ABF | be prepared

Well said my friend, his post are pointless, especially since he is here just to be negative.

how is this for being positive, i'm positive the negative press your contract negotiations are generating isnt good for business. i believe i posted that point earlier as it is speading of your stalled talks.

All that bad press has me working more than I want to to cover the demand for our services. :shrug:

My assistant Steward just told me of a YRC terminal in our area that has laid off 6 men on a 14 man board. I don't know, we only have one man more or less laid off, and one guy getting at least 3 or 4 days, on an eleven man board. And like Brother ABFer, I'm racking up a little more overtime than this old man can usually want. I've seen other seasonal slowdowns after the first of the year that have been far worse than this. For being only two and a half months away from the end of our contract......I'd say we are pretty busy, and we aren't really seeing any business leaving due to rumored future labor unrest.

how is this for being positive, i'm positive the negative press your contract negotiations are generating isnt good for business. i believe i posted that point earlier as it is speading of your stalled talks.

Brother....the talks may be "stalled',....but I think every freight analyst out there knows that both ABF management and the IBT realize just how crippling a work stoppage/ strike / lockout / slowdown could be.....and I expect every analyst out there figures it'll be "business as usual" for however long it takes for ABF and the IBT to hammer out an agreement. Could ABF, in the future, try the Hostess Bakery/ IBC bankruptcy path to get out of their union contract? Possibly........but the overall economic climate has to be very different than what we have now....and I, personally, can't see them pulling that during contract talks..........if they do that stinky trick, they'll wait a couple of years to cook the books enough to prove they're going "bankrupt", and it's us "Greedy Teamsters" that put them into Chapter 7. I don't think their accounting department is quite ready for that kind of scrutiny.....yet. There's been rumors of our competitor's salespeople trying to stampede customers into shipping with them instead of ABF,.....but I think that's kind of backfiring on them. Don't forget....that very thing was tried before,...in fact, several times before,....and ..Lo and Behold! ABF is still here,....which makes the salesman who told you they were going to fold and hold your freight, look like an opportunistic liar.....I mean...more of an opportunistic liar than what a salesman normally looks like. I think the shippers are a little wiser, and a little leery of some competitors' salesperson predicting the financial doom of their mortal enemy,..their competing carrier,..whomever it may be. We appreciate your concern.....but I really think we'll be fine.

My assistant Steward just told me of a YRC terminal in our area that has laid off 6 men on a 14 man board. I don't know, we only have one man more or less laid off, and one guy getting at least 3 or 4 days, on an eleven man board. And like Brother ABFer, I'm racking up a little more overtime than this old man can usually want. I've seen other seasonal slowdowns after the first of the year that have been far worse than this. For being only two and a half months away from the end of our contract......I'd say we are pretty busy, and we aren't really seeing any business leaving due to rumored future labor unrest.
Man we are very uncharacteristically busy for this time of year. Last two years we fell off in january but now it seems to have picked up from what it was before the holidays.

We're holding our own too and everyone is working.Infact we just had to guys approved by the Fort to come on board in the spring.

I work for holland in DE and I can tell you what you think you are voting for and what you get are two different things with all the hidden language in the contract. Be sure you ask as many questions as you feel necessary. Here in DE they will work the 4 hour casuals as long as they want on the dock and send anyone that is layed off and called in to work the dock only 6 hours. We have men that bid 5:30 am and work the dock until 12:-1:00 pm and then are sent on the street until 7: pm every day until they are out of hours on friday.