ABF | Bad news from Laredo.

And.. R.I.P. for all the ones that die in their sleeper bunks and motel rooms....away from loved ones........

Stress is a killer.

And all the ones who die because of some other motorist's stupid error. Supposedly " highway deaths per mile" are down,......but that's only because the NHTSB keeps adding more miles to the figure by designating more roads as "highways".........In raw numbers,...eight times as many truck drivers die on duty, as do policemen and firemen combined..........making this the most lethal job per capita in America......

Stress and stupidity.......

In raw numbers,...eight times as many truck drivers die on duty, as do policemen and firemen combined..........making this the most lethal job per capita in America......
Really? I didn't know this one, I know that we have one hell of a high injury rate.

I'ts something that seems to be hard to nail down. OSHA used to claim farming was the most lethal occupation,......but that was before the Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety was forced to start providing statistics on fatal occupational injuries in trucking back in 1996(?). At that time, OSHA used a pie chart to show fatalities by occupation. The first year truck drivers were included, we blew up the pie chart, and OSHA went to a graph.

Eventually, they did away with visual aids such as charts and graphs , and issued only figures. It seems that it was embarrassing to the trucking industry to be so predominantly figured in occupational fatalities.

Remember,.....trucking isn't covered by OSHA. We are covered by the BMCS.....same as mining is covered by the MSHA. Those organizations are responsible to provide statistics to the Bureau of Labor.

You have to slog through a lot of figures, but the last time I did it, a couple of years ago, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics,.....I came up with the eight times more figure in raw numbers.......actual deaths, as it were. I think the graphs and pie charts were ......."embarrassing"........some companies in the trucking industry.........so they made it a little harder to find the truth .

Went back to the Bureau of Labor Statistics site, and lo and behold,........they went back to graphics and pie charts.....

Out of the 4834 fatal occupational injuries reported in 2014........1984 were in transportation,......and I believe that was broken down into road and highway fatalities,......and "other".......with highway fatalities around 1200.

I'm just skimming these numbers off the top of my head after a quick look at the site,.....so they're all a couple of digits off either way...........but the main point stands that trucking is the most lethal occupation in this country.......

Remember that when they ask for another pay cut..........

Went back to the Bureau of Labor Statistics site, and lo and behold,........they went back to graphics and pie charts.....

Out of the 4834 fatal occupational injuries reported in 2014........1984 were in transportation,......and I believe that was broken down into road and highway fatalities,......and "other".......with highway fatalities around 1200.

I'm just skimming these numbers off the top of my head after a quick look at the site,.....so they're all a couple of digits off either way...........but the main point stands that trucking is the most lethal occupation in this country.......

Remember that when they ask for another pay cut..........

Hey, were lucky just to HAVE jobs, remember?

Yeah,...... after 40 years of this, I keep forgetting......
Nobody wants to read the fine print.

2009-12-18_085453_dontforget.jpg