ABF | be prepared

Im just wondering how do i block "ex drivers" comments ? I don't need to waste space in my brain with his management comments

I'm not sure, look around under settings, check his profile for a spot to ignore his posts, 'ignore' is the word you are looking for.

Kind of sounds to me that he has a hidden agenda here. I am not sure what he is doing, I just think he has more at stake then just a interest in our contract.
No doubt about that and he or she thinks they're so smart that they'll come out, post the way they're posting and not get noticed for what they are? :shrug:

No doubt about that and he or she thinks they're so smart that they'll come out, post the way they're posting and not get noticed for what they are? :shrug:

I agree with you 100%, He has a agenda, don't think he has our best interest in mind,

what could i possibly do to anyone by posting here. so lets state so facts. is upper management greedy, yes they are paid too much. are the drivers underpaid, always have and always will be, should be making 40.00 per hour in my opinion. but the industry doesnt look at it that way. fact is the drivers and dock labor are the biggest expense to a trucking co. they have no control of fuel cost and vehicle cost but can control labor cost. right now, they intend on bringing those cost more in line with their largest competitor yrc. the same people who gave yrc the break are the same people they are negotiating with now. its business 101 if you strike you will not have a job to go back to. your frt will easily be absorbed into an under-capacity system. you stand alone and it is a vey dangerous situation to be in.

what could i possibly do to anyone by posting here. so lets state so facts. is upper management greedy, yes they are paid too much. are the drivers underpaid, always have and always will be, should be making 40.00 per hour in my opinion. but the industry doesnt look at it that way. fact is the drivers and dock labor are the biggest expense to a trucking co. they have no control of fuel cost and vehicle cost but can control labor cost. right now, they intend on bringing those cost more in line with their largest competitor yrc. the same people who gave yrc the break are the same people they are negotiating with now. its business 101 if you strike you will not have a job to go back to. your frt will easily be absorbed into an under-capacity system. you stand alone and it is a vey dangerous situation to be in.

I like to know what you are doing now, and why are you soo concerned about our contract. I am not willing to vote for concessions, and I really don't think it is in the company's best interest not to bargain and possible a strike, nobody will win there, but it sure is not in our best interest to take concessions, no matter what the cost. and I get so tired of hearing at least you have a job, or this is better then nothing. that is a bunch of hogwash. We are not YRCW, and ABF is profitable, they are asking for a whole lot more concessions then YRCW have taken which is not acceptable. as far as the pension, if they are wanting to cut our pension then again it is a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI will not accept a contract with part timers 4 hour casuals, or any part of split shifts. as far as wages, there is no need for a cut there either...............

You are management, aren't you? All of a sudden, ...except for punctuation...your posts have gotten very lucid, and your spelling has gotten better. I'm an inveterate reader, and I notice stuff like that. Your earlier posts have punctuation and spelling errors that seem to be forced.....kind of like you're playing down to us dummy drivers by attempting to talk the lingo....Trucker Ebonics? Besides that...if I've deduced correctly that you are in management, that would bring the direction and "gist' of your posts into a more understandable light. You don't seem to have the pride of profession that the rest of us...irregardless of whether we're Union or non-Union....instinctively have. Well,...are you? Is that the "new profession" that you're employed at? Personally, I wouldn't mind if you stated outright that you were management....I wouldn't mind debating management people...I do it as a Steward on a daily basis. But to get on here and mis-represent yourself as an "ex-driver" who only has his former comrade-in-arms' good will at heart is a little bit disingenuous. Now....to clear the air.....just what is your occupation? And...yes...it's real easy to lie on here, but I'm going to rely on your honorable instincts here.

I like to know what you are doing now, and why are you soo concerned about our contract. I am not willing to vote for concessions, and I really don't think it is in the company's best interest not to bargain and possible a strike, nobody will win there, but it sure is not in our best interest to take concessions, no matter what the cost. and I get so tired of hearing at least you have a job, or this is better then nothing. that is a bunch of hogwash. We are not YRCW, and ABF is profitable, they are asking for a whole lot more concessions then YRCW have taken which is not acceptable. as far as the pension, if they are wanting to cut our pension then again it is a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI will not accept a contract with part timers 4 hour casuals, or any part of split shifts. as far as wages, there is no need for a cut there either...............

you are 100% right. new penn was profitable they took the cut. the problem is yrc lowered the bar. that now becomes the starting point. like i said it is early, they will back off some of their demands making it look like they want to give some, but what they really want is lower payroll and part timers like yrc. maybe not as drastic, but some form of relief. that is where your contract stands. new penn and holland have shown black ink all along. they have not gone back to their original pay scale. in two years they will negotiate on what you settle for now. then they will have the tough decision. there is no solidarity when they split the contract. the nmfa is dead. its solo bargaining now.

You are management, aren't you? All of a sudden, ...except for punctuation...your posts have gotten very lucid, and your spelling has gotten better. I'm an inveterate reader, and I notice stuff like that. Your earlier posts have punctuation and spelling errors that seem to be forced.....kind of like you're playing down to us dummy drivers by attempting to talk the lingo....Trucker Ebonics? Besides that...if I've deduced correctly that you are in management, that would bring the direction and "gist' of your posts into a more understandable light. You don't seem to have the pride of profession that the rest of us...irregardless of whether we're Union or non-Union....instinctively have. Well,...are you? Is that the "new profession" that you're employed at? Personally, I wouldn't mind if you stated outright that you were management....I wouldn't mind debating management people...I do it as a Steward on a daily basis. But to get on here and mis-represent yourself as an "ex-driver" who only has his former comrade-in-arms' good will at heart is a little bit disingenuous. Now....to clear the air.....just what is your occupation? And...yes...it's real easy to lie on here, but I'm going to rely on your honorable instincts here.

ok i will tell that what i do. i bought my own tow truck 7 years ago and work for myself. very flexible schedule and might i say profitable. as far as my good will i am just telling you the other side of the coin. it is all one sided here and there could be dire consequences to your very imporatant decisions. also my grammer is not that bad. just because i was a truck driver doesn't make me an idiot.

you are 100% right. new penn was profitable they took the cut. the problem is yrc lowered the bar. that now becomes the starting point. like i said it is early, they will back off some of their demands making it look like they want to give some, but what they really want is lower payroll and part timers like yrc. maybe not as drastic, but some form of relief. that is where your contract stands. new penn and holland have shown black ink all along. they have not gone back to their original pay scale. in two years they will negotiate on what you settle for now. then they will have the tough decision. there is no solidarity when they split the contract. the nmfa is dead. its solo bargaining now.

Holland and New Penn have always been profitable, before and after YRCW has bought them, they are not the problem, YRCW management is the problem, Again we are not YRCW, we are ABF, and if I have any say WE WILL NEVER HAVE PART TIMERS, OR SPLIT SHIFTS, We all know what will happen if we give in to concessions. First Union Members will take cuts in wages, especially if part timers, or split shifts are allowed. ABF management pushes every second of the day now, what do you think it will be after contract is passed. Some live many miles away from their terminals, and it will be added expense which they cannot make up in wages. If the concessions are passed Union Members will be the one's who will be take the cuts, and management will be getting raises, profit sharing, or some other form of compensation raises, This is not acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I did not catch what you are doing now, and why you have such interest in our contract, if it does not affect you. Please enlighten us and tell us who you drove for before and what exactly are you doing now................................

Holland and New Penn have always been profitable, before and after YRCW has bought them, they are not the problem, YRCW management is the problem, Again we are not YRCW, we are ABF, and if I have any say WE WILL NEVER HAVE PART TIMERS, OR SPLIT SHIFTS, We all know what will happen if we give in to concessions. First Union Members will take cuts in wages, especially if part timers, or split shifts are allowed. ABF management pushes every second of the day now, what do you think it will be after contract is passed. Some live many miles away from their terminals, and it will be added expense which they cannot make up in wages. If the concessions are passed Union Members will be the one's who will be take the cuts, and management will be getting raises, profit sharing, or some other form of compensation raises, This is not acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I did not catch what you are doing now, and why you have such interest in our contract, if it does not affect you. Please enlighten us and tell us who you drove for before and what exactly are you doing now................................
you just said the obvious. yrc pay cut and part timers are now a reality in union contract bargaining. yrc lead the way there. i have given everybody very real situations on what may happen here. so why dont you tell me how you think this will play out. the company will buckle and give you the dollar you are asking for. no change in the current contract. abf will begin to make even more money bringing yrc up to your level. i doubt it.

ok i will tell that what i do. i bought my own tow truck 7 years ago and work for myself. very flexible schedule and might i say profitable. as far as my good will i am just telling you the other side of the coin. it is all one sided here and there could be dire consequences to your very imporatant decisions. also my grammer is not that bad. just because i was a truck driver doesn't make me an idiot.

Thank you for your honesty. I perceived a forced level of a kind of "talking down" to us in your posts. You're certainly not an idiot. Obviously you are taking the end of the NMFA to heart. Those of us that are still in it, though, understand everything you are saying....only we are sick of the givebacks and "beg-backs", and most of us here have decided to draw a line in the sand. Maybe that's stupid....but sometimes you have to hold your head up high and go down swinging, as it were.

Thank you for your honesty. I perceived a forced level of a kind of "talking down" to us in your posts. You're certainly not an idiot. Obviously you are taking the end of the NMFA to heart. Those of us that are still in it, though, understand everything you are saying....only we are sick of the givebacks and "beg-backs", and most of us here have decided to draw a line in the sand. Maybe that's stupid....but sometimes you have to hold your head up high and go down swinging, as it were.

i totally understand that. i was there once and can tell you it is not easy starting over. your options are more limited than mine were as more carriers have shut down. i feel you have to stay strong and united but open minded if you want to keep your job and pension alive. i fell 5 years short and now have to wait to see what is left for me to get.

you just said the obvious. yrc pay cut and part timers are now a reality in union contract bargaining. yrc lead the way there. i have given everybody very real situations on what may happen here. so why dont you tell me how you think this will play out. the company will buckle and give you the dollar you are asking for. no change in the current contract. abf will begin to make even more money bringing yrc up to your level. i doubt it.

ABF IS MAKING MONEY, I SEE NO REASON TO LOWER OUR STANDARDS TO YRCW. They can keep the raise, but I don't see the contract passing with concessions they are asking for. I will fight for my contract, and have to accept what happens after. But taking concessions is not in my or my family's best interest.

We know what's at stake....and many of us feel that we're negotiating for the entire industry...Union and non-Union. It's evident that if we take a concessionary contract, the entire industry will embark on a downward spiral.....NO job or employer will be worth the cheap wages and dangerous conditions they'll try to force on us. I notice that you became self-employed....and not in freight...after your stint in the Union. You and I ....and all of us know why you didn't go to a truckload carrier, in spite of their perennially hiring anyone who walks in the door. There isn't an experienced driver out there who would work for the rat-ball wages and conditions in the truckload side.....that's why they hire the "offshore" people they do. Many of us feel the LTL industry is only a step or two away from that......management couldn't care less....they see cheap labor and increased profits short-term. The long-term problems to safety on the highway, and quality to the customer....they could care less, because the current breed of management will be long retired and sitting on their fat gold bags from ****** this industry, and it's employees ...before any of the same problems that have surfaced in the truckload side become the same problems in the LTL side........and as far as they're concerned....that's not their problem.

we know what's at stake....and many of us feel that we're negotiating for the entire industry...union and non-union. It's evident that if we take a concessionary contract, the entire industry will embark on a downward spiral.....no job or employer will be worth the cheap wages and dangerous conditions they'll try to force on us. I notice that you became self-employed....and not in freight...after your stint in the union. You and i ....and all of us know why you didn't go to a truckload carrier, in spite of their perennially hiring anyone who walks in the door. There isn't an experienced driver out there who would work for the rat-ball wages and conditions in the truckload side.....that's why they hire the "offshore" people they do. Many of us feel the ltl industry is only a step or two away from that......management couldn't care less....they see cheap labor and increased profits short-term. The long-term problems to safety on the highway, and quality to the customer....they could care less, because the current breed of management will be long retired and sitting on their fat gold bags from ****** this industry, and it's employees ...before any of the same problems that have surfaced in the truckload side become the same problems in the ltl side........and as far as they're concerned....that's not their problem.

great post, dead on

We know what's at stake....and many of us feel that we're negotiating for the entire industry...Union and non-Union. It's evident that if we take a concessionary contract, the entire industry will embark on a downward spiral.....NO job or employer will be worth the cheap wages and dangerous conditions they'll try to force on us. I notice that you became self-employed....and not in freight...after your stint in the Union. You and I ....and all of us know why you didn't go to a truckload carrier, in spite of their perennially hiring anyone who walks in the door. There isn't an experienced driver out there who would work for the rat-ball wages and conditions in the truckload side.....that's why they hire the "offshore" people they do. Many of us feel the LTL industry is only a step or two away from that......management couldn't care less....they see cheap labor and increased profits short-term. The long-term problems to safety on the highway, and quality to the customer....they could care less, because the current breed of management will be long retired and sitting on their fat gold bags from ****** this industry, and it's employees ...before any of the same problems that have surfaced in the truckload side become the same problems in the LTL side........and as far as they're concerned....that's not their problem.

ok so what is plan b. say it comes to a strike. where do you go. work for the concessions at yrc, the no pension of ups freight, go non-union. i know that i would have a hard time facing my family saying that i lost my livlihood fighting for some wet back that works for jb hunt