 3 then OT after 40.

Well wb, I’ll give you some info on a small regional LTL that Pitt/Ohio owns 75% of...Ross Express. I started a dock only gig with Ross after retiring with a extended caree in the LTL biz with St. Johnsbury Trucking, Con-Way Freight, and XPO Logistics LTL Freight. The Ross terminal is small, too small, and management is looking to buy property to build an adequate barn for its growing business. They had a piece of land that they were looking into about 2 months ago. Haven’t heard a peep of any progress on them moving forward on this prospect.
Question: Does Ross control the decisions on purchases of land for bigger terminal barns, or does Pitt/Ohio?
What terminal were they looking to expand ? I know the one in CT is pretty new for Ross

Sutton, MA
some times when the o/b is heavy here at the Ross Sutton barn, our o/b super has us load the p&d drivers local delivery picks into empty straight trucks just to save on floor space. That way the dock won’t get totally jammed up allowing line haul to depart on time.
we sure could use a lot more space. Just hope when Pitt/Ohio takes over, they will get a new facility for us here in central Massachusetts. Then again, although I hate the small terminal here, I like this place cause it’s only 3.5 miles and only 7 minutes from my house.

Not to be Debbie Downer but I wouldn’t hold my breathe on a new or larger terminal quickly. I’ve only been to 4 Pitt terminals that didn’t need more space, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Charelston and Indianapolis. Cleveland’s terminal is brand new and it’s huge. But it took like 5 years to complete. Most of the time was fighting with the city on permits and code. Indy just moved into their new to them terminal. I believe the acquisition and remodel took a little over a year. I’m sure it was in the planning stages for awhile before that. One thing I have learned is that Pitt is very methodical with their moves. Whether it’s expansion or hiring. We don’t jump into anything. But I believe that increases job security.

some times when the o/b is heavy here at the Ross Sutton barn, our o/b super has us load the p&d drivers local delivery picks into empty straight trucks just to save on floor space. That way the dock won’t get totally jammed up allowing line haul to depart on time.
we sure could use a lot more space. Just hope when Pitt/Ohio takes over, they will get a new facility for us here in central Massachusetts. Then again, although I hate the small terminal here, I like this place cause it’s only 3.5 miles and only 7 minutes from my house.
Is your terminal one that, along with East Granby, CT that brings Pitt Ohio freight into the Ross system? If so, an option might be to make an adjustment there to ease the volume. If you’re the second closest terminal to Pitt Ohio’s service area than that might not change if it would put a strain on linehaul as far as interlining the freight. Another option though would be to realign your terminal’s service area and transfer some zip codes to other terminals. I looked at an aerial view of your terminal and an an expansion could be met with resistance from nearby homeowners. As michaelscott and I have said though, whatever the solution might be it could take a while to be implemented as they weigh the options.

I noticed when they bought Dohrn they were separate including their original website. Once completed the purchase (4-5 years) the website is Dohrn colors but the same otherwise. Dohrn’s terminals then showed on the service map to. Ross show as an interline but not the terminals on the map. Either this year or next when they take full ownership it will probably change. I was chatting with a Dohrn driver and when Pitt took full ownership they followed suit no OT till you reach top rate at year 3 then OT after 40.
I would’ve been nice for them to have been grandfathered in but it’s my understanding that they did see an initial improvement in their compensation package but I don’t know the details. I know there were definitely some infrastructure and equipment upgrades early on.

I would’ve been nice for them to have been grandfathered in but it’s my understanding that they did see an initial improvement in their compensation package but I don’t know the details. I know there were definitely some infrastructure and equipment upgrades early on.
I heard their pay was low b/4 you bought them .

Mass is not truck friendly, expanding would be tough. I can see option by opening another terminal down off I-95 down around Milford. That would let them realign the area and free up space.

Mass is not truck friendly, expanding would be tough. I can see option by opening another terminal down off I-95 down around Milford. That would let them realign the area and free up space.
I really don’t know what p/o management is thinking on their Ross Sutton MA expansion plans. I know that they looked into buying an A Duie Pile barn in Webster MA that’s for sale, but the asking price was too high. Then I heard that they were going to look at a piece of land off route 20 in Auburn MA. Don’t know if they followed through on that plan.Somewhere around 300 Washington street,(route 20), is where they said they were gonna look. Not gonna hold my breath for them to do anything quick. Why? It’s taking an act of Congress for them to make a decision on getting a worn out cylinder on my fork truck to be repaired. When it totally starts leaking and won’t lift any freight is when they’ll decide to fix it. If not, then I guess I’ll quit, cause I’m not moving freight with a pallet Jack.

Is your terminal one that, along with East Granby, CT that brings Pitt Ohio freight into the Ross system? If so, an option might be to make an adjustment there to ease the volume. If you’re the second closest terminal to Pitt Ohio’s service area than that might not change if it would put a strain on linehaul as far as interlining the freight. Another option though would be to realign your terminal’s service area and transfer some zip codes to other terminals. I looked at an aerial view of your terminal and an an expansion could be met with resistance from nearby homeowners. As michaelscott and I have said though, whatever the solution might be it could take a while to be implemented as they weigh the options.
yeah WB, the Ross Sutton barn dumps tons of freight into the p/o system , about 2 or 3 full vans every night. I seriously doubt that they will give up any zips to their CT barn. And Ross Sutton being in an industrial park leaves no room for expansion here. The only thing they can do,that makes economic, sense is to build a bigger barn close by.

I heard their pay was low b/4 you bought them .
We were told the buildings and equipment weren’t in the
best of shape either. We had a bunch of used white Volvos come through our terminal that the mechanics drove out to a Dohrn terminal on weekends. I understand those were a big improvement over what they had.